Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just got upgraded for my Thursday evening flight from ORD-LGA....over two days in advance. Glad to see this issue fixed as it was extremely irritating.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Cleared early this morning for two upgrades on Saturday. Have been buying paid J/F a lot lately but was nice to finally see a 100 hour window upgrade My previous two upgrades were T-48 and at the gate so a nice change of pace.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (4 MM)
I've noted 0 SWU availability on the 787-9 DFW-GRU and GRU-DFW for as far as the eye can see. I requested r/t SWU three months ago on AA962 and AA963 for my upcoming February flights (prior to premium economy sales). Amazingly, with 24 F seats available on AA962 and 15 F seats available on AA963, still SWU is not clearing. Anyone have any insight into what's so special about this particular routing on the new 787-9, why no upgrades?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Upon reviewing some opinions and seeing some posts on the subject I guess I'm forming the opinion that, no, SWUs (and miles,) seem to have -not- been a part of this fixed technical issue.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
DCA-MIA-DCA upgraded at T-56. But never received an upgrade notification email (like in the past).

Are they processing these manually?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:49 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I don't know. I'm at the half-way mark of the EP window and still no upgrade despite J7 on EF and 11 of 16 seats open on the seat map....
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Upon reviewing some opinions and seeing some posts on the subject I guess I'm forming the opinion that, no, SWUs (and miles,) seem to have -not- been a part of this fixed technical issue.
i was waitlisted for miles and copay, and then cleared at t-52. It seems like it was a complementary upgrade, no miles deducted. Not sure if that's the new way or just temporary since miles and copay not fixed.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:04 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You should check back with CK desk for a more comprehensive explanation.
I did - three times. Same explanation. They did not know what was going on.

However, it seems from comments down-thread that this problem may have been fixed a day or two ago. I will see. I have one last segment for a C upgrade waitlisted for a flight in April. Only 3 seats taken (one of which is my travel companion who I was able to upgrade by calling in when my alert from EF hit my email - and one of the times I was told that I have to call to apply C upgrades).
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wjj
I did - three times. Same explanation. They did not know what was going on.

However, it seems from comments down-thread that this problem may have been fixed a day or two ago. I will see. I have one last segment for a C upgrade waitlisted for a flight in April. Only 3 seats taken (one of which is my travel companion who I was able to upgrade by calling in when my alert from EF hit my email - and one of the times I was told that I have to call to apply C upgrades).
With great respect, no-- to all of it.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
i was waitlisted for miles and copay, and then cleared at t-52. It seems like it was a complementary upgrade, no miles deducted. Not sure if that's the new way or just temporary since miles and copay not fixed.
Do not assume miles will not be taken if you put in for an upgrade award on your reservation. Many times they are done after the fact during an audit. You should contact reservations to ask for certain what type of upgrade was used since they won't change the type once you've flown.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyerguy1975
Do not assume miles will not be taken if you put in for an upgrade award on your reservation. Many times they are done after the fact during an audit. You should contact reservations to ask for certain what type of upgrade was used since they won't change the type once you've flown.
Couldn't you also open up your itinerary on aa.com and then go to the Print Receipt link and see if your Booking Code is C (SWU/Miles + Copay) or X (Stickers/UDU). I just checked a flight I have later this year with a confirmed SWU and it lists the booking code as C for the segments that cleared.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ssbmoro
Couldn't you also open up your itinerary on aa.com and then go to the Print Receipt link and see if your Booking Code is C (SWU/Miles + Copay) or X (Stickers/UDU). I just checked a flight I have later this year with a confirmed SWU and it lists the booking code as C for the segments that cleared.
Not necessarily- agent error happens. I know someone that when rebooked due to flight delay they reissued his ticket in T class instead of Y- he had to fight to get credit for segment since the original ticket was booked in N, economy fare not award T.

With all the computer glitches and errors happening I prefer to speak to an agent that will read me exactly what is documented in my reservation before I fly if there is any possibility of an error occurring- ie 2 upgrade options in the same reservation

Customer service won't change the upgrade type after the fact so rule of thumb is resolve prior to boarding with a simple call.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Got an email this morning for DFW-IND 105+ hours. Yesterday received at 60 hours for PHX-BUR. The logjam has broken...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've flown SFO-JFK redeye over 20 times in the last year and while I cleared the upgrade every time it was always at the gate, much to my frustration as an EP/CK.

Scheduled for that flight tomorrow and for the first time ever my upgrade cleared this morning. I was shocked to see this. Obviously the new CK prioritization helps, but I've already done two SFO/JFK and SFO/ORD trips in January that didn't clear till the gate. So this is a welcomed change.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I am curious to know if there is any correlation between having SWU available for use and the time frame to free upgrade and/or 500 stickers available and getting the LBU offer? I noticed that as a PLT w/o 500 stickers available I consistently received the LBU offers. Once there was a 500 sticker available no LBU offer. Now as EXP seems I experience the same with SWU as well as time frame to upgrade processed. So does the system hold back for any SWU/500 use?

Discuss.....

Last edited by token385; Feb 1, 2017 at 2:34 pm Reason: add a line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.