Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Starting out to be the worst year ever for AA upgrades. AUS-DFW and DFW-SNA both no-go's on Friday morning/early afternoon, even though I booked them two months in advance. 2 were upgraded at the gate for AUS-DFW, I was #3. No one upgraded on DFW-SNA. I was upgraded on the Sunday returns. 2 days in advance for DFW-AUS and 1 day in advance for SNA-DFW.

No SWU upgrades available for any of the flights at any time.

Interesting that the DFW-AUS upgrade popped up the day before JonNYC's report of the software fix. The F cabin was almost completely empty, which would have triggered at least some T-100 upgrades in the "good old days". When my upgrade came through they also filled all but two seats at the same time.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
I do a lot of flying from DCA to sub-500 mile destinations on E jets at non-peak times where F is generally empty up to departure. Routinely made upgrades over the past year, but they've virtually all been 4.5 hours before or at the gate. This past Friday, I got an email at exactly 48 hours before that me and my husband had been upgraded for BTV-DCA return home on Sunday. Couldn't believe it--first upgrade to clear at the PLT window!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I was upgraded this morning for a late AM Wednesday flight phx-sea. I almost fell over.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
I am probably in the major minority here....

But as someone who buys F all the time, early clearing of upgrades again is a little annoying. Mainly due to the fact that in the past few months if my connection was running late I was 100% on a reaccom into F on the very next flight.

In the past, I was more like 25% on a reaccom into F on the next flight. The reason - upgrades were clearing. I'd either have to wait a couple hours or take a downgrade.

I truly hope that AA, with its monitoring the F cabin, continues to hold back a reasonable number of seats for those who pay for F combined with a reasonable allotment to the X bucket.
Same here. I don't credit to AAdvantage but travel AA a fair amount, always in paid F/J. Luckily it hasn't happened quite yet but in my four IRROPS situations over the last year or so I've always managed to get the last F seat on the next flight. I count myself lucky in that respect.

I had asked why AA even have an upgrade window (fairly ludicrous question perhaps to seasoned AA flyers!), why not just clear everyone at the gate? You can that at least accommodate paid premium IRROPS ahead of elites.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I think, as some have alluded to, that this may have been a stress test to see what the market would bear and how much additional revenue they would generate from the holdbacks. Either the question was answered and they "fixed the glitch" (as they did in Office Space) or they got the data they needed and will make an official policy change during the next AAdvantage "enhancement" cycle.
I think I'll apply Hanlon's_razor here and just go with it was a glitch, its been fixed (yeah!) and move on without the conspiracy theories.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD tomorrow cleared on Sunday afternoon. Was even able to pre-order....imagine that.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:03 pm

Slightly OT here, so beg pardon...

Does anyone know whether we are seeing the improved clearing time for SWUs too? I'm waitlisted on a couple that are expiring end-Feb and would hate to go down to the wire only to have them go "poof".
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pmblinn

Does anyone know whether we are seeing the improved clearing time for SWUs too? ..
There is some reason to believe that this is the case, that's seemingly how it was presented (that that was broken too.) But I'd think we'd see some reports of same (the way we've seen so many for domestic upgrades,) or at least a few.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is some reason to believe that this is the case, that's seemingly how it was presented (that that was broken too.) But I'd think we'd see some reports of same (the way we've seen so many for domestic upgrades,) or at least a few.
Thanks. I'll remain guardedly optimistic while waiting for feedback to roll in.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Related to SWU's clearing, I was a T-49 with an SWU pending, 11 of 12 F seats still open. At T-48, 8 more seats gone, I presume EXP's clearing, my SWU still pending. I call and question why my SWU still hasn't cleared and got the standard answer, its not available. I go to Expert Flyer and see that there is a C (SWU) seat available, call back and snag it. It's hard for me to believe that the system is working. If it was, why didn't I clear if it was available?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:25 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Related to SWU's clearing, I was a T-49 with an SWU pending, 11 of 12 F seats still open. At T-48, 8 more seats gone, I presume EXP's clearing, my SWU still pending. I call and question why my SWU still hasn't cleared and got the standard answer, its not available. I go to Expert Flyer and see that there is a C (SWU) seat available, call back and snag it. It's hard for me to believe that the system is working. If it was, why didn't I clear if it was available?
That has happened to me a half dozen times since the "improved" system came online where domestic SWU or miles upgrades became C and not A inventory. I waitlisted but never cleared until I called when availability showed up on Expert Flyer. There is no wait list for C inventory. You must call when you see availability. I asked the CK desk why I did not automaticaly clear and they had no answer other than no one is clearing without calling. Another great enhancement at the new AA.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wjj
That has happened to me a half dozen times since the "improved" system came online where domestic SWU or miles upgrades became C and not A inventory. I waitlisted but never cleared until I called when availability showed up on Expert Flyer. There is no wait list for C inventory. You must call when you see availability. I asked the CK desk why I did not automaticaly clear and they had no answer other than no one is clearing without calling. Another great enhancement at the new AA.
You forget-as far as the mgmt team of the 'new' AA goes, we are nothing more than self-loading freight, so why worry about giving something away for free to the self-loading freight?

I've said it before, but I'll say it again-the 'new' AA wants my money, but it has no interest in my business and those are 2 very different things. They don't seem to realize that there will come a time when they will actually need my business again.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wjj
...There is no wait list for C inventory. You must call when you see availability. I asked the CK desk why I did not automaticaly clear and they had no answer other than no one is clearing without calling. Another great enhancement at the new AA.
You should check back with CK desk for a more comprehensive explanation.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by pmblinn

Does anyone know whether we are seeing the improved clearing time for SWUs too? I'm waitlisted on a couple that are expiring end-Feb and would hate to go down to the wire only to have them go "poof".
i had been waitlisted for SWU UGs for a mid-February trip with both legs on light travel days. Just about the time that the 500s logjam broke, I had an EF alert for C inventory on my return flight. I checked my account and found I'd been UGed both ways!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfrost
...Just about the time that the 500s logjam broke, I had an EF alert for C inventory on my return flight. I checked my account and found I'd been UGed both ways!
Nice report! ^

As I mention above, it was strongly inferred to me that this was for "upgrades of all types," I was just a tad reluctant to include SWU/Miles upgrades in my reporting on same as there didn't seem to be the same body of evidence*, but, seems like a very strong possibility that SWU's only/far-too-many-times clearing at the gate was in this technical issue as well. Little more data needed, but very interesting so far.

But to be 100% clear, I'm 100% unsure on this part.

* that is to say that by the time I heard about the fix, there was already a flood of reports here that domestic upgrades were clearing all of a sudden and against recent pattern.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 31, 2017 at 10:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.