Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Surprise at the gate today ... found I was upgraded at T-2, with cnx upg at T-3. First "advance" upgrade in over a month.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
On flight 1365 tomorrow from lga to mia. 12 open seats in J, and no upgrades have been cleared yet.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by brc757rr
Complimentary upgrade Y to J for 1/23 JFK-LAX at T-48. Almost fell over.
Wow - Glad you're okay!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
On flight 1365 tomorrow from lga to mia. 12 open seats in J, and no upgrades have been cleared yet.
Called up last night and switched to flight 1103 because of expected weather in NYC today, re-requested the upgrade for my son, and we cleared at 415 am - about T-5.5

Last edited by jay_dubya; Jan 23, 2017 at 5:04 am Reason: Poorly written
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I was on the 8am BOS-LGA shuttle last Thursday. They upgraded 7 people at the gate (well six at the gate and one onboard upgrade). I was #2, I think. It was the most battlefield upgrades that I have seen on this route.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
While waiting for an upgrade for my 5:20 PM ORD/PHX today which is J7/C7 with twelve open seats and what looks to be a light elite load, my Wednesday evening PHX/ORD cleared at T-52 or so. Just about fell over.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Weight restricted?

Last weekend was on a flight ORD to PHL on a 321. There were 4 open seats in FC and the GA told me that the flight was weight restricted so no more upgrades. I've been on regional aircraft that were weight restricted but never on larger equipment. Besides, what difference would it make moving me from row 5 in the main cabin to row 4 in FC? Anyone else been told they couldn't clear upgrades due to weight restrictions?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by brc757rr
Complimentary upgrade Y to J for Monday, 1/23 AA#83 JFK-LAX at T-48. Almost fell over.
Are you sure that wasn't a dream?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PDXAA
Last weekend was on a flight ORD to PHL on a 321. There were 4 open seats in FC and the GA told me that the flight was weight restricted so no more upgrades. I've been on regional aircraft that were weight restricted but never on larger equipment. Besides, what difference would it make moving me from row 5 in the main cabin to row 4 in FC? Anyone else been told they couldn't clear upgrades due to weight restrictions?
Weight restrictions aren't that uncommon, even on 777s, as it's really "weight and balance" restrictions. That includes fuel load and distribution, cargo and baggage ditto, passengers, etc. If they've been told there are W&B restrictions, they're not going to violate those even with a row 5-4 move.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by PDXAA
Last weekend was on a flight ORD to PHL on a 321. There were 4 open seats in FC and the GA told me that the flight was weight restricted so no more upgrades. Besides, what difference would it make moving me from row 5 in the main cabin to row 4 in FC? Anyone else been told they couldn't clear upgrades due to weight restrictions?
Well even worse, downgraded from a paid F ticket to MCE because of weight restrictions on that aircraft. Happened twice from LAX-OGG and OGG-LAX.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by MauiOC
Well even worse, downgraded from a paid F ticket to MCE because of weight restrictions on that aircraft. Happened twice from LAX-OGG and OGG-LAX.
Wow, I would go pretty crazy over that situation...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Was there any compensation due or received? I understand weight and balance is a bit out of their control, but that's a significant downgrade on a decent length flight.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Was there any compensation due or received? I understand weight and balance is a bit out of their control, but that's a significant downgrade on a decent length flight.
The short answer is yes, I was, but not much. A lot of back-and-forth with AA on this and ended up with around $125 per ticket/one-way plus some miles.

I fly this route pretty frequently and a senior FA said this plane in the winter causes major headaches like this. In fact, last trip (OGG-LAX) a few weeks ago they were temporarily offering volunteers (in Y no less) $1K voucher and a hotel to take the next day's flight b/c of weight and balance issues. Ultimately, the Pilot decided we were fine with the load so it wasn't needed. For that deal, I was actually hoping I would get bumped.

Don't want to hijack this thread so here is the original post:

Involuntary Downgrade LAX-OGG
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Score8
I was on the 8am BOS-LGA shuttle last Thursday. They upgraded 7 people at the gate (well six at the gate and one onboard upgrade). I was #2, I think. It was the most battlefield upgrades that I have seen on this route.
Battlefield upgrades are when the gate agent comes onto the aircraft and hands you a new boarding pass for first.

The gate dance is when you're upgraded at the gate.

Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Battlefield upgrades are when the gate agent comes onto the aircraft and hands you a new boarding pass for first.

The gate dance is when you're upgraded at the gate.

I'd call anywhere within 20-30 feet of the jet bridge door battlefield these days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.