Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page > ARCHIVED: LAX-MIA on AA: Best, Aircraft Used, etc. NONWORKING THREAD

ARCHIVED: LAX-MIA on AA: Best, Aircraft Used, etc. NONWORKING THREAD

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 1, 16, 3:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
LAX <-> MIA: Aircraft Used and Changes, Class Sold, Best Service, etc.

Aircraft scheduled on this route have recently included
Three class aircraft may be sold as two class aircraft, offering opportunities to elites to fly in better cabins.

Schedules do change routinely, and aircraft substitutions are not uncommon.

* The "32B" designation used by AA includes three variants of the LAA A321-200. All the LAA A321-200s have Sharklets wingtip devices: the A321S two class aircraft, A321H Hawaiian ETOPS variance and the A321T three class generally used between JFK and LAX, SFO. These are all "32B" aircraft in AA schedules; "321" is used by AA for non-Sharklets, LUS, A321-200s.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Mar 25, 15, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
ARCHIVED: LAX-MIA on AA: Best, Aircraft Used, etc. NONWORKING THREAD

Hi Everyone, I'm planning an upcoming trip to MIA from LAX in F.
There are several flights that day, mostly served by 738 or 763 aircrafts. What are your opinions about the F class?
I've never flown this route on AA and I am not that familiar with its planes.
Do I understand correctly 738 has a new F class hard product? Is the 2-2 layout comfortable or the window passenger has to climb over the neighbor by the aisle?

Thank you

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 1, 16 at 12:13 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Mar 25, 15, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

763, hands down, regardless if it's the old or new seating. Far better than any AA 737.
Old Mar 25, 15, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Sorry, didn't

Check but isn't there a far superior F product on A321T on that routing-did F JFK-LAX about a year back. Without doubt, that would be my choice.
Old Mar 25, 15, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
763, hands down, regardless if it's the old or new seating. Far better than any AA 737.
Thank you for your insight. I also prefer aisle seating so I was leaning toward the 763 anyways because of its middle seats with direct aisle access without anyone stepping over you.
Old Mar 25, 15, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2018 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jake108 View Post
Check but isn't there a far superior F product on A321T on that routing-did F JFK-LAX about a year back. Without doubt, that would be my choice.
The A321T only runs between JFK-LAX/SFO. IIRC, they have run the standard AA321 on LAX-MIA. It has regular domestic F seats, not lie-flats like the 321T.
Old Mar 25, 15, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG/MR Gold, HH Gold
I can't believe there is any debate, 763 in the old config is great for any domestic flight. The widebody will be much more comfortable than a narrowbody, you can take a middle row seat to not have anyone climb over you. The 737 is pretty bad for a tcon. The 321 on that route is nice if you value the IFE over seat comfort, but the Samsung tablets on the 763 have similar content, they just are a little clunky.

The 738 may have the new or old hard product, you won't know, but either way it's not very spacious, and you will have to climb over people.
Old Mar 26, 15, 11:45 am

Programs: AA-CK, EXP, Platinum(lifetime platinum)
LAX-MIA on AA, 738 or 763, which aircraft is best on F ticket?

Just flew Mia-lax and lax-Mia on March 22, both on 777. Planes were dated and had no wifi, but first class lie flat seats and private suites much better than flying 737 for such long distance
Old Mar 26, 15, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsgdds View Post
Just flew Mia-lax and lax-Mia on March 22, both on 777. Planes were dated and had no wifi, but first class lie flat seats and private suites much better than flying 737 for such long distance
I totally agree with that. Though, I have to connect to another flight in MIA and the only 777 operated on that route arrives at a time that doesn't work for me unfortunately.
Old Apr 19, 15, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; SPG Plat; MR Plat;Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
For June and July, at least the dates I checked (when I had flights) the 763 was swapped for a 738.
Old Apr 20, 15, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
For June and July, at least the dates I checked (when I had flights) the 763 was swapped for a 738.
There have been some strange aircraft changes on this route lately, for the upcoming months.
Since I've posted this thread, my original return booked on a 763...has now become a F seat on the 777 which I am very excited about since it's the 3-class aircraft. The odd part is that the flight is sold as 2-classes only. (although if you check the seat map it shows the 3 classes layout).

Same thing for another trip I have on the same route in July, I am on a 777 LAX-MIA that was sold as 2-class.
The F hard product on the 777 I understand is far superior than the domestic F on any other aircraft (except of course the LAX/SFO-JFK), because of it being a suite, with no neighbors and a seat that completely reclines.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...738-777-a.html
Old Apr 20, 15, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by hyperspace View Post
There have been some strange aircraft changes on this route lately, for the upcoming months.
Since I've posted this thread, my original return booked on a 763...has now become a F seat on the 777 which I am very excited about since it's the 3-class aircraft. The odd part is that the flight is sold as 2-classes only. (although if you check the seat map it shows the 3 classes layout).
When 777s (pre CIP) are sold as two class, typically the F cabin is sold as F and the J and Y cabins sold as Y. Elites flying economy can pick a seat in the aircraft's business cabin. There will be economy service in cabins sold as economy.
Old Apr 20, 15, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beerup View Post
When 777s (pre CIP) are sold as two class, typically the F cabin is sold as F and the J and Y cabins sold as Y. Elites flying economy can pick a seat in the aircraft's business cabin. There will be economy service in cabins sold as economy.
Thank you for the clarification.
I have seen that flight been sold as 3-classes at other times though, on the same route. What drives the decision to reduce the selling classes from 3 to 2?
Old Jun 7, 15, 4:42 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA GGL/CCR, IC Plat A, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Plat, regularly in FS & RC
How common are those aircraft switches on this route? I'm asking because currently evaluating to travel MIA-LAX on AA2435 next month (leaving 6:35 pm) and accroding to the timetable it should be a B767 on all days except Monday/Thursday/Sunday. However, when looking at the flights for the next few days/weeks, the flight is always listed as a B777.

Just asking because a switch to a 3-class B777 would mean that I lose out on Tier Points / Status credit for BAEC. So In case of a high probability, I'd rather choose a different flight.
Old Jun 7, 15, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1 View Post
How common are those aircraft switches on this route? I'm asking because currently evaluating to travel MIA-LAX on AA2435 next month (leaving 6:35 pm) and accroding to the timetable it should be a B767 on all days except Monday/Thursday/Sunday. However, when looking at the flights for the next few days/weeks, the flight is always listed as a B777.

Just asking because a switch to a 3-class B777 would mean that I lose out on Tier Points / Status credit for BAEC. So In case of a high probability, I'd rather choose a different flight.
You should be safe. AA2435 is scheduled as a 777 until 04JUL, and as after that is a mix of 757 and 763, depending on the day of the week. You're not seeing a "switch", but scheduled operations. AA equipment schedules are usually pretty solid 4 months out, so don't worry.
Old Jun 7, 15, 7:23 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA GGL/CCR, IC Plat A, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Plat, regularly in FS & RC
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
You should be safe. AA2435 is scheduled as a 777 until 04JUL, and as after that is a mix of 757 and 763, depending on the day of the week. You're not seeing a "switch", but scheduled operations. AA equipment schedules are usually pretty solid 4 months out, so don't worry.
The insight is appreciated, hillrider! Indeed, the 777 is on the route till 04JUL. Good to know that it's not "TG-stlye" but scheduled operation! Thanks again!

Search this Thread