Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel on Etihad or Qatar?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

Hey guys, trying to book a trip to Dubai using AAdvantage miles but cant decide between Etihad J and Qatar J (took aadvantage of BA F fare "mistake" on the way back). Both look like they'd be on the 777-300ER or 200LR. Etihad obviously lands at AUH and QR connects via Doha to DXB.

DFW based, but unfortunately both will require connects within the US. I like 1-2-1 on EY but QR's rep seems to be better. I've flown EK J so this isnt my first go-around with the Gulf longhaul.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since this question specifically concerns an AAdvantage award redemption, it is more appropriate here in the dedicated American Airlines forum.

Thanks.

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:55 pm

A lot of people will disagree however I prefer QR J. I find it to be more consistent.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Flew Etihad J on my honeymoon from AUH-JFK....stellar.

Between the black car service that is included (we used it both in AUH and NYC), and all the trimmings on board and pre-departure, hard to do much better.

I have not flown Qatar yet.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Depending on which airline you are flying back...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I'm in a similar boat and leaning towards EY F for the chauffuer service and because I'm planning to spend the bulk of my time in AUH rather than DXB.

I do wish the EY flight was daily because I'm planning to depart on a Wednesday night flight that doesn't arrive until late Thursday and return super early Sunday morning.

One question that I thought of is if I fly DFW-DOH-AUH and book DOH-AUH in "first" is the award cost 62.5k or 90k?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
My wife and I flew DFW-DOH in QR J last year and loved it, though it is much better suited for 2 people than 1, since otherwise window has to crawl over to get to aisle and there's little to no privacy from your seatmate.

One thing to note is that even if you think you need a connection at the moment in the US, the DFW-DOH could open up later (we got ours booked about 6 days before departure) saving you the connection.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keepssmile
Depending on which airline you are flying back...
Flying BA F through LHR. That was a mistake fare on their part so not changing that.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I'm in a similar boat and leaning towards EY F for the chauffuer service and because I'm planning to spend the bulk of my time in AUH rather than DXB.

I do wish the EY flight was daily because I'm planning to depart on a Wednesday night flight that doesn't arrive until late Thursday and return super early Sunday morning.

One question that I thought of is if I fly DFW-DOH-AUH and book DOH-AUH in "first" is the award cost 62.5k or 90k?
Sorry I misread. I am not sure. Good question

Last edited by shgroamer; Apr 14, 2015 at 4:42 pm Reason: Misread
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BayAArea
Flew Etihad J on my honeymoon from AUH-JFK....stellar.

Between the black car service that is included (we used it both in AUH and NYC), and all the trimmings on board and pre-departure, hard to do much better.

I have not flown Qatar yet.
My connection in JFK is a pain to get to (connect w 3 hr layover in Raleigh, all in Y), but there's availability from dfw-lga. Wonder if the black car will do an airport transfer?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44

One thing to note is that even if you think you need a connection at the moment in the US, the DFW-DOH could open up later (we got ours booked about 6 days before departure) saving you the connection.

Yeah I just am worried waiting that long. If I book awards now, can I change at no charge later if more availability opens up? I know if origin and destination are the same you can but not sure about eliminating connections.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
If it's a J award, you will be able to ticket it at 62.5k, just make sure the AAgent understands that the DOH-AUH segment is a 2 class flight where F is really J, similar to most domestic flights in the USA. I ran into this last year on an award and it wasn't a problem.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by shgroamer
Wonder if the black car will do an airport transfer?
QR doesn't offer chauffeur drive.

EY would let you go LGA-JFK for the pickup, though the main issue will be that the driver has to meet you at a certain time, usually not more than 5 hours in advance of your JFK flight. The driver also does not stay indefinitely. And with how delay prone LGA can be, it would be tough to say you'll be there at a particular 20-30 minute window if flying in, without planning to get in well before the pickup time, which results in a lot of sitting around for you at LGA.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shgroamer
Yeah I just am worried waiting that long. If I book awards now, can I change at no charge later if more availability opens up? I know if origin and destination are the same you can but not sure about eliminating connections.
It sounds like you have DFW-RDU-JFK-DOH-DXB on AA/QR. If you booked that and later the nonstop DFW-DOH-DXB opened up, you can switch for no fee (all oneworld and no change in origin or destination).

However if you tried to switch to EY DFW-AUH or DFW-JFK-AUH etc. you would be charged the $150 fee since EY is not oneworld and you're changing your destination to AUH.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
EY would let you go LGA-JFK for the pickup....
If the DFW-LGA/JFK-AUH flights are one ticket then EY definitely would not provide the chauffeur service at NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.