Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Latest merger updates: FFP merged 28 Mar. Updates, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

US Dividend Miles Successfully Merged Into AA AAdvantage March 2015

AA spokesperson Laura Nedbal states all USDM accounts have been ported over to AAdvantage as of 31 March. Further work to be done on accounts members matched. There will be a method on aa.com soon for members to merge accounts. Link to Dallas Morning News Aviation Blog by Terry Maxon.
Members stating employees say the conversion began the night of the 25th, CPs first and on down the status line, expected processing to complete Saturday. USDM status is now reflected in AA accounts. CP->EXP SWUs are showing up in accounts as well.
mmthomas44 reports in post #90 migation did not extend the original DM expiration.
aa.com: We know 500-mile upgrades are new for Dividend Miles Preferred members. So we'll add four 500-mile upgrades for every 10,000 Preferred qualifying miles earned from March 1, 2014 (or the date you qualified for Preferred status) through February 28, 2015 (maximum of 24). You can use these upgrades on flights over 500 miles or to upgrade a travel companion.

What to expect Link to this page (24 March 2015)

On March 28, we’ll begin transitioning to a single loyalty program and bringing millions of Dividend Miles members into the AAdvantage program. This process will take several days.

If you have a Dividend Miles account or if you matched your accounts, there’s nothing you need to do. Soon you’ll get an email with your new AAdvantage number or an email to let you know we’ve combined your accounts. Until then, you can continue to use your Dividend Miles number.
  • You can still book, check in and log in on aa.com and usairways.com
  • Some functionality like the ability to make Dividend Miles profile and notification updates will be unavailable for a few days
  • You’ll continue to earn miles and your new activity will post to your AAdvantage account on aa.com when the programs have combined
Want to book Dividend Miles award travel?

March 25 is the last day to book Dividend Miles award travel; redemption will be unavailable while we work to combine loyalty programs. Once we’ve combined loyalty programs, you can book award travel with your miles on aa.com.
28 March: Account merger; US Dividend Miles begin becoming AAdvantage miles. (US e-mail)

Major AA batch processes typically occur on weekends, and can take a day or two (perhaps longer this mother of all batches?) During processing time, accounts often are "zeroed out"(see thread), usually with an annotation:

● Sometimes a message shows: "Your monthly AAdvantage summary is currently being processed. Please note that, due to lags in processing time, the latest summary may temporarily not appear creating a gap in your mileage information."

-or-

● "I can not see my account" - it says "This feature is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please try again later."
25 March midnight: End of new USDM award redemptions. (US e-mail)

20 Mar: Accounts can no longer be matched; USDM missing mile request link no longer appears on US site.

18 Mar: Attempt to sign up for USDM directs you to AAdvantage signup.

FFP merger: stated by 11 Mar, 2015.

See: Combining our loyalty programs in 2015 on aa.com for details.

Miles and Status
  • AA and USDM accounts should be matched by 20 March 2015.
  • USDM members have all PQM / RDM merged into AAdvantage accounts on 1:1 basis. (Those without existing or matched AAdvantage accounts will be assigned new accounts.)
  • USDM elite status level based on combined EQ activity for 2014.
  • AA status for 2016 based on combined 2015 YTD AA / US elite-qualifying activity.
  • AAdvantage miles earned and redeemable on all AA, US and stipulated partner flights.
Upgrades:
  • Merged FFP, different elite benefits on AA and US for an interim.
  • AA upgrade process adopted universally "when we have a single (Sabre) reservation system" "later this year".
  • Until then, "to upgrade, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline."
Credit cards with early boarding and free domestic bag privileges
  • Once FFPs combine, one free domestic checked bag and priority boarding will apply on AA and US for those with card privileges.
USDM awards bookings
  • Dividend Miles award bookings and mileage upgrade requests will be disabled a few days before we combine programs to allow us to integrate your accounts.
Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

MODERATOR NOTE (Please do not alter.)

Q. My posts are missing! What happened?

Your posts have been moved, not deleted; please read on.[

We're trying to keep this thread super streamlined for announced and reported changes as they occur. Many of us from both sides of the "airline divide" have questions and concerns, and some of our most knowledgeable members are weighing with answers.

We've relocated questions and answers here to the JUST THE FACTS sticky thread, which has become the de facto thread for these many questions and has been slightly renamed: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...fp-2014-a.html

Questions regarding upgrades have moved to the existing thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-threads.html.

The original thread, discussing the facts of the upcoming Frequent Flyer Program merger (U S Dividend Miles into AAdvantage) as announced in October, 2014, is JUST THE FACTS: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP Oct 2014 – details & facts only. This thread deals with more recent announcements (13 March 2015) relating to timelines and related changes (expected to take place in "under thirty days").

We've been discussing these issues in several threads, but recent AA and US e-mails certainly clinch some of those discussions. The first post contains the full contents of both e-mails.

Print Wikipost

Latest merger updates: FFP merged 28 Mar. Updates, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DesertFlier
I received my merge notice today, and I am easily over a 1 million miles combined.

However, my status only says gold, until February 28, 2017.

Is the lifetime gold benefit for hitting one million miles no longer in play?
Lady JDiver is LT Platinum; there has never been a differentiator online to show whether one is a regular or lifetime statusholder, but she gets her Platinum card annually.

