Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is presenting bp at gate, but not flying, a "no go"?

Old Apr 4, 15, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Upcoming travel changed to add add'l city to itin. Cheaper to purchase new ticket for residual itin (change fee).

I assume that security precautions prevent me from showing at the gate for the flight I won't take and presenting a bp for the sake of mileage credit ... right?

(apologies for a rookie question, but wasn't successful searching for a relevant post)
Old Apr 4, 15, 8:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you managed to do that, the aircraft might well be delayed when the FAs see your seat empty, check the manifest, etc.

And with AAdvantage's aggressive revenue protection unit, AA Corporate Security's AAdvantage Fraud unit, you could lose your miles, status and account for fraud. Yes, they could and it may very well be they would.

AAdvantage Terms and Conditions include:

Fraud, misrepresentation, abuse or violation of applicable rules (including, but not limited to, American or American Eagle conditions of carriage, tariffs and AAdvantage program rules) is subject to administrative and/or legal action by appropriate governmental authorities and American Airlines. Such action may include, without limitation, the forfeiture of all award tickets and any accrued mileage in a member's account, as well as cancellation of the account and the member's future participation in the AAdvantage program. In addition, American Airlines reserves the right to take appropriate legal action to recover damages, including its attorneys’ fees incurred in prosecuting any lawsuit.
Yes, they're pretty tough on these issues. Even having your account locked, dealing with them and merely losing the miles you might earn (very slight possibility) would be a PITA.
Old Apr 4, 15, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Appreciate the reply. I should have made clear that I understood the implication of posing as if you intended to actually board.

My intended gist was handing the bp over, saying my travel plans have changed, but I'd like mileage credit for the itinerary that I'm not using (and which has insufficient residual value to re-ticket).

Just looking for a reality check. I heard of such a thing a decade (or more) ago. But I'm pretty sure that game is over. Bottom line: no bis, no mileage credit.
Old Apr 4, 15, 9:11 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
An absolute no-no. Scanning of the boarding pass is what determines who is on the flight manifest. Just imagine you did that and the plane suffered a survivable crash. There could be rescue workers endangering their lives to look for the one unaccounted for passenger when he is sat in a warm bar somewhere.
Old Apr 4, 15, 9:14 am

They GA wouldn't do it. Even if you board and exit the AC before the door shuts, will figure out your missing during the headcount and flag your reservation for the segment as "not on." You'll get no miles, segments, and further legs of the item are subject to cancel.
Old Apr 4, 15, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No way, José.
Old Apr 4, 15, 10:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You are ticketed A-B, but now plans have changed and you need to go A-C. Its cheaper to purchase A-C than to change the established A-B, correct? You want to check in and scan BP to B but not fly and get the miles credit. On what airline are you flying A-C? as there might be a conflicting itinerary situation if this is AA.
Old Apr 4, 15, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that it does not work. No credit if you don't fly. If the BP is scanned, the pax goes into the head count. When the count is off, the aircraft will be held at the gate until AA can figure out who is missing, offload that person from the manifest and move on.

At a minimum, the other 150+/- people on the flight have been delayed 30-45 minutes and you get no credit. At worse, you get the boot out of the program.
Old Apr 4, 15, 2:14 pm

do not do it. do not ask
Old Apr 4, 15, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
If you do try this, please post your flight so we can be sure to avoid being on it! The delay may be extended while they also determine if there is any checked baggage and maybe even do a security sweep of the aircraft.

Although sounds simple enough there are so many reasons to not do this.
Old Apr 4, 15, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the education today. Indeed, I discovered that AA cancelled the duplicate travel (the segment I intended to fly). Just off the phone to fix things, ponying up $203.50 for the change fee.

Live and learn. I have 400k lifetime with US. Know I've done something similar a couple times in the past (actually, once was last year under wife's itin - was able to salvage credit toward a later, more expensive itin, net chg fee).

Clearly AA is absolutely rigid by comparison. I get rationale, though. Thanks again!
Old Apr 4, 15, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA isn't any more rigid than any other carrier. It just has better software !

Search this Thread