Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA rebanked DFW and ORD today [29 Mar 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA rebanked DFW and ORD today [29 Mar 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nk15
Also, more stress (and subtle pressure) on everybody (pilots, mechanics, GAs, FAs) to have each flight arrive on time, which does not sound good for safety.
Interesting, three posts insinuating that this is a dangerous development. Since flight banking is nothing new, can you show evidence that this presents a real danger, or are you just making things up?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
No, no evidence, just some thoughts, I am guessing they have studied it and it is no more dangerous than usual, but it just feels a little more pressured and congested, that's all.

I am sure it has benefits too, like more efficient travel for travelers.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I am sure it has benefits too, like more efficient travel for travelers.
Let me add this one in for you, Like more efficient travel for travelers on a perfect travel day

And we know how many of those we have in a year
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Let me add this one in for you, Like more efficient travel for travelers on a perfect travel day

And we know how many of those we have in a year
Hey, ORD is known for having three, maybe four days of good weather per year. I'm sure it'll be fine!

However, since AA doesn't have to provide compensation or accommodation for any delay/cancellation labeled as "weather," maybe this move is entirely logical from their standpoint.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I don't worry about missed connections. With load factors being so low, it's trivial to get rebooked on a later flight.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Just came thru DFW (8:00) on my way to AUS & both A & D concourses seemed fairly light which struck me as odd
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
I don't worry about missed connections. With load factors being so low, it's trivial to get rebooked on a later flight.
I guess the multiple flights out of the hubs every hour or so provide some protection for missed connections, so this will probably be more efficient earlier in the day, for hub to hub flights, and without checked baggage. Also, I believe Delta does that in Atlanta all the time, they have mastered the 30-40 min connection.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Also, more stress (and subtle pressure) on everybody (pilots, mechanics, GAs, FAs) to have each flight arrive on time, which does not sound good for safety.
I believe AA used to have a banked schedule all the way up to 2001 and then due to financial pressures it became unbanked. Long way of saying that this is the way it used to be so hopefully it doesn't impact safety.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I will continue to choose a longer connection time option at booking for my DFW to AUS flights, and then look for standby options if they are the same terminal as my arrival flight (to DFW). Thus no need to run around to catch the connecting flight, and I can relax in the lounge if necessary.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealFan
I believe AA used to have a banked schedule all the way up to 2001 and then due to financial pressures it became unbanked. Long way of saying that this is the way it used to be so hopefully it doesn't impact safety.
I recall there was also that recent brouhaha a couple of months ago from mechanics at DFW alleging pressures around safety, what happened to that, did anything come out of it or was it just a union interests complaint?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:28 am

Don't ever really fly out of terminal B at DFW but show up this morning to find they have two flights scheduled to leave at 10:30 from a double gate (one agent/one door) at B48/49. Of course, at 10:27 we haven't started boarding our flight yet.

No idea if this is standard here in B or not but seems like a terrible idea.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealFan
Yes, AA was considered the king of the banked hub and spoke. This was all unraveled in the disastrous cost-cutting-at-any-cost 00s, and I think the "rolling hubs" concept was, ehm, rolled out in late 2002/2003.

Like a lot of cost-cutting-at-any-cost moves, they were profit reducing due to an even greater reduction in revenues (AA during the 00s went from having a yield premium to a yield discount to the competition, ending it in bankruptcy).

The return of the banked hub and spoke system is welcomed, as long as it's executed well, as it will increase the number of connecting origin & destination options.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
We'll see how it all works out, and I hope it works out well. But for the reasons others have already stated here, I have my doubts. Personally, I never opt for a tight connection. Even if I make it, I don't like the hassle of having to rush or the stress of fretting over even a slight delay on the first flight. I'd rather kill extra time during the connection doing work, catching up on emails, relaxing, whatever.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As I was walking through term A and C in DFW today, it occurred to me that DFW is spending a lot of time and money to improve the shopping and dining experience at DFW, and now a lot more passengers won't have time to shop or eat.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I was ending up with more time at DFW and had to call repeatedly for decent connections. The first was when 37 (MAD-DFW) got shifted 3 hours earlier (beginning around today's date, so I presume related) but my connecting flight wasn't adjusted. A few weeks later the flight #s on connecting segment got adjusted and I was again moved to the next flight and had to call again to get moved back. Now I'm on 37 MAD-SFO (according to the email--the ALL CAPS text at te bottom warns of a possible hidden connection but it's also light grey in color so it's like AA couldn't decide if this was important or minor point to mention).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.