Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA DUB / Dublin preclearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
DUB / Dublin International Airport
Pre-clearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc. for AA
Link to DAA Dublin International Airport website

Link to aa.com page on DUB airport

USCBP PRE-CLEARANCE:

AA flights depart DUB Terminal 2, and have USCBP pre-clearance at Dublin International airport; this comes after the lounges. Global Entry kiosks are available. Baggage is pre cleared as well; pre-cleared flights arrive in the USA as domestic flights. Given you are processing check-in, DUB security, USCBP and TSA, give yourself plenty of time to complete these in a timely manner. Though AA states four hours, three hours is generally sufficient - but non-Global Entry and PreCheck queues can get long.

Link to DUB airport page on US pre-clearance

The AA departure procedure at DUB is:
  • Airport check-in
  • Ireland airport security
  • lounge - see here
  • duty free
  • USCBP processing (GE available)
  • TSA / US security processing (no PreCheck available)
  • "51st & Green" lounge available in post-CBP area.
  • small duty free shop available in post-CBP area.
  • gate waiting area and boarding

The flight arrives in the USA as a domestic flight for both passengers and baggage; no additional immigration, customs processing is offered, and passengers will not have to proceed landside and TSA security unless their flight plan entails that for domestic flights (e.g. changing terminals requiring landside connections.)

Lounge and access: see Dublin / DUB DAA Executive Lounge (AA Contract Lounge)

Baggage

Baggage may be tagged through to one's final destination; Preclearance means your flight should arrive as a domestic flight in the USA, with standard baggage transfer to one's next flight by the airline (unless one is connecting to an airline with no interline agreement with AA, e.g. Delta or Southwest).

Duty Free

Strictly speaking, Duty Free, lounge etc are airside (post Ireland airport security) They're after the usual security screening, just before USCBP (which is followed by TSA).

Neither STEB (sealed tamper evident bag) nor jetbridge delivery are used. You will be given your duty free in bags on paying. They won't be sealed unless you ask for them to be sealed. When going through USCBP, there is screening of bags but the liquids rule does not apply here. So you can shop for Duty Free liquids before USCBP without concern. (Thanks to Speedbird876)

Wembleygal says there's a smaller duty free shop immediately past USCBP.

Print Wikipost

AA DUB / Dublin preclearance, procedures, baggage, duty free, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

BA1580 (AA723) goes to Philadelphia, not Las Vegas. If you have bought a ticket, you have booked the wrong destination!

In addition to the check-in deadline stated in the previous post, when you have two separate tickets, you always have to allow for the first flight being an hour or two (or more) late. If you miss the connection, BA doesn't have to do anything for you. Best to arrive the previous evening.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Skywards
Thanks for all the help.

correction, it was indeed PA and then onwards to Las Vegas.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:17 pm

I’m flying dublin - jfk in business during the summer for the first time, usually I go via heathrow. What are people’s experiences of the 51st & green lounge and of the 757 business cabin
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I’m flying dublin - jfk in business during the summer for the first time, usually I go via heathrow. What are people’s experiences of the 51st & green lounge and of the 757 business cabin
Lounge was fine when I was there last year. Plenty of seating, decent food and booze options and they have showers. Nothing too special but no complaints either.

Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:13 pm

I was in that lounge a few months after it opened and it already felt a bit grimy. I don't think the furniture was chosen well or with a focus on high quality. But a lack of focus on quality and maintenance is unfortunately par for the course in this country for public and semi-public spaces.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
If we arrive at 9:00 AM for the 11:20AM flight to PHL is that ample time to check in, clear security, and Preclearance? We’re checking bags, global entry, and flying in J.

Last edited by WheelsFirst; Jul 7, 2018 at 4:02 am
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
If we arrive at 9:00 AM for the 11:20AM flight to PHL is that ample time to check in, clear security, and Preclearance? We’re checking bags, global entry, and flying in J.
Yes, you should have no issues.
WheelsFirst likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I was in that lounge a few months after it opened and it already felt a bit grimy. I don't think the furniture was chosen well or with a focus on high quality. But a lack of focus on quality and maintenance is unfortunately par for the course in this country for public and semi-public spaces.
"Grimy" this lounge is most certainly not!
I've been through quite a few times (most recently the week before last - on UA) in the past 12 months, and it's clean and the food offerings have improved, in my opinion. The barista delivers good coffee.
Is it among the ten best lounges in the world? No.
But it's light and airy and certainly a much better spot than the general boarding area to be for an hour before having to go to the gate for departure.
It's more than a solid offering ... though the table service to clear dirty dishes and glasses could be a little more consistent when the lounge is busy.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Hi All-
I have a 9:50am out of Dublin, and would like to feed the kids breakfast in the hotel before heading to the airport. If I plan to arrive at DUB at 7:30am, will that likely be sufficient time to make the flight? We're traveling in Y, but I do have plat status so we'll be able to use a (hopefully) shorter line at check-in. Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Hi All-
I have a 9:50am out of Dublin, and would like to feed the kids breakfast in the hotel before heading to the airport. If I plan to arrive at DUB at 7:30am, will that likely be sufficient time to make the flight? We're traveling in Y, but I do have plat status so we'll be able to use a (hopefully) shorter line at check-in. Thanks!
Loads of time.
dantheflyingman likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Hi All-
If you arrive at 7:30am for a 9:50am flight, you should be fine, especially if you head straight for the pre-clearance area.

However, traffic to DUB can be...unkind...in the morning. Be sure to leave yourself plenty of time for travel to DUB, especially if coming from central Dublin.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
If you arrive at 7:30am for a 9:50am flight, you should be fine, especially if you head straight for the pre-clearance area.

However, traffic to DUB can be...unkind...in the morning. Be sure to leave yourself plenty of time for travel to DUB, especially if coming from central Dublin.
Thanks very much for the quick reply, and the warning about the traffic. I had been assuming the traffic leaving the city wouldn't be bad in the morning. I'm planning to take a taxi from my hotel in central Dublin (either the Morrison or the Conrad) to the airport. What would constitute a reasonable estimate of travel time to the airport given the traffic?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry
Best estimate would come from the Concierge @ the hotel. There is a tunnel now under the Liffey for an additional option however I would say 60 minutes. Approx. 10 miles.
Ex. Dublin, Now Menlo Park CA USA
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:10 pm

Wow-- that's much longer than I had expected! Thanks for the information- I'll check with the hotel as well.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IrishBoy
Best estimate would come from the Concierge @ the hotel. There is a tunnel now under the Liffey for an additional option however I would say 60 minutes. Approx. 10 miles.
Ex. Dublin, Now Menlo Park CA USA
No way on 60 minutes!!!!
Way off the mark.
30 mins will be fine. Taxis can use the bus lanes.
Taxi driver can make best determination of route on morning of departure ... either via Drumcondra and the N1 > M50/M1 or down the North Wall and through the Port Tunnel.
Note: (Dublin Port) Tunnel is not under the Liffey! It's not near the (River) Liffey ... your geography as an ex-Dub is quite dodgy.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jul 9, 2018 at 3:59 pm Reason: added via Drumcondra, changed "suspect" to "dodgy"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.