Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by aztimm
Battlefield upgrades are when the gate agent comes onto the aircraft and hands you a new boarding pass for first.

The gate dance is when you're upgraded at the gate.

So what's it called when you're in the air and you get one?

I moved back a row on my flight last night as both seats were vacant, then about 15mins into the flight the FA (same one who I asked permission to switch seats just as boarding ended) asked if the seat next to me was empty and brought some guy up from Y.

When he was getting off the aircraft I could hear him talking to another passenger who was across the aisle but they never chatted during the flight. Seemed they were having an "if you know the secret handshake" type chat. Didn't seem overly friendly with the FA that upgraded him though...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
99 hours and 40 minutes. I'll leave this here:

Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
got an email ~40 hours out for a confirmed SFO-MIA upgrade for the 28th.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.4 MM)
1/28 LAS-PHL Upgrade confirmed at T-53
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Cleared this morning ~ T-49 ORD-DFW Super 80 for Saturday (EXP)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
1/28 DCA-ORD cleared at ~T-50 for myself and companion...first one that has cleared before gate or the last automated sweep in a long time
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
T-25 DEN-ORD cleared.

I'm well within the T-100 window for a wide open ORD-DFW 787 flight, but that's will be a definite gate upgrade.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:15 pm

T-27 LGA-YYZ cleared.

Just wondering since I'm new to this, am I suppose to get an email or text about this? I received no notifications and just happen to see that my ticket/seat changed when I logged in to AA.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tphuang
T-27 LGA-YYZ cleared.

Just wondering since I'm new to this, am I suppose to get an email or text about this? I received no notifications and just happen to see that my ticket/seat changed when I logged in to AA.
They usually send out an email informing you when the upgrade is processed (see above for a sample), though I find they don't always come through.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
T105 for DFW-DEN. I usually the most luck with this flight, as well as the late night PHX-DEN flight if I ever fly it. I cleared into 4F which I assume means I was first person to clear.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
T-46 for SDF-DCA this Saturday
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by Bflotraveler
1/28 DCA-ORD cleared at ~T-50 for myself and companion...first one that has cleared before gate or the last automated sweep in a long time
Me too (at T- 48)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
DEN - ORD at the gate today.

But I was booked under a BA flight number and so wasn't on the upgrade list until I had the agent in the AC add me a couple hours prior to departure. So another reason to be glad some seats are held back until the gate.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by ckendall
Me too (at T- 48)
And also at T-48 on the return.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG PLT, HH GLD
T-48 for exec plat for LGA-DFW-LAX-DFW-LGA. Couldn't believe the congratulations emails kept coming one after the other for all 4 segments!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.