Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld and American Airlines Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status
Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

• Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)

• Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

• Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.
Children: AA and most lounges will admit young children without applying guest access limitations. Children 18 or over (and in many Lounges those flying on adult tickets) will always be seen as adults falling under guest rules, unless you're an Admirals Club member seeking Club access with "immediate family".

Print Wikipost

oneworld and AA Lounge Access Based on oneworld Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tfizzle
For the first time, and likely last time, I made ExPlat for 2018 and am traveling through HKG with a 3.5 hour layover with my wife. We have friends that will meet us for our second leg and we would like to try to get them access to a Bus lounge. I"m Exp Plat (sapphire) and my wife is Emerald, so we each qualify for an entry plus a guest in the Business class CS lounge. That said, I really want to try the cabanas in the CX WING first lounge in HKG in which I can bring my wife as a guest. Can you tell me if this plan will work for our friends.

First 2 hours, go to the WING for First Cabanas with my wife as my guest and then, depart and go to the Pier Business lounge where we each can bring a guest to get our friends in.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I have learned so much for FT forums.
What JJeffrey says is accurate.

My caution is to have a low expectation to use one of the 5 cabanas within the 2 hour period before meeting with your friends unless you get there the very moment they open. Personally prefer the Pier F lounge to the Wing, but this is a purely personal opinion.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Sorry I did get my stones mixed up. I am emerald and she is sapphire. The biggest thing I really want is a long quiet shower after LAX-HKG.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:25 am
HAF

hey y'all -
Traveling SFO-LAX-LIM in a couple of weeks - SFO-LAX is on VX and LAX-LIM on LP (separate tickets... long story...) - given I made AA Plat in 2018 - do i qualify for access to the AA lounge @sfo since I have an international same day (south america) segment/connection on a oneworld partner? Should be allowed access at the oneworld lounge at LAX, but i am not sure about SFO.

AA & VX share the same terminal at SFO so access to the lounge would be very convenient.

Many Thanks
--HAF
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by HAF
hey y'all -
Traveling SFO-LAX-LIM in a couple of weeks - SFO-LAX is on VX and LAX-LIM on LP (separate tickets... long story...) - given I made AA Plat in 2018 - do i qualify for access to the AA lounge @sfo since I have an international same day (south america) segment/connection on a oneworld partner? Should be allowed access at the oneworld lounge at LAX, but i am not sure about SFO.

AA & VX share the same terminal at SFO so access to the lounge would be very convenient.

Many Thanks
--HAF
I'm afraid not in SFO. Both segments need to be on a OW operated and marketed carrier.

No issues accessing either the AA Flagship Lounge and/or the OW Business Lounge in LAX.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HAF
hey y'all -

Many Thanks
--HAF
Certainly not. Flying VX out of SFO means you have no Admirals Club access at SFO - unless you have a pass or day Pass.

You do have a qualifying international flight on a oneworld flight on the same day, so you will be welcomed at the oneworld (operated by Qantas) Business Lounge in LAX.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Guesting in JFK - One World flights, different terminals (T7 / T8)

Hello All,

I have a question about guesting into the Flagship Lounge at JFK T8 or BA Lounge at T7 as an alternative.

I am spending a few days in New York with a friend and while we are on different flights, we are leaving on the same night (within one hour of each other). I am on a BA flight to LHR, leaving from T7. I am OneWorld Emerald travelling in First. My friend is travelling on CX to Vancouver, leaving from T8. She has no status and travels Economy.

I have read up that I should be able to guest her into any One World lounge based on my status even though we are not on the same flight.

Does anyone here know whether I can guest her into the BA Lounge at T7 if her flights leaves from T8 or do we need to depart from the same terminal (albeit on different flights)?

On a side note, I wouldn't mind using the Flagship Lounge at T8 as the showers in the BA Lounge are being refurbished when I'm there, but could I use the Lounge at T8 and then go across to T7? I assume that I would need to go landside and go through Security again, correct?

Thank you very much for any advice regulars have.

Last edited by Inselhuepfer; Jun 29, 2018 at 5:10 am Reason: Re-posing my original question - part-answered
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Hello All,

I have a question about guesting into the Flagship Lounge at JFK T8.

I am spending a few days in New York with a friend and while we are on different flights, we are leaving on the same night (within one hour of each other). I am on a BA flight to LHR, leaving from T7. I am OneWorld Emerald travelling in First. My friend is travelling on CX to Vancouver, leaving from T8. She has no status and travels Economy.

Does anyone here know whether I could guest her into the Flagship Lounge at JFK T8? I realise I'd forego the Concorde Room, but I assume that she couldn't get into T7 to join me in the BA Lounge, correct?

I know that BA allows one guest for Golds and they don't have to be on the same flight but they need to travel on a One World partner. Does AA have the same rules?

Thank you very much for any advice regulars have.
AA has the same rules, if you can access T8 airside to get to the Flagship Lounge then your friend can be your guest since she's also departing on a same day oneworld flight. I believe JFK operates such that a same day boarding pass will get you into any of the terminals, however I've never tried it as the extra time and security hassle is rarely worth it. Just be prepared for some strange looks from security and the FL staff as obviously you'll be in the wrong terminal for your BA flight.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
A belated thank you very much for the quick response, JJeffrey! I am re-thinking this whole enterprise, it just doesn't seem worth it, in particular as I have to get on a train to change terminals. But it's good to know if it ever comes up again.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Does oneworld emerald JFK-LAX in business class get access to the british airways lounge in T7? My understanding is yes based on the oneworld site however i wanted to make sure
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
Does oneworld emerald JFK-LAX in business class get access to the british airways lounge in T7? My understanding is yes based on the oneworld site however i wanted to make sure
Yes by the rules, assuming you're talking about a non-AA oneworld emerald, but expect to be given some looks and/or have the BA lounge dragons refuse entry since your flight isn't from that terminal. Why would you be using the BA lounge in T7 instead of the AA Flagship Lounge in T8, where your JFK-LAX flight will depart?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
I have a friend on a BA flight in first and I would like to enjoy the lounge with him. I am AA emerald and just got Cathay emerald
Old May 8, 2019, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Its been over a decade since I last flew on AA TATL

I have an upcoming Y tkt that goes JFK-CLT-TATL I know as a LT Plat I can enter the Lounge in CLT, but can I @ JFK as well? Its all 1 tkt(PNR) I know with UA I have access as long as my Intl segment is the same day, but no idea what AAs policy is
Old May 8, 2019, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are using AA status to gain lounge access, then as long as it is the same day, there is no issue
Old May 9, 2019, 3:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by craz

I have an upcoming Y tkt that goes JFK-CLT-TATL I know as a LT Plat I can enter the Lounge in CLT, but can I @ JFK as well? Its all 1 tkt(PNR) I know with UA I have access as long as my Intl segment is the same day, but no idea what AAs policy is
The policy is if your access enabling (TATL) segment is the same day or before 6:00 am the you may access the lounge - for you, the JFK Flagship Lounge or Admirals Clubs.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by craz

Originally Posted by JDiver
The policy is if your access enabling (TATL) segment is the same day or before 6:00 am the you may access the lounge - for you, the JFK Flagship Lounge or Admirals Clubs.
And as noted you have access to both the AC and Flagship Lounge. Pick the Flagship Lounge..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.