FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA DUB / Dublin preclearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1665332-aa-dub-dublin-preclearance-procedures-baggage-duty-free-etc.html)

ardboe Mar 7, 2014 3:06 am

AA DUB / Dublin preclearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc.

I believe all US bound flights leaving DUB now use pre-clearance.

UA-NYC Mar 7, 2014 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ardboe (Post 22479061)
I believe all US bound flights leaving DUB now use pre-clearance.

I did for the AA flight in December...UA flight was the next gate over too.

AlwaysSunnyInORD Mar 7, 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by jock (Post 22478604)
Just read a post on here..and i need to find out if its correct.

flying AA Biz Dub-Jfk next month. I read that AA doesnt use the Pre clearance at Dublin..is that true??

Many thanks

Just flew this last Monday and went through pre-clearance.

HNL Mar 7, 2014 1:25 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

The later afternoon flights on EI do not pre-clear because the CBP service closes mix day

ardboe Mar 7, 2014 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 22482012)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

The later afternoon flights on EI do not pre-clear because the CBP service closes mix day

Back late last year it was announced that all the late afternoon flights are using pre-clearance.

108912 Mar 22, 2015 3:02 pm

DUB / Dublin pre-clearance, lounge, etc. AA and US

Hi all,

Flying DUB-JFK in Business Class in a couple weeks. Have never flown ex DUB before or been able to use US pre clearance immigration.

Can anyone give any pointers on how early I should arrive at the airport? My flight is at 08:55.

Is there any immigration 'Fast track' for J class passengers?

Is the process check in --- US customs --- security?

HNL Mar 22, 2015 3:10 pm

Check-in will be swift. There is the "security" interview at the desk, check in, fast track through emigration & security, then you are airside. I've done it in 15 minutes before, but I would not plan on that.

The departure procedure requires clearing US immigration and and customs. There is not fast track line. There are global entry kiosks. The length of time it takes to clear US formalities is dependent upon how many flights are departing for the US at that time. At I minimum I would plan to clear at T-45 minutes to T-75 minutes before departure.

There is very little in terms of comforts post us formalities. A food stand, duty free shop, and toilets as I recall. So it's a balancing act on how long to stay int he lounge and minimize time at the gate. The ideal is to clear with short lines and walk straight into the plane.

Report back on how things worked out.

paulmcgrath Mar 22, 2015 3:38 pm

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

It depends on day - I've experienced Saturdays are very quiet in the past. No queue when going through for the AA JFK flight.

<redacted>

Upon entering the pre-clear area your boarding pass is scanned. If the hand scanners beeps when your bp is scanned it means you're the last to enter pre-clear for that particular flight and they will 'fast track' you to the front. Similarly if you are in the queue and the flight has started boarding they will ask for passengers on that flight to come forward.

108912 Jul 5, 2015 11:18 am

Hi all just a couple questions. I'm soon to fly DUB - LAX via JFK in J class. It'll be my first experience with pre-clearance.

I am guessing my hold luggage will now be checked all the way through to LAX and I won't have to collect it in JFK?

When connecting in JFK inbound from DUB and onwards to LAX will I have to go through security again?

Many Thanks.

The _Banking_Scot Jul 5, 2015 11:47 am

Hi bananahead,

You will not have to go through security again at JFK. You arrive at JFK and are treated as a domestic arrival so you walk straight into the departures area of the terminal .Assuming you are on AA to LAX just look for your LAX departure gate ( and if you have time head to the AAdmirals club)

Regards

TBS

108912 Jul 5, 2015 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 25072829)
Hi bananahead,

You will not have to go through security again at JFK. You arrive at JFK and are treated as a domestic arrival so you walk straight into the departures area of the terminal .Assuming you are on AA to LAX just look for your LAX departure gate ( and if you have time head to the AAdmirals club)

Regards

TBS

Thanks TBS!

That's good to hear. I'm hoping to check out the recently enhanced offerings in the Flagship Lounge. I shall keep my expectations in check ;-) Any improvement has to be better than the food offerings in there last time i visited.

