Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
My UPG LGA-MIA for tomorrow AM came through I think at 24 hours out, maybe a little before. Couldn't really tell though because I never received an e-mail notification.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jun 30, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My last two sets of upgrades cleared at T-115 to T-120. Kind of felt like a CK.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Langham Voyager
Data point: cleared LGA-ORD as a PLT at the window
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
7/1 - DFW/LAS: When the upgrade list goes online, I'm not in the lineup. A couple of 30 minute delays and a gate change thins the herd and my partner and I are #1&2 on the list as we board and settle into our exit row seats. 5 minutes later a GA appears and directs us to 1A&C. For the second time on this route, thanks AA!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Upgraded!

t-100 AA493 7/9 CMH - PHX ((A319, no less!)
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Seems a number of mine have been clearing at T-24 these days. In the last few weeks:

- T48: Saturday RDU-PHL E90, Friday RIC-DFW S80
- T24: Sunday ORD-RDU S80, Tuesday July 4 BOS-LGA E90
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

After a string of lots of ~T-100 hr upgrades, now I'm T-48 playing the waiting game. Of course it's a 319 with J5, has C2 still. Oh well, I'm sure it will pull through eventually. Still having good luck lately near T-100.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by aschuett
After a string of lots of ~T-100 hr upgrades, now I'm T-48 playing the waiting game. Of course it's a 319 with J5, has C2 still. Oh well, I'm sure it will pull through eventually. Still having good luck lately near T-100.
I've seen that recently too that there is C inventory but my upgrade hasn't auto-cleared. I don't understand that. Have occasionally been using miles to grab an upgrade in that situation (such as when there's only one desirable seat left open).
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Fri 1025 TPA-CLT: at gate
Fri 1310 CLT-DCA: T-48
Sun 1745 DCA-TPA: T-48

The T-48's were literally within 10min of the mark.

TPA-CLT I've chosen not to request in the past due to flight length, but the certs are piling up. AC Angel said I'd be top of the list with 1 seat open, so I did it.

DCA-TPA had 1 request which cleared at the gate, and 2 non-revs moved to First as well.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Most of my flights are booked ~3-4 weeks out and ever since the change to the rolling EQD totals, I've started getting most of my upgrades at around T-100. I don't think I'm that big of a spender compared to other EXPs (~8k EQDs so far in 2017). Was it just that many EXPs book more than a month in advance or has the system changed in terms of how often they're clearing upgrades now?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA never did eliminate upgrade windows for elites; no hard evidence supports they ever did. They reduced capacity on some routes, increased the seat occupancy rate / passenger load factor throughout, reduced pricing on discounted premium seats, fiddled with Revenue Management algorithms, etc.

Ever since this thread was started, we've seen passengers upgraded within various windows if seats were available and designated (which sometimes doesn't happen for some high demand flights until check-in time - if at all).
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phazedowt
...Was it just that many EXPs book more than a month in advance or has the system changed in terms of how often they're clearing upgrades now?
The only major (and it was MAJOR) change in all this (that would impact clearance at elite window*) was the technical issue they fixed back in January:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27830108-post1160.html
as that technical issue did, in fact, come somewhat close at times-- and to varying degrees-- to doing as the thread title implies.

After that fix it was pretty much a "night and day" situation with upgrades clearing FAR more often in advance (and frequently at/close to max window) vs. at gate/day of.

If you've noticed anything more recent it's what you suggest (people booking more in advance than you, now negated.)

*vs. this change was for day-of improvements: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28294875-post1453.html

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 13, 2017 at 7:00 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Thur 6079 SFO-LAX. Upgraded near immediately after purchase made last night. Got reservations email with new seat number which was quickly followed by upgrade notification email

Now I'm curious to know if I'll clear for 31 LAX - HNL. Seat map online shows only 1 seat open. I'm cool with not getting upgrade since exit row seat was picked. I like row 24 on the A321
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Platinum Upgrades

Does anyone have clarity around how pre departure upgrades work? I’m Platinum and am scheduled to fly on Tuesday. When I check my app, I’m being offered to pay $800 to upgrade to first class on both of my flights. Since it’s under 48 hours from departure, shouldn’t elite upgrades for Platinum have cleared already? Why am I being offered to pay to upgrade?

Last edited by Jon Hummel; Nov 17, 2019 at 10:25 pm
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Yea… I just checked on a flight I have on Thursday via the app and I was being offered $1800 to upgrade to First on both legs as well. Clearly it's AA's attempt to get cash from those that want to secure next cabin of service. I'm sure there are non-elites being offered upgrades too. C'est la vie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.