Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by trapped
I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I recently flew CX from HKG to ORD and visited The Wing and The Pier (awesome lounges), but since I bought a CX V fare home, I didn't accrue AA mileage for my flights. I could have credited to BA for 50% accrual, but then my status wouldn't have shown up on my boarding card. If I did use my BA FF# on the reservation, but presented my AA EXP card would they have allowed entry? Obviously this applies to any other OW lounges as well.
I got in the Pier using my BA Gold Card with AS FF# on my CX BP.
trapped likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
I am AA ExP and LATAM Black - so twice Emerald. I booked a PE ticket on BA flying from BOS to LHR crediting the flight on AA. Even though I was granted lounge access, the receptionist said I couldn't be allowed at the first class dining area as this was exclusive to customers flying BA on first. I did not bother because the area is small and by no means private. But is this policy allowed by OW?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by broland
I am AA ExP and LATAM Black - so twice Emerald. I booked a PE ticket on BA flying from BOS to LHR crediting the flight on AA. Even though I was granted lounge access, the receptionist said I couldn't be allowed at the first class dining area as this was exclusive to customers flying BA on first. I did not bother because the area is small and by no means private. But is this policy allowed by OW?
Yep, at a number of BA lounges they operate a First dining area that is open only to those flying in BA F.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by broland
The BA First Dining and Concorde Lounges, AA Flagship First Dining, AA, BA and CX Arrivals Lounges, QR Al Safwa lounge and some others do not fall within the purview of oneworld.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE)
I am thinking of buying SFO-LAX flights with AA, but it is operated by Compass Airlines. I am QF Gold (OW Sapphire). Can I get access to the Admirals Club lounge?? The rules on AA website states flights "marketed and operated by American...". Does Compass Airlines count???

Cheers guys!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silentiger
I am thinking of buying SFO-LAX flights with AA, but it is operated by Compass Airlines. I am QF Gold (OW Sapphire). Can I get access to the Admirals Club lounge?? The rules on AA website states flights "marketed and operated by American...". Does Compass Airlines count???

Cheers guys!
Yes, it does.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, it does.
Thanking you!
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silentiger
Thanking you!
I forgot to extend a welcome to FlyerTalk. Enjoy.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:26 pm

I forgot to extend a welcome to FlyerTalk. Enjoy.
Cheers mate! I feel welcomed indeed! Such a great community here
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:30 pm

The BA First Dining and Concorde Lounges, AA Flagship First Dining, AA, BA and CX Arrivals Lounges, QR Al Safwa lounge and some others do not fall within the purview of oneworld.
Actually, CX Arrivals in Hong Kong allows access to Oneworld Emeralds traveling on CX, (even in Y). I have used it several times as an EXP in PE or Y.
here is their quote: We welcome First and Business passengers, along with selected Marco Polo Club members and oneworld frequent flyers.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laagima
Actually, CX Arrivals in Hong Kong allows access to Oneworld Emeralds traveling on CX, (even in Y). I have used it several times as an EXP in PE or Y.
here is their quote: We welcome First and Business passengers, along with selected Marco Polo Club members and oneworld frequent flyers.
Thanks for the correction. But as I understand it, that wouldn’t apply to someone Emerald but flying in on AA, MH, etc.? In other words, I’d have to be flying CX or KA only, so oneworld rules about flying any oneworld qualifying arriving flight wouldn’t apply, no?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by laagima
In fact, JDiver stands correct on this.

The oneworld rules give access to OW FF to J or F lounges, regardless of the OW carriers they opt to fly with. Even with F lounges, OWE should be able to access without restriction. CX Arrival restricts the carrier to CX itself, similar way AA Arrival at LHR restricts access, so it does not fall within the general rules of OW lounge access.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:45 am

Thanks for the correction. But as I understand it, that wouldnt apply to someone Emerald but flying in on AA, MH, etc.? In other words, Id have to be flying CX or KA only, so oneworld rules about flying any oneworld qualifying arriving flight wouldnt apply, no?
Oh, I would never dream of correcting your information and that was not my intention!! Just adding information that it was my oneworld emerald status that allowed me to use the CX arrivals lounge
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA PPro
For the first time, and likely last time, I made ExPlat for 2018 and am traveling through HKG with a 3.5 hour layover with my wife. We have friends that will meet us for our second leg and we would like to try to get them access to a Bus lounge. I"m Exp Plat (sapphire) and my wife is Emerald, so we each qualify for an entry plus a guest in the Business class CS lounge. That said, I really want to try the cabanas in the CX WING first lounge in HKG in which I can bring my wife as a guest. Can you tell me if this plan will work for our friends.

First 2 hours, go to the WING for First Cabanas with my wife as my guest and then, depart and go to the Pier Business lounge where we each can bring a guest to get our friends in.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I have learned so much for FT forums.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tfizzle
For the first time, and likely last time, I made ExPlat for 2018 and am traveling through HKG with a 3.5 hour layover with my wife. We have friends that will meet us for our second leg and we would like to try to get them access to a Bus lounge. I"m Exp Plat (sapphire) and my wife is Emerald, so we each qualify for an entry plus a guest in the Business class CS lounge. That said, I really want to try the cabanas in the CX WING first lounge in HKG in which I can bring my wife as a guest. Can you tell me if this plan will work for our friends.

First 2 hours, go to the WING for First Cabanas with my wife as my guest and then, depart and go to the Pier Business lounge where we each can bring a guest to get our friends in.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I have learned so much for FT forums.
EXP is oneworld Emerald, not Sapphire. So if you are both Emerald, you can both access any of the F lounges plus one guest each.

If you have your stones mixed up and you are Emerald via EXP, and your wife is Sapphire, then of course your plan will work. You can go to any of the F lounges with your wife as your guest, then later go to any of the Business lounges with your 2 friends as guests of you and your wife.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.