Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA DUB / Dublin preclearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
DUB / Dublin International Airport
Pre-clearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc. for AA
Link to DAA Dublin International Airport website

Link to aa.com page on DUB airport

USCBP PRE-CLEARANCE:

AA flights depart DUB Terminal 2, and have USCBP pre-clearance at Dublin International airport; this comes after the lounges. Global Entry kiosks are available. Baggage is pre cleared as well; pre-cleared flights arrive in the USA as domestic flights. Given you are processing check-in, DUB security, USCBP and TSA, give yourself plenty of time to complete these in a timely manner. Though AA states four hours, three hours is generally sufficient - but non-Global Entry and PreCheck queues can get long.

Link to DUB airport page on US pre-clearance

The AA departure procedure at DUB is:
  • Airport check-in
  • Ireland airport security
  • lounge - see here
  • duty free
  • USCBP processing (GE available)
  • TSA / US security processing (no PreCheck available)
  • "51st & Green" lounge available in post-CBP area.
  • small duty free shop available in post-CBP area.
  • gate waiting area and boarding

The flight arrives in the USA as a domestic flight for both passengers and baggage; no additional immigration, customs processing is offered, and passengers will not have to proceed landside and TSA security unless their flight plan entails that for domestic flights (e.g. changing terminals requiring landside connections.)

Lounge and access: see Dublin / DUB DAA Executive Lounge (AA Contract Lounge)

Baggage

Baggage may be tagged through to one's final destination; Preclearance means your flight should arrive as a domestic flight in the USA, with standard baggage transfer to one's next flight by the airline (unless one is connecting to an airline with no interline agreement with AA, e.g. Delta or Southwest).

Duty Free

Strictly speaking, Duty Free, lounge etc are airside (post Ireland airport security) They're after the usual security screening, just before USCBP (which is followed by TSA).

Neither STEB (sealed tamper evident bag) nor jetbridge delivery are used. You will be given your duty free in bags on paying. They won't be sealed unless you ask for them to be sealed. When going through USCBP, there is screening of bags but the liquids rule does not apply here. So you can shop for Duty Free liquids before USCBP without concern. (Thanks to Speedbird876)

Wembleygal says there's a smaller duty free shop immediately past USCBP.

Print Wikipost

AA DUB / Dublin preclearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Thanks very much for the quick reply, and the warning about the traffic. I had been assuming the traffic leaving the city wouldn't be bad in the morning. I'm planning to take a taxi from my hotel in central Dublin (either the Morrison or the Conrad) to the airport. What would constitute a reasonable estimate of travel time to the airport given the traffic?
I’ve RON at the DUB Hilton under similar circumstances.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
No way on 60 minutes!!!!
Way off the mark.
30 mins will be fine. Taxis can use the bus lanes.
Taxi driver can make best determination of route on morning of departure ... either via Drumcondra and the N1 > M50/M1 or down the North Wall and through the Port Tunnel.
Note: (Dublin Port) Tunnel is not under the Liffey! It's not near the (River) Liffey ... your geography as an ex-Dub is quite dodgy.
thanks! I had been hoping it was something like 30 minutes, which will give us sufficient time for breakfast. I'll, of course, check the traffic that morning to make sure that there's no unexpected issues. I'm glad to hear that taxis can use the bus lanes-- I imagine that helps a lot.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’ve RON at the DUB Hilton under similar circumstances.
I had considered doing this originally, but since we don't have a lot of time in Dublin on this trip, I figured we'd be able to make better use of our last evening there (dinner and walking around the city) if we're staying in the city, despite the hassle of having to get out to the airport in the morning.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:01 pm

Potentially helpful and/or ill-advised DUB MCT anecdote

After stress-lurking this thread for the past month or so, figured I might be able to provide some anecdotal reassurance for people forced to take a risk.

Incoming to DUB was BA Cityflyer from LCY, listed arrival Dublin T1 8:10am. Onward journey AA to ORD leaving Dublin at 9:55am. Self-connecting meant significant savings on J back home as opposed ex-London, however once a day soon-ending seasonal service to ORD meant if I missed anything I was screwed.

AA recommends *4* hour arrival prior to departure 🙄 , but more concerning was 90 minute check-in requirement as DUB doesn’t accept mobile BP, so no mobile check-in. That said, all hope is not lost, web 24h prior will give you paper BP which if you print suffices as “checked in” under the 90 minute rule (or at least was no issue going straight to T2 security).

