Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
1. Not true.
Oh really?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hdporter
I care. I often look to catch up on sleep in-flight, so prefer a window seat for an uninterrupted nap. Also, prefer to steer clear of bulkhead. The 100-hr EXP window is very accommodating of a decent seat selection. At the gate, choice is limited (although today the list was cleared in pairs, with first clearances given a seating choice ... first time I've encountered this).
Same thing happened yesterday on PHX-IND. A319 with 8 F, 2 cleared about 20 minutes before boarding, then 5 more 10 minutes later. So, 7 out of 8 are available but nothing happens until just before boarding.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:06 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Sorry meant to say 30-45 min before the flight...
Frankly, its disgusting. People can post all they want to the contrary, but obviously the idea of any window is a bad joke.

And don't even get me started on the timing of SWU clearing! Its like there is no window at all- just keep people waiting and praying.

I think AA should just come clean in its marketing. At this point, I'm going free agent and buying deeply discounted F whenever possible.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR

I think AA should just come clean in its marketing. At this point, I'm going free agent and buying deeply discounted F whenever possible.
Dont be mad, that's the right answer - I did that all last year and it's the right way to go. These days discounted F is typically (not always) only a bit more than Y. I still ended up with 150k eqms on AA but also had a good chunk on DL, AS and international airlines. Gone are the days of taking extra connections or creative routings to stay loyal. None of the airlines (seriously none of them) are going to treat top tier as they did in the past it's only smart to adapt.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ryan182
Dont be mad, that's the right answer - I did that all last year and it's the right way to go. These days discounted F is typically (not always) only a bit more than Y. Gone are the days of taking extra connections or creative routings to stay loyal. None of the airlines (seriously none of them) are going to treat top tier as they did in the past it's only smart to adapt.
+1 This will be my first year as a free agent. If I'm willing to pay for F, there is really no need for top-tier status anymore.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Oh really?
​​​​​​
Yep. Read this thread, you will see reports of 100 hour upgrades. I cleared one on my last trip, though not on the trip I am currently on.

Are 100HR upgrades less common than they used to be? Maybe/possibly.

Are they gone/nonexistent? Simply not true.

remember this thread is full of folks with an axe to grind, it is not a meaningful sample.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
And don't even get me started on the timing of SWU clearing! Its like there is no window at all- just keep people waiting and praying.
Maybe that's because there is no window for SWUs? @:-)

Don't mistake the probable situation of little advance C space, for a reduction of a window which never existed.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Few added data points

1/7 - ORD/LGA w/ Plat companion - 5 hours in adv
1/10 - LGA/ORD w/ Plat companion - @ the gate

1/16 - ORD/MDT - F7 T-96, F6 T-24, F6 T-4, UG @ the gate
1/18 - MDT/CLT - F7 T-96, F7 T-24, F7 T-4, UG @ the gate
1/18 - CLT/CHA - F7 T-96, F6 T-24, F6 T-4, UG @ the gate
1/20 - CHA/CLT - F7 currently.

this year nothing has been confirmed earlier than 6 hours, even shocked a couple of club agents but they too weren't able to confirm the UG.

Good news cleared them all even w/ a companion. Picking seats and such it a pain last minute, and having to wait at the gate constantly watching the screen of my phone.

EXP - 130k EQP in 2016, generally book 40 days out.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by bse118
Maybe that's because there is no window for SWUs? @:-)

Don't mistake the probable situation of little advance C space, for a reduction of a window which never existed.
It's basically the same problem, expressed slightly differently. Both C and R (nee X) inventory are being released much closer to time of departure than in the past.

However, I agree with your previous point that it's silly to say that there's no window. My most recent trip cleared at 100 hours, albeit on a route in which literally everyone who requested an upgrade got it (DCA->JFK).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I used a soon expiring SWU for MIA/ORD this morning. It cleared right after T-24. Today at the gate a bunch of upgrades for the CIP 763 cleared just as boarding commenced. There were still several empty seats.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Haven't been upgraded at 100 hour window in I can't remember how long. Have a flight from PHX-SEA less than four hours away and there are 12 open seats in F and 13 total people on the upgrade list. It's crazy to me that they haven't cleared at least half of those people prior to now, but I'm seeing more and more of this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
another data point:

yesterday's flight 6050 LAX-SLC was J6 at 24 hours prior and upgraded at gate.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I find the late upgrade issue frustrating, as a few times my checked bag has come in 2-3 lbs. overweight. (I travel with materials for work and often store them my checked bag.) The ticket agent reminds me I'm not in first and tells me to get rid of the extra items. I grub around, pull out some extra items, and stuff them in my carry-on computer bag. And then I get upgraded at the gate, where I would have been allowed to have up to 75 lbs. of items in my checked bag. *sigh* It's a little thing, I know, but it's still frustrating, and the little things add up when one travels a lot. It was much easier when we were upgraded in the advertised window.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
OMA-DFW this year, so far this year I have cleared at t-48 once (14 unoccupied F seats at 100 on seat map, F7 on EF) and t-3 twice (12 and 10 open seats at t-100, both F7). I haven't cleared for my return tomorrow (30 hours out or so)

So it continues.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm on a J9 CR7 flight tomorrow morning, F is completely unassigned and we're about 27 hours from boarding. Too early in the day for European feed, so I'm not sure what they're waiting for.

By comparison, DL has already cleared my Monday 6AM RDU-LGA as a lowly non-Reserve Platinum, five full days out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.