Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Confused about 500 mile / EQM / EQP minimum for AA / US flights

Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite

My flights from over the weekend finally posted, does the 500 mile minimum not apply towards EQP/EQM? I see two lines 500 Mile Min. Adjust - Non Elite Qualifying Miles

Both flights were booked on USAirways before the cutover. The first was on US the second was on AA.

I think from reading the FAQ on aa.com I should have received at least EQM, not sure about EQP.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
My flights from over the weekend finally posted, does the 500 mile minimum not apply towards EQP/EQM? I see two lines 500 Mile Min. Adjust - Non Elite Qualifying Miles

Both flights were booked on USAirways before the cutover. The first was on US the second was on AA.

I think from reading the FAQ on aa.com I should have received at least EQM, not sure about EQP.
Yes, you will get EQM and EQP based on the 500 mile minimum. EQM/EQP are not itemized on your statement. You just have to look at the YTD total compared to what the total was before.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Yes, you will get EQM and EQP based on the 500 mile minimum. EQM/EQP are not itemized on your statement. You just have to look at the YTD total compared to what the total was before.
I'm just realizing this. Really annoying. It was so easy to check PQM accrual on my USDM statement.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
500 Mile Minimum - EQM

I've looked everywhere and I can't find the answer... I'm Plat and since the merge all of my flights that are less than 500 miles are only being credited the actual miles vs. 500 min for EQM... US was 500 for bonus and EQM... Does AA not do that?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
As an elite, you should get a minimum 500 EQM, and based on that, a minimum 250 EQP.

Example:
LAX-LAS is 236 miles. On a deep discount fare, you'll get:
500 EQM
250 EQP
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by davidsc111
I'm Plat and since the merge all of my flights that are less than 500 miles are only being credited the actual miles vs. 500 min for EQM
Are you looking at the million miler miles tab, or are you calculating the increase in your total EQM for the year? The 500 minimum does not count for MM miles.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by davidsc111
I've looked everywhere and I can't find the answer... I'm Plat and since the merge all of my flights that are less than 500 miles are only being credited the actual miles vs. 500 min for EQM... US was 500 for bonus and EQM... Does AA not do that?
AA records differently than US.

The credit line shows the actual mileage in the first column and the combined bonus' in the second column (500 mile minimum differential + elite status bonus). So there is not an EQM column per se as we were accustomed to seeing in DM mileage history.

You must manually extract and calculate each EQM event. Then check the account summary for EQM before and after the flight to confirm if the correct EQM was credited.

The full 500 mile EQM should be added to your summary but the only way to see it is to know your balance before and after each flight.

Yes, next year's EXP renewal gift is an abacus.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
As an elite, you should get a minimum 500 EQM, and based on that, a minimum 250 EQP.

Example:
LAX-LAS is 236 miles. On a deep discount fare, you'll get:
500 EQM
250 EQP
Unlike on DM summaries you won't "see" 500 EQM. You see 263 + 737 on the mileage credit line. You must know that all of column 1 plus an unspecified part of column 2 is EQM.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
The trip history on the AA site may very well be my least favorite aspect of this merger. OK, maybe second to the hissy fits over codeshare upgrades from some elites.

I see some AA elites keep their own spreadhseet, EQMs on 500 mile min flights (75% or more of my flights) showing up in the bonus column ... I hope US IT gets a chance to "fix" that so it is more like the very user-friendly US trip history records.

Not only that, but my PHL-BOS RT on 3/24 (flights before but posted after merge) are showing 281 (flight miles) + 344 (bonus) for a total of 625. IOW, AA has undercredited me for 125 miles (assuming US Gold 50% bonus) or 375 (assuming AA Plat 100% bonus) on each segment of that trip.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Not only that, but my PHL-BOS RT on 3/24 (flights before but posted after merge) are showing 281 (flight miles) + 344 (bonus) for a total of 625. IOW, AA has undercredited me for 125 miles (assuming US Gold 50% bonus) or 375 (assuming AA Plat 100% bonus) on each segment of that trip.
625 miles is the credit for <500 mile flight taken by AA Gold (500 minimum miles + 25% bonus). If you are AA PLT, your credit should be 1,000 redeemable miles (and 500 EQM). Just call AAdvantage and inquire.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Just checked and a recent flight posted as 1000 total miles, but it was only actual mileage flown for EQM, not 500.

This was on a ex-US operated flight.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Kreative03
Just checked and a recent flight posted as 1000 total miles, but it was only actual mileage flown for EQM, not 500.

This was on a ex-US operated flight.
No, if you have your EQM balance from before the flight and compare it with the balance after the flight, you will see it was increased by 500. Unfortunately what is showing as activity on the AA.com site is BIS miles that counts for MM status.

AA has too many numbers to keep track in a sensible fashion.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Let me get this straight -- so whereas the 500 mile EQM goes towards qualification, only the BIS counts towards million miler status? i did see my EQP was 500 miles lower (after the r/t) than my EQM -- but my million miler status was lower as well.

So which now counts towards upgrades?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Kreative03
Let me get this straight -- so whereas the 500 mile EQM goes towards qualification, only the BIS counts towards million miler status? i did see my EQP was 500 miles lower (after the r/t) than my EQM -- but my million miler status was lower as well.

So which now counts towards upgrades?
"Upgrades"? If you mean earning your 500-mile upgrades, your EQMs (500) count towards the 10,000 needed to earn four.

Chasing all the numbers AA uses will keep you very busy and have no time to consider flying anyone else.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:32 am

AMERICAN AIRLINES 3440 Y YUL JFK 04/13/15 333 (Mileage) 667 (Bonus) 1,000 (Total)

Does it look something like this? I'm thinking 333 miles = EQPs? Shouldn't this be 500?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.