Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA DUB / Dublin preclearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
DUB / Dublin International Airport
Pre-clearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc. for AA
Link to DAA Dublin International Airport website

Link to aa.com page on DUB airport

USCBP PRE-CLEARANCE:

AA flights depart DUB Terminal 2, and have USCBP pre-clearance at Dublin International airport; this comes after the lounges. Global Entry kiosks are available. Baggage is pre cleared as well; pre-cleared flights arrive in the USA as domestic flights. Given you are processing check-in, DUB security, USCBP and TSA, give yourself plenty of time to complete these in a timely manner. Though AA states four hours, three hours is generally sufficient - but non-Global Entry and PreCheck queues can get long.

Link to DUB airport page on US pre-clearance

The AA departure procedure at DUB is:
  • Airport check-in
  • Ireland airport security
  • lounge - see here
  • duty free
  • USCBP processing (GE available)
  • TSA / US security processing (no PreCheck available)
  • "51st & Green" lounge available in post-CBP area.
  • small duty free shop available in post-CBP area.
  • gate waiting area and boarding

The flight arrives in the USA as a domestic flight for both passengers and baggage; no additional immigration, customs processing is offered, and passengers will not have to proceed landside and TSA security unless their flight plan entails that for domestic flights (e.g. changing terminals requiring landside connections.)

Lounge and access: see Dublin / DUB DAA Executive Lounge (AA Contract Lounge)

Baggage

Baggage may be tagged through to one's final destination; Preclearance means your flight should arrive as a domestic flight in the USA, with standard baggage transfer to one's next flight by the airline (unless one is connecting to an airline with no interline agreement with AA, e.g. Delta or Southwest).

Duty Free

Strictly speaking, Duty Free, lounge etc are airside (post Ireland airport security) They're after the usual security screening, just before USCBP (which is followed by TSA).

Neither STEB (sealed tamper evident bag) nor jetbridge delivery are used. You will be given your duty free in bags on paying. They won't be sealed unless you ask for them to be sealed. When going through USCBP, there is screening of bags but the liquids rule does not apply here. So you can shop for Duty Free liquids before USCBP without concern. (Thanks to Speedbird876)

Wembleygal says there's a smaller duty free shop immediately past USCBP.

Print Wikipost

AA DUB / Dublin preclearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:53 pm

Precisely, Terminal A at PHL is the International terminal - not a domestic terminal - or is it both?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by loopflyer
Precisely, Terminal A at PHL is the International terminal - not a domestic terminal - or is it both?
Not every flight that arrives at PHL Terminal A is an international flight:

https://www.philadelphia-airport.com...als-terminal-A
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by loopflyer

It's "both" -- passengers requiring inspection will be directed to the inspection area via secure corridors. Domestic flights and those with pre-clearance will be directed to the main concourse and be able to walk to any other concourse without the need to reclear security, as long as you don't exit.
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
US Preclearance and delayed flights

For DUB AA recommends arriving at the airport 4hrs before the flight departure time. Flight AA723 is currently showing an estimated departure from DUB at 1.15pm (scheduled 11.20am) due to the inbound being delayed. I assume AA aren't going to magic up a plane from somewhere else so I'd like to stay in the hotel a little longer.

How late can I get to the airport in this scenario? Will the check in cut off change? Does USPC close at any point?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Delay or not, theres no way I'd show up 4 hours before a flight.

preclearance just adds another step in DUB (vs doing it state side). It isnt that much time added though.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
I ended up arriving at 9.30am for the flight. The priority check in took around 40 minutes. It took just under 10 minutes for fasttrak security. I had a leisurely breakfast in one of the restaurants followed by a trip to wh smith. Preclearance was fairly quick - about 10 mins for the security and then 5 mins for global entry. The non GE line was huge, though. I took a shower and couldn’t resist some blue cheese and potatoes at the lounge. I fhen bad 1hr spare before boarding.

I’d agree that with priority and GE 4hrs is too much. I think 2.5hrs is the minimum I could have gotten away with today.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Those first numbers are always stated as recommendations. There is then a published cut off for check-in bag check and the gate.

Recommendations for pre-clearance stations are significantly longer because carriers do not want to be in the middle of arguments with passengers who encounter CBP issues.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US Preclearance at DUB isn’t staffed to process flights 24/7, but I doubt you would face a show stopper because of the hours of operation at this point.

The hours are also likely to expand in the future (even as passengers are likely going to have to end up paying more for it one way or another):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...915%3fmode=amp
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:46 am

When connecting in DUB, what minimum layover time is reasonable to make it through US preclearance and be able to get some food at the airport? Thinking of booking DUS-DUB-DFW which gives me about 3.5 hours in DUB. My first impression was that this will be plenty of time, but I have zero experiences with the pre-clearance facility. Now I did some research and was surprised that on the DUB airport site that they recommend 4.5 hours when travelling from DUB (they don't specifically advice on connections of course). Any recent DUB connection experiences going to the US?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chimichanga
When connecting in DUB, what minimum layover time is reasonable to make it through US preclearance and be able to get some food at the airport? Thinking of booking DUS-DUB-DFW which gives me about 3.5 hours in DUB. My first impression was that this will be plenty of time, but I have zero experiences with the pre-clearance facility. Now I did some research and was surprised that on the DUB airport site that they recommend 4.5 hours when travelling from DUB (they don't specifically advice on connections of course). Any recent DUB connection experiences going to the US?
Yea, the DUB airport website is just recommending that pax originating in DUB arrive 4.5 hours early, as the airport is one of several in Europe that have been a mess this summer, especially with regards to a lack of staffing at check-in and departures security.

But connecting to a US Pre-Clearance flight you would not be subject to those bottlenecks, however I have no idea if the Pre-Clearance security and immigration is also having issues. I would do some reading over on the Aer Lingus board, see the below thread for example:

US Preclearance Fast Track
chimichanga likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by chimichanga
Haven't been through in the past 2 years but I've gone through 20+ times before covid and it never took more than an hour for everything. Note that food options are very limited past preclearance so I would eat before. I'm going over tomorrow and coming back in a few weeks. I'll update how things are.
chimichanga likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:27 am

The mess at DUB appears to be clearing - https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...ublin-airport/
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
I went through last week at DUB US pre-clearence wasn't a problem. 2 hours should be fine from checked luggage drop off. We left the T2 lounge at 11am (after 1st security check) and were through the US Pre-clearence at the gate by 1145am. Too bad TSA Pre-Check is useless here even for the 2nd security check. I hate the shoe carnival.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
I went through three weeks ago.

Went through main security around T-75 due to delays in the DUB baggage handling team accepting luggage. Nearly missed the cutoff because of this.

Cleared via fast track in 5 minutes. Immediately went through pre-clearance. The lite security line wasn’t long, but the immigration line was easily a 45 plus minute wait. Fortunately I saw the GE booths and walked up the right side of the crowd to go through (there is limited signage). Spent a little time at 51 and Green (good place to kill time and plane spot) and was one of the last to board.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
An hour and forty minutes should be plenty, even with the normal departure delays from DUB.

Be sure to be early to the US Customs/Immigration Preclearance area in DUB, however. It can get pretty hairy during the high season. Obviously, those with Global Entry have an advantage. The 51st and Green lounge is a fine location to kill some time.
Global entry only help during the final stage. You still have to go through the second US customs security though TSA pre helps . One massive line after Dublin security to go to US customs security. I Prefer going through customs on arrival much better especially with Global entry in DFW
scoonee and ryanbriar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.