Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tt120
So so please do tell where and what the evidence is that something was in fact "fixed" ? Because AA made a minor acknowledgment? ��

Come on y'all : nothing in this thread is facts - everyone's just stating their data points and anecdotes.
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....aring-airport/

Several days to a week ago I heard from a source that there had been a technical glitch that was preventing upgrades from being processed, but that this issue had been resolved. (It was only one source and I didn’t believe they had direct knowledge of the issue.)

JonNYC reports as well that the glitch has been fixed.

During yesterday’s earnings call, American Airlines CEO Doug Parker nudged the discussion to a close noting that there recent tradition is to hold a follow up event with employees and they’d need to end the call to transition to that commitment.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:58 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

So so please do tell where and what the evidence is that something was in fact "fixed" ? Because AA made a minor acknowledgment? ��

Come on y'all : nothing in this thread is facts - everyone's just stating their data points and anecdotes.
For quite some time upgrades for most part were only clearing at T-24.5 or T-4 even on flights where the F cabin did not have a single seat booked. Upgrades at T-100 were very rare too.

Now in the last two weeks or so a lot more upgrades are clearing in advance with more regularity. Don't expect many to clear at T-100, but you can expect higher % of your upgrade to clear with some advance (i.e. 48 hours or 60 hours) as result of this recent fix compared to 2016.

Flights with just 4 seats left in F most likely will go down to the wire especially if it is selling relatively well (which appears to be the case given your comment about the upgrade list being 30 deep).

You shouldn't base your opinion based on one flight.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
everyone's just stating their data points and anecdotes
(1) Insiders whose reliability has been borne out have confirmed it, and you have no evidence of similar weight to counter their statements.

(2) Until a few weeks ago, the great weight of the reports was "no window upgrades." Indeed, I was one of the lone voices saying "well sometimes they still happen" -- but I travel SDF-DCA (with 12 F seats on an E70/75) on weekends where the cabins fly out with empty seats regularly, so it's not surprising that I got advance upgrades. Magically, after the glitch is fixed, the great weight of the reports suddenly shifts to "wow so many window upgrades and pre-gate-battle upgrades."

No one is saying "fix = upgrades for everyone" or "fix = upgrades for almost everyone," and it's very certain that no one is saying "fix = upgrades for you."

Finally, the fact that the upgrade list was 30 deep would, in my mind, provide sufficient basis for AA to believe that a handful of people might want to buy F seats at the prevailing rate. Good for you for being #1, but I'm sure there are situations that you have been or are likely to be in where the availability of short-notice F seats will be to your advantage. What was different before the fix was that even on flights that were wide open, upgrades were unicorns.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
I'm EXP and am flying ORF>CLT>LAX tomorrow morning (2/10).

ORF>CLT cleared at T-100 on the dot (on the A319 with only 8 F seats)
CLT>LAX cleared at T-43 (earlier that morning EF was showing J6)

Just wanted to add another data point -- I was getting worried about CLT>LAX!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
CLT>LAX cleared at T-43 (earlier that morning EF was showing J6)

Just wanted to add another data point -- I was getting worried about CLT>LAX!
Thanks! I was wondering that, too. Flying CLT-LAX-HKG next week. Waitlisting a SWU, but we know how that goes, so I did want to know about comp upgrades on this route. My flight is at J6 right now, 5 days out.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So so please do tell where and what the evidence is that something was in fact "fixed" ?
A highly credible source who's been posting inside info here for years with near-100% accuracy says it's fixed. Your indignation at not being upgraded early enough that one time is utterly irrelevant by comparison.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by rjw242
People could be buying the seats, using up SWUs, upgrading with miles+copay, SDCing, not selecting their seats until close to departure; any number of reasons. I know it's disappointing to not get upgraded, but it happens to all of us at one point or another.
Of course, but I don't see how one goes from literally 100% (most at the window) on dozens of flights after the merger (I used to fly dtw-DFW-Phx) on the exact same route to < 50% almost overnight when my travel pattern hasn't changed.

Platbrownguys's suggestion that people are paying the ~$100 premium for last minute F over last minute Y could be correct. Still doesn't explain the phantom gate upgrades I saw....I think there are some shenanigans still. I've been EXP since 2009 and never saw this type of stuff...I know times are changing but it still sucks
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Just got a "you've been upgraded" email for a flight next week, 100 hours out. First time in a long time. I had to think for a minute, since the flight isn't until next Tuesday.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Upgraded Y-J on this week's JFK/LAX flight at ~T-60 (with an accompanying confirmation email). ^
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Another data point: Upgraded T-55 on CLT-LAX on Wednesday, and received email. FT was showing J5 about an hour before I was upgraded.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Here is another data point for you. I'm EXP flying on AA293 JFK-LAX at 8PM tonight with J7 F7 open as per AA.com and google flights. T-10 and STILL no upgrade. Inventory has been J7 F7 for ATLEAST 4 days. AA may have corrected the majority of this glitch but they have made NO effert to verify if the fix was system wide nor have they made any effort to look at their premium routes.

It is great that this issue has been addressed but for someone like myself that flys this route almost exclusively I have yet to see ANY evidence of such a fix.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adurzi
Here is another data point for you. I'm EXP flying on AA293 JFK-LAX at 8PM tonight with J7 F7 open as per AA.com and google flights. T-10 and STILL no upgrade. Inventory has been J7 F7 for ATLEAST 4 days. AA may have corrected the majority of this glitch but they have made NO effert to verify if the fix was system wide nor have they made any effort to look at their premium routes.

It is great that this issue has been addressed but for someone like myself that flys this route almost exclusively I have yet to see ANY evidence of such a fix.
For all intents and purposes-- or, more accurately, if it makes it easier to understand, plan for and deal with-- consider the premium transcons an entirely different class of flights and not subject to "normal" upgrade parameters in terms of how they are managed.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Data point from ZRH - JFK on 2/11 (Saturday after blizzard affected NE USA). Wife and I were upgraded at T-30. Flight was showing 7 available for the first three Biz class buckets with 11 open for most of the week before. Given the possibility of extended delays and possible cancellation of this four times a week route, I was actually surprised to receive the upgrade prior to the gate. In hindsight, it was actually great because it took a lot longer for us to get to the airport early morning due to much slower intervals of the tram and airport trains.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by george 3
Data point from ZRH - JFK on 2/11 (Saturday after blizzard affected NE USA). Wife and I were upgraded at T-30. Flight was showing 7 available for the first three Biz class buckets with 11 open for most of the week before. Given the possibility of extended delays and possible cancellation of this four times a week route, I was actually surprised to receive the upgrade prior to the gate. In hindsight, it was actually great because it took a lot longer for us to get to the airport early morning due to much slower intervals of the tram and airport trains.
Glad to hear it.

But people please stop, there is no window for international upgrades and international upgrades are not what this thread is about. The constant reports about these are cluttering a thread that has long since passed its usefulness as it is.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying RDU-PHL last Saturday on an E90, got upgraded at T-48 (second one of those in a row actually) though oddly I didn't get an email. First time in all my years as an AA elite that I didn't get an upgrade email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.