The _Banking_Scot Jul 5, 2015 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by bananahead (Post 25073474)
Thanks TBS!

That's good to hear. I'm hoping to check out the recently enhanced offerings in the Flagship Lounge. I shall keep my expectations in check ;-) Any improvement has to be better than the food offerings in there last time i visited.

Hi,

I will be in the Flagship lounge next sunday prior to my AA flight back to DUB so will comment on the food. I found the LAX Flagship lounge food to be very good ( for a US lounge) and very good for snacking

Regards

TBS

The _Banking_Scot Jul 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Update ( It is the DAA lounge)

Hi,

By way of update,

I arrived at the AA check in desk on Thursday 9th July at about 610am ( AA 291 schd at 850am)

Check in was quick and I asked the agent which lounge we used and I was told it was the DAA lounge.

There were pieces of paper from AA advising pax that at this busy travel period to go to CBP 2 hours prior to boarding!:eek:

Fast track was quick and I was in the DAA lounge by about 625am. The sign outside the door includes American. The EI Gold circle lounge is just down the corridor but does not state american airlines so I did not go in.

The lounge agent said we should head to CBP at 1 hr 15mins prior to departure.

About 1 hr 30 before my flight I headed to CBP. There is a business class line for the security check ( electrical items out of bags) before joining the CBP queue.

Tne line was busy and moved relatively slowly. Once I was half way down the line the agent started calling out for people with ESTAs to go to the machines ( I was well past that point and decided to stay in the line rather than having to move past people to get to the line for ESTAs.) By the time I got to the front of the line the line agents were just about to call for pax on AA291 who were in line.
The CBP officer showed me a picture of my bag and I was through quickly. En route to the gate there is a duty free shop which had bottles of water for €1 and a container to put the coin in if you had exact change.
By the time I got to the gate boarding had begun ( I think they had finished group 1 but used the priority lane and was soon on board).
Overall took about 45mins for the process but it was great to arrive at JFK and not worry about immigration.:)

Regards

TBS

Earthman Jul 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 25133067)
Hi,

By way of update,

I arrived at the AA check in desk on Thursday 9th July at about 610am ( AA 291 schd at 850am)

Check in was quick and I asked the agent which lounge we used and I was told it was the DAA lounge.

There were pieces of paper from AA advising pax that at this busy travel period to go to CBP 2 hours prior to boarding!:eek:

Fast track was quick and I was in the DAA lounge by about 625am. The sign outside the door includes American. The EI Gold circle lounge is just down the corridor but does not state american airlines so I did not go in.

The lounge agent said we should head to CBP at 1 hr 15mins prior to departure.

The DAA lounge is fine with continental breakfast food but has a Nespresso machine.

About 1 hr 30 before my flight I headed to CBP. There is a business class line for the security check ( electrical items out of bags) before joining the CBP queue.

Tne line was busy and moved relatively slowly. Once I was half way down the line the agent started calling out for people with ESTAs to go to the machines ( I was well past that point and decided to stay in the line rather than having to move past people to get to the line for ESTAs.) By the time I got to the front of the line the line agents were just about to call for pax on AA291 who were in line.
The CBP officer showed me a picture of my bag and I was through quickly. En route to the gate there is a duty free shop which had bottles of water for €1 and a container to put the coin in if you had exact change.
By the time I got to the gate boarding had begun ( I think they had finished group 1 but used the priority lane and was soon on board).
Overall took about 45mins for the process but it was great to arrive at JFK and not worry about immigration.:)

Regards

TBS

The esta machines you mention,are they like the ones at MIA? That do your finger prints,passport etc? Those are in Dublin now?
Is the flight still an old non refurbished 757 and does it have wifi?

The _Banking_Scot Jul 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi,

I believe they are same machines as they have in the US ( I have not used them yet ( they were out of action in LAX and I was travelling with my mom then who had not been to the US on her passport before so could not use them at LAX)

The DUB-JFK flight is on a 757 with the sloping business class seats. I did not see anything advertising wifi on board.

Regards

TBS