String of good luck led to about < 5 min immigration, 10 minute walk T1->T2, 30-40 minutes through Ireland security, under 5 through “TSA”, and under 7 through US Preclearance (feat. Global Entry). 8:40 boarding pushed to 9:05a meant a (probably ill-advised, but at that point living dangerously) 51&G shower to cool off from all the running through the airport / stress sweat, but fairly certain I would have made through the doors even without the boarding delay.

Things to keep in mind:
1) Not what I wanted to read beforehand, but this was extremely stressful. I wouldn’t recommend if it can at all be (reasonably) avoided.
2) Look into DUB Fast Track security if you’re concerned. 12 EUR for advertised 10 minutes though DUB security, which was definitely the highest stress/delay portion of what I encountered.

BOL!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Question Dublin Pre-Clearance and change through DFW

Hi all,

I am coming back from Dublin this summer through DFW. Just got notified that the itinerary has changed and now have 1 hour 40 minutes instead of almost 3 in DFW. If we pre-clear US Customs / Immigration in Dublin, do we still need to claim bags in Dallas or do they check through like a domestic flight? Seems to me that the new layover time is too short if the bags are not checked through. I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by talkandfly
Hi all,

I am coming back from Dublin this summer through DFW. Just got notified that the itinerary has changed and now have 1 hour 40 minutes instead of almost 3 in DFW. If we pre-clear US Customs / Immigration in Dublin, do we still need to claim bags in Dallas or do they check through like a domestic flight? Seems to me that the new layover time is too short if the bags are not checked through. I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks.
Hi,

Bags will be checked through via DFW to your final destination ( assuming all on one ticket) and you are effectively a domestic arrival once you arrive at DFW.

You may have to change Terminals at DFW but this can be done via the airside skytrain at DFW ( no need for further security)

Regards

TBS
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
An hour and forty minutes should be plenty, even with the normal departure delays from DUB.

Be sure to be early to the US Customs/Immigration Preclearance area in DUB, however. It can get pretty hairy during the high season. Obviously, those with Global Entry have an advantage. The 51st and Green lounge is a fine location to kill some time.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
yeah, 1h40min is plenty of time in DFW.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I would second the advise upthread, arrive early early in dublin. I didn't have global entry when I did that trip and while it was faster than I thought it was still long line to do everything.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Thanks all. Do have GE and we are booked on one PNR from Dublin to home.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:07 pm

The gate area post pre-clearance in DUB is so sad. One tiny little bar, last chance Guinness station. Going thru pre-clearance too early can create an excruciating wait.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:02 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by pfreet
The gate area post pre-clearance in DUB is so sad. One tiny little bar, last chance Guinness station. Going thru pre-clearance too early can create an excruciating wait.
I was about to say this... and while my body was starting to reject alcohol I still had hoped for a more comfortable pub setting.

Surprisingly the Guiness was still good
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

There's a small bar in addition to the 51&G lounge, or are you talking about the bar in the lounge?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:04 pm

Us pre clear dub on aa to phl .

U.S. Citizen. Booked an award ticket with 24 hour cancellation DUB-PHL connecting to Alaska on one ticket. The reason I chose DUB is soley for pre clearance. Now, however, I went to the past 3 days AA723 arrived at Terminal A - the international customs/immigration terminal. The flight leaves Dublin at 10:30 a.m. I know that CBP/ICE have limited hours at DUB (what they are I can't find them). They are either closed or there are too many flights departing DUB for U.S. at that time is my guess.

QUESTION: Do aircraft that have gone through pre-clearance also arrive at terminal A in Philly? I'm hoping that's the case.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by loopflyer
U.S. Citizen. Booked an award ticket with 24 hour cancellation DUB-PHL connecting to Alaska on one ticket. The reason I chose DUB is soley for pre clearance. Now, however, I went to the past 3 days AA723 arrived at Terminal A - the international customs/immigration terminal. The flight leaves Dublin at 10:30 a.m. I know that CBP/ICE have limited hours at DUB (what they are I can't find them). They are either closed or there are too many flights departing DUB for U.S. at that time is my guess.

QUESTION: Do aircraft that have gone through pre-clearance also arrive at terminal A in Philly? I'm hoping that's the case.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
AA 723 arrives at PHL terminal A according to Google, FlightAware, etc. It should preclear at Dublin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.