Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket I need to cancel that is under $200, what to do?

Old Apr 7, 15, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I have a one way reservation for 2 on Thursday that I cannot use. The total for both travelers is $341, $170.50 a piece. Booked as a code share on AA but on US metal.

With the change fee at $200, do I have any other option aside from losing it all?

Is it even worth it to cancel beforehand in case of a cancellation by the airline, etc?
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just let it go. It will cost more to make the change than the value of the tickets.

If the flight is cancelled or there is a significant schedule change (2+ hours), you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment.

Why can't you use the tickets and are you covered under any form of insurance which might cover this?
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:40 am
Original Poster

I booked another flight on UA that has far superior flight times and layover schedules, plus I have status and don't have to pay for bags or E+ seats.

The AA flight was booked with UW points, so I didn't pay out of pocket but it would have cost me quite a bit more for Choiceseats and 1-2 bags.

Oh well, I thought so. thanks for the insight.
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by johndunn2 View Post
I have a one way reservation for 2 on Thursday that I cannot use. The total for both travelers is $341, $170.50 a piece. Booked as a code share on AA but on US metal.

With the change fee at $200, do I have any other option aside from losing it all?

Is it even worth it to cancel beforehand in case of a cancellation by the airline, etc?
Wait until the last minute to see if there is a cancelation or a significant delay.

If there is then you get 100% back. If not then you are out the $'s
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I booked another flight on UA that has far superior flight times and layover schedules, plus I have status and don't have to pay for bags or E+ seats.

The AA flight was booked with UW points, so I didn't pay out of pocket but it would have cost me quite a bit more for Choiceseats and 1-2 bags.

Probably just a little dense this morning; what are UW points?
Old Apr 7, 15, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
You might be able to get the taxes and fees back after you don't fly, if there is no schedule change.
Old Apr 7, 15, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Not sure. Maybe he meant US miles, as W is close to S.

Not sure how points were used and the total paid was $170.50 each.
Old Apr 7, 15, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Not sure. Maybe he meant US miles, as W is close to S.

Not sure how points were used and the total paid was $170.50 each.
Going to guess Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Old Apr 7, 15, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP; WN A-List; Hyatt Expl; MR/CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*

Given UA's on-time record I'd keep the reservation in case you need it.
Old Apr 7, 15, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Nope, I'm dense, too.

Chances are slim, but the answer might be different, depending on how OP paid for the ticket.
Old Apr 8, 15, 12:53 am

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvLTG, PCAmb
Originally Posted by sdix View Post
Wait until the last minute to see if there is a cancelation or a significant delay.

If there is then you get 100% back.
I have 3x one-way tickets ATL-LAX in two weeks. Fares were $150 with taxes. Now my wife and son are not going, so I split myself out to a new PNR and upgraded. Not sure what I am rooting for - a smooth on-time travel experience or a long delay so I can get some money back!
Old Apr 8, 15, 3:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If the flight is cancelled or there is a significant schedule change (2+ hours), you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment.
For this reason, I never cancel my reservations when I know I won't be able to fly anymore. AA has no way of knowing whether or not I plan to travel until the door is closed, and in the meantime things might work out in my favor.
Old Apr 8, 15, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP can hope for a thundershower or a mechanical, right up to check in time.
Old Apr 8, 15, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
For this reason, I never cancel my reservations when I know I won't be able to fly anymore. AA has no way of knowing whether or not I plan to travel until the door is closed, and in the meantime things might work out in my favor.
I'm in a similar situation, but my wife is on the same flight as me. Does anyone know of anyway I could give her my upgrade if I cleared? I'm EXP, she dropped to Plat and we are on different record locators.

Also if I don't show up, will my return leg be cancelled? I have a different flight taking me to the destination on another airline from a different city.

If I can't give her my upgrade, can I give her my empty seat at the least? I paid for it, even if I'm not travelling, can she have both seats?
Old Apr 8, 15, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lagunas2k View Post
I'm in a similar situation, but my wife is on the same flight as me. Does anyone know of anyway I could give her my upgrade if I cleared? I'm EXP, she dropped to Plat and we are on different record locators.

Also if I don't show up, will my return leg be cancelled? I have a different flight taking me to the destination on another airline from a different city.

If I can't give her my upgrade, can I give her my empty seat at the least? I paid for it, even if I'm not travelling, can she have both seats?
The only way for your wife to get your upgrade is if you clear and she takes your upgraded seat.

If you don't show up, your return leg will be cancelled.

I don't think she can walk in and try to get the GA to scan both boarding passes. I'm pretty sure they need to keep exact count on the names / # of passengers on the plane.

Search this Thread