Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What should I ask AA for, given 2 significant schedule changes to our R.T.?

Old Apr 6, 15, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta, American

Booked and paid for multi city flights on AA November 4, 2014 for flying May 15. Original departure from home town was 5:55pm with arrival at our original destination at 11:50pm (connection at ORD on the way). Homeward trip from a resort--the third leg of our multi-city trip) was originally departing at 2:34pm arriving at home at 10:55pm (with two connections). Yesterday (Easter Sunday) received an email message that our departure from home is now 12:40pm which is 5 hours 15 minutes early and our departure from our vacation resort is now 8:00am which is 6 hours 34 minutes earlier. To me these time changes are significant. Problem with the initial outbound departure is my spouse doesn't finish the last day of teaching until 4:00pm on departure day. Only issue with the return trip is that we lose 3-4 hours of our precious vacation time.

Haven't talked to AA yet but I see an outbound flight the next morning at 6:00 am arriving at our first destination around noon. This is workable providing we can get the flights. For the return there is no alternative.

This is not just one, but two major schedule changes. What can I request or what can I expect from AA by means of compensation. We all know that if I need to change my non-refundable flying plans I need to fork over a minimum of $150 plus any change in the airfare.
Old Apr 6, 15, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by curbysplace View Post
What can I request or what can I expect from AA by means of compensation.
You can request any other AA flight which gets you where you're going on a better schedule or a refund. You're likely to actually get those.

You can request anything else you want but are unlikely to be happy with the answer you receive.
Old Apr 6, 15, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

On Delta I seem to recall a "policy", written or unwritten, I do not know, that an agent or phone rep is allowed to give a voucher for a certain amount based on the number of hours delayed, something like $150 for up to 3 hours and $250 + if it was more than 4 hours.
Old Apr 6, 15, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
You can request any other AA flight which gets you where you're going on a better schedule or a refund. You're likely to actually get those.

You can request anything else you want but are unlikely to be happy with the answer you receive.
This.
Old Apr 6, 15, 5:57 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this is specific to AA's procedures in case of schedule change, let's enlist the help of the readers of the specific FT forum on American Airlines. I'll move this there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 6, 15, 6:13 pm

I had similar situation on an award ticket... schedule was changed significantly (longer connection time, later arrival), but first time I asked, they said they can only put me in any other flight provided there is saver award available (I booked with low saver award), if I am not satisfied, they can redeposit my miles back to my account without fee. Any other flights without saver award availability is out of question....
Old Apr 6, 15, 6:50 pm

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
On Delta I seem to recall a "policy", written or unwritten, I do not know, that an agent or phone rep is allowed to give a voucher for a certain amount based on the number of hours delayed, something like $150 for up to 3 hours and $250 + if it was more than 4 hours.
They don't do this on AA. Find the alternate flights you want and they'll change you no problem, or give you a refund.
Old Apr 6, 15, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.7MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc View Post
I had similar situation on an award ticket... schedule was changed significantly (longer connection time, later arrival), but first time I asked, they said they can only put me in any other flight provided there is saver award available (I booked with low saver award), if I am not satisfied, they can redeposit my miles back to my account without fee. Any other flights without saver award availability is out of question....

Were these all AA operated-flights - or partners?
Old Apr 6, 15, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post
Were these all AA operated-flights - or partners?
Both are AA-operated flights.
Old Apr 6, 15, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Ended up with a $300 eVoucher each from American. Have to depart the following morning at 6:00am arriving at our original destination at noon. Could have been worse. On the return, we just kept what AA dealt us--shortening our beach resort stay by 6 and a half hours
Old Apr 6, 15, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
From what you are saying, I assume the tickets are paid - not award. This being the case, you should look at what AA metal flights are acceptable to you and ask AA to put you on those flights. I know that AA has become much harder to deal with if you are on an award ticket (especially if the AA award ticket is on a partner airline).

Key is for you to do your research before calling.
Old Apr 6, 15, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deant View Post
From what you are saying, I assume the tickets are paid - not award. This being the case, you should look at what AA metal flights are acceptable to you and ask AA to put you on those flights. I know that AA has become much harder to deal with if you are on an award ticket.
The tickets are paid, not award. What's an "AA metal flight"? Does this mean an actual American Airlines aircraft versus a codeshare partner's plane?

Last edited by curbysplace; Apr 6, 15 at 10:46 pm
Old Apr 7, 15, 5:32 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The tickets are paid, not award. What's an "AA metal flight"? Does this mean an actual American Airlines aircraft versus a codeshare partner's plane?
Yes, an actual AA aircraft.
Old Apr 7, 15, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Ended up with a $300 eVoucher each from American.
This sounds uncharacteristically generous for a schedule change -- I'm actually surprised you got anything more than a few bonus miles. How hard did you have to push for the vouchers?
Old Apr 7, 15, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mh4ll View Post
This sounds uncharacteristically generous for a schedule change -- I'm actually surprised you got anything more than a few bonus miles. How hard did you have to push for the vouchers?
I was wondering the same thing. OP, how did you negotiate this voucher compensation?

Search this Thread