Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket I need to cancel that is under $200, what to do?

Ticket I need to cancel that is under $200, what to do?

Old Apr 7, 15, 11:32 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 251
Ticket I need to cancel that is under $200, what to do?

I have a one way reservation for 2 on Thursday that I cannot use. The total for both travelers is $341, $170.50 a piece. Booked as a code share on AA but on US metal.

With the change fee at $200, do I have any other option aside from losing it all?

Is it even worth it to cancel beforehand in case of a cancellation by the airline, etc?
johndunn2 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:36 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,282
Just let it go. It will cost more to make the change than the value of the tickets.

If the flight is cancelled or there is a significant schedule change (2+ hours), you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment.

Why can't you use the tickets and are you covered under any form of insurance which might cover this?
Often1 is online now  
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:40 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 251
I booked another flight on UA that has far superior flight times and layover schedules, plus I have status and don't have to pay for bags or E+ seats.

The AA flight was booked with UW points, so I didn't pay out of pocket but it would have cost me quite a bit more for Choiceseats and 1-2 bags.

Oh well, I thought so. thanks for the insight.
johndunn2 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:49 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by johndunn2 View Post
I have a one way reservation for 2 on Thursday that I cannot use. The total for both travelers is $341, $170.50 a piece. Booked as a code share on AA but on US metal.

With the change fee at $200, do I have any other option aside from losing it all?

Is it even worth it to cancel beforehand in case of a cancellation by the airline, etc?
Wait until the last minute to see if there is a cancelation or a significant delay.

If there is then you get 100% back. If not then you are out the $'s
sdix is offline  
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:56 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,690
Cool

Originally Posted by johndunn2 View Post
I booked another flight on UA that has far superior flight times and layover schedules, plus I have status and don't have to pay for bags or E+ seats.

The AA flight was booked with UW points, so I didn't pay out of pocket but it would have cost me quite a bit more for Choiceseats and 1-2 bags.

Oh well, I thought so. thanks for the insight.
Probably just a little dense this morning; what are UW points?
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Apr 7, 15, 12:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,179
You might be able to get the taxes and fees back after you don't fly, if there is no schedule change.
hiima is online now  
Old Apr 7, 15, 12:38 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,783
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Probably just a little dense this morning; what are UW points?
Not sure. Maybe he meant US miles, as W is close to S.

Not sure how points were used and the total paid was $170.50 each.
will2288 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 15, 1:38 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Not sure. Maybe he meant US miles, as W is close to S.

Not sure how points were used and the total paid was $170.50 each.
Going to guess Chase Ultimate Rewards.
MikeORD is offline  
Old Apr 7, 15, 5:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: at 35,000 feet
Programs: AS MVP; WN A-List; Hyatt Expl; MR/CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,462
Originally Posted by johndunn2 View Post
I booked another flight on UA that has far superior flight times and layover schedules, plus I have status and don't have to pay for bags or E+ seats.

The AA flight was booked with UW points, so I didn't pay out of pocket but it would have cost me quite a bit more for Choiceseats and 1-2 bags.

Oh well, I thought so. thanks for the insight.
Given UA's on-time record I'd keep the reservation in case you need it.
robbert is offline  
Old Apr 7, 15, 6:05 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AS, BA, AA
Posts: 3,670
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Probably just a little dense this morning; what are UW points?
Nope, I'm dense, too.

Chances are slim, but the answer might be different, depending on how OP paid for the ticket.
janetdoe is offline  
Old Apr 8, 15, 12:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvLTG, PCAmb
Posts: 1,240
Originally Posted by sdix View Post
Wait until the last minute to see if there is a cancelation or a significant delay.

If there is then you get 100% back.
I have 3x one-way tickets ATL-LAX in two weeks. Fares were $150 with taxes. Now my wife and son are not going, so I split myself out to a new PNR and upgraded. Not sure what I am rooting for - a smooth on-time travel experience or a long delay so I can get some money back!
dbuckho is offline  
Old Apr 8, 15, 3:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: US
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1,734
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If the flight is cancelled or there is a significant schedule change (2+ hours), you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment.
For this reason, I never cancel my reservations when I know I won't be able to fly anymore. AA has no way of knowing whether or not I plan to travel until the door is closed, and in the meantime things might work out in my favor.
ThreeJulietTango is offline  
Old Apr 8, 15, 3:48 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,174
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If the flight is cancelled or there is a significant schedule change (2+ hours), you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment.
OP can hope for a thundershower or a mechanical, right up to check in time.
3Cforme is offline  
Old Apr 8, 15, 11:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, AA Plat Pro
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
For this reason, I never cancel my reservations when I know I won't be able to fly anymore. AA has no way of knowing whether or not I plan to travel until the door is closed, and in the meantime things might work out in my favor.
I'm in a similar situation, but my wife is on the same flight as me. Does anyone know of anyway I could give her my upgrade if I cleared? I'm EXP, she dropped to Plat and we are on different record locators.

Also if I don't show up, will my return leg be cancelled? I have a different flight taking me to the destination on another airline from a different city.

If I can't give her my upgrade, can I give her my empty seat at the least? I paid for it, even if I'm not travelling, can she have both seats?
lagunas2k is offline  
Old Apr 8, 15, 11:47 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EWR PHL JFK
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by lagunas2k View Post
I'm in a similar situation, but my wife is on the same flight as me. Does anyone know of anyway I could give her my upgrade if I cleared? I'm EXP, she dropped to Plat and we are on different record locators.

Also if I don't show up, will my return leg be cancelled? I have a different flight taking me to the destination on another airline from a different city.

If I can't give her my upgrade, can I give her my empty seat at the least? I paid for it, even if I'm not travelling, can she have both seats?
The only way for your wife to get your upgrade is if you clear and she takes your upgraded seat.

If you don't show up, your return leg will be cancelled.

I don't think she can walk in and try to get the GA to scan both boarding passes. I'm pretty sure they need to keep exact count on the names / # of passengers on the plane.
ulzimates is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread