FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Ticket I need to cancel that is under $200, what to do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1670263-ticket-i-need-cancel-under-200-what-do.html)

johndunn2 Apr 7, 2015 10:32 am

Ticket I need to cancel that is under $200, what to do?

I have a one way reservation for 2 on Thursday that I cannot use. The total for both travelers is $341, $170.50 a piece. Booked as a code share on AA but on US metal.

With the change fee at $200, do I have any other option aside from losing it all?

Is it even worth it to cancel beforehand in case of a cancellation by the airline, etc?

Often1 Apr 7, 2015 10:36 am

Just let it go. It will cost more to make the change than the value of the tickets.

If the flight is cancelled or there is a significant schedule change (2+ hours), you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment.

Why can't you use the tickets and are you covered under any form of insurance which might cover this?

johndunn2 Apr 7, 2015 10:40 am

I booked another flight on UA that has far superior flight times and layover schedules, plus I have status and don't have to pay for bags or E+ seats.

The AA flight was booked with UW points, so I didn't pay out of pocket but it would have cost me quite a bit more for Choiceseats and 1-2 bags.

Oh well, I thought so. thanks for the insight.

sdix Apr 7, 2015 10:49 am

Originally Posted by johndunn2 (Post 24629761)
I have a one way reservation for 2 on Thursday that I cannot use. The total for both travelers is $341, $170.50 a piece. Booked as a code share on AA but on US metal.

With the change fee at $200, do I have any other option aside from losing it all?

Is it even worth it to cancel beforehand in case of a cancellation by the airline, etc?

Wait until the last minute to see if there is a cancelation or a significant delay.

If there is then you get 100% back. If not then you are out the $'s

Doc Savage Apr 7, 2015 10:56 am

Originally Posted by johndunn2 (Post 24629809)
I booked another flight on UA that has far superior flight times and layover schedules, plus I have status and don't have to pay for bags or E+ seats.

The AA flight was booked with UW points, so I didn't pay out of pocket but it would have cost me quite a bit more for Choiceseats and 1-2 bags.

Probably just a little dense this morning; what are UW points?

hiima Apr 7, 2015 11:02 am

You might be able to get the taxes and fees back after you don't fly, if there is no schedule change.

will2288 Apr 7, 2015 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 24629888)

Not sure. Maybe he meant US miles, as W is close to S.

Not sure how points were used and the total paid was $170.50 each.

MikeORD Apr 7, 2015 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by will2288 (Post 24630102)
Not sure. Maybe he meant US miles, as W is close to S.

Not sure how points were used and the total paid was $170.50 each.

Going to guess Chase Ultimate Rewards.

robbert Apr 7, 2015 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by johndunn2 (Post 24629809)

Given UA's on-time record I'd keep the reservation in case you need it.

janetdoe Apr 7, 2015 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 24629888)

Nope, I'm dense, too.

Chances are slim, but the answer might be different, depending on how OP paid for the ticket.

dbuckho Apr 7, 2015 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdix (Post 24629856)
Wait until the last minute to see if there is a cancelation or a significant delay.

If there is then you get 100% back.

I have 3x one-way tickets ATL-LAX in two weeks. Fares were $150 with taxes. Now my wife and son are not going, so I split myself out to a new PNR and upgraded. Not sure what I am rooting for - a smooth on-time travel experience or a long delay so I can get some money back!

ThreeJulietTango Apr 8, 2015 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 24629791)
If the flight is cancelled or there is a significant schedule change (2+ hours), you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment.

^ For this reason, I never cancel my reservations when I know I won't be able to fly anymore. AA has no way of knowing whether or not I plan to travel until the door is closed, and in the meantime things might work out in my favor.

3Cforme Apr 8, 2015 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 24629791)

OP can hope for a thundershower or a mechanical, right up to check in time. :D

lagunas2k Apr 8, 2015 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango (Post 24633622)
^ For this reason, I never cancel my reservations when I know I won't be able to fly anymore. AA has no way of knowing whether or not I plan to travel until the door is closed, and in the meantime things might work out in my favor.

I'm in a similar situation, but my wife is on the same flight as me. Does anyone know of anyway I could give her my upgrade if I cleared? I'm EXP, she dropped to Plat and we are on different record locators.

Also if I don't show up, will my return leg be cancelled? I have a different flight taking me to the destination on another airline from a different city.

If I can't give her my upgrade, can I give her my empty seat at the least? I paid for it, even if I'm not travelling, can she have both seats?

ulzimates Apr 8, 2015 10:47 am

Originally Posted by lagunas2k (Post 24635505)
I'm in a similar situation, but my wife is on the same flight as me. Does anyone know of anyway I could give her my upgrade if I cleared? I'm EXP, she dropped to Plat and we are on different record locators.

Also if I don't show up, will my return leg be cancelled? I have a different flight taking me to the destination on another airline from a different city.

If I can't give her my upgrade, can I give her my empty seat at the least? I paid for it, even if I'm not travelling, can she have both seats?

The only way for your wife to get your upgrade is if you clear and she takes your upgraded seat.

If you don't show up, your return leg will be cancelled.

I don't think she can walk in and try to get the GA to scan both boarding passes. I'm pretty sure they need to keep exact count on the names / # of passengers on the plane.