The only change is that AA added our lifetime miles counter to our online accounts a couple or so years ago; previously, we'd have to call to get that information, like for US.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carl
I've now received the official "Your loyalty accounts are combined" email, confirming that I'm somehow only eligible for (16) 500-mile upgrades. To explain how they were calculated, it links to what I've already read (i.e. it doesn't match with what's in print). Is there a way to contact PLT support other than using the generic aa.com form? I find the responses to anything submitted there appear to reflect that no human is reviewing them.

At least the email included my new username (not the same as US).
The criterion for 500 mile upgrades was, iirc, 10,000 miles = four "stickers " (to a maximum of 24, regardless if more miles were actually flown).

Whether they counted 10k increments prior to gaining status, which AA does not (MTEU on AA begins annually on March 1 and when one regains first status level), I dont know - but maybe the math works if they did?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by JDiver
The criterion for 500 mile upgrades was, iirc, 10,000 miles = four "stickers " (to a maximum of 24, regardless if more miles were actually flown).

Whether they counted 10k increments prior to gaining status, which AA does not (MTEU on AA begins annually on March 1 and when one regains first status level), I dont know - but maybe the math works if they did?
I think I just realized my misinterpretation of mAAth. They don't award 500-mile upgrades in increments other than four, so if I was just below 50k (excluding CC spend), I guess I would indeed get 16 rather than 19 (or rounding up to 20!). I'm still disappointed they don't count PQM from CC spend, but I get the rationale. If only I'd realized this in February, I could've taken an extra trip to bump me up to 50k. Of course, they hadn't yet told us how they would be calculating the upgrade balance for DMs transitioning to AA. At least now I have the Miles Needed to Earn Elite Upgrades counter.

Last edited by Carl; Apr 2, 2015 at 5:00 am
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:58 am
Original Poster

I think I just realized my misinterpretation of mAAth. They don't award 500-mile upgrades in increments other than four, so if I was just below 50k (excluding CC spend), I guess I would indeed get 16 rather than 19 (or rounding up to 20!). I'm still disappointed they don't count PQM from CC spend, but I get the rationale. If only I'd realized this in February, I could've taken an extra trip to bump me up to 50k. Of course, they hadn't yet told us how they would be calculating the upgrade balance for DMs transitioning to AA. At least now I have the Miles Needed to Earn Elite Upgrades counter.
Ah! Thanks for solving the mystery, Carl!

We'll hope that in 2016, AA will continue the completely and unpublished policy of providing "gap" EU / stickers (after the last day in February, end with, say, 6,000 "orphan" EQMTEU, they've usually granted two more, for example). FTers know about this, but it's very soft-peddled out there.)
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Ah! Thanks for solving the mystery, Carl!

We'll hope that in 2016, AA will continue the completely and unpublished policy of providing "gap" EU / stickers (after the last day in February, end with, say, 6,000 "orphan" EQMTEU, they've usually granted two more, for example). FTers know about this, but it's very soft-peddled out there.)
Is this something that happens automatically or do folks have to request it? I finally found a PLT phone number thanks to the AA app, but I'm still not sure how best to contact them. I am appalled at the disservice provided by filling out the website form, so I have little hope that a request like this would even be understood (much less fulfilled).
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Is this something that happens automatically or do folks have to request it? I finally found a PLT phone number thanks to the AA app, but I'm still not sure how best to contact them. I am appalled at the disservice provided by filling out the website form, so I have little hope that a request like this would even be understood (much less fulfilled).
Those many members who have been successful called and requested them.

When the time comes, a script like "I earned 6,000 miles toward electronic 500 mile upgrades, so I'd like to request two 500 mile upgrades to make up the difference. Can you help me?" or the like might be the language to use.

The website form replies are all over the place, as you know. I've had some decent responses and some with completely unrelated boilerplate that wasn't at all applicable to my situation.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:30 am

Those many members who have been successful called and requested them.

When the time comes, a script like "I earned 6,000 miles toward electronic 500 mile upgrades, so I'd like to request two 500 mile upgrades to make up the difference. Can you help me?" or the like might be the language to use.

The website form replies are all over the place, as you know. I've had some decent responses and some with completely unrelated boilerplate that wasn't at all applicable to my situation.
Thanks. I feel like I have a decent argument as they didn't disclose how they would be calculating the allocation until just a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if this lack of clarity was intentional or if they really hadn't made a decision well in advance.

Are you saying there is no way to contact an elite service center except by phone (or the awful web form)? This sounds like something from another era. With US, each elite tier had a designated email address, and it was great for many requests. Never had to include any personal info since they had my email address on file. I understand this is a different system; I'm just surprised it appears to be fairly outdated. Not only are the form responses often inappropriate, but there's so much redundant info required to even submit a basic request. And then there's the whole inability to reply.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:02 am
Suspended

Thanks. I feel like I have a decent argument as they didn't disclose how they would be calculating the allocation until just a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if this lack of clarity was intentional or if they really hadn't made a decision well in advance.

Are you saying there is no way to contact an elite service center except by phone (or the awful web form)? This sounds like something from another era. With US, each elite tier had a designated email address, and it was great for many requests. Never had to include any personal info since they had my email address on file. I understand this is a different system; I'm just surprised it appears to be fairly outdated. Not only are the form responses often inappropriate, but there's so much redundant info required to even submit a basic request. And then there's the whole inability to reply.
You call and ask for "AAdvantage Customer Service"
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I think it's due to a number of things.

Sabre (originally SABER, Semi-Automatic Business Environment) came about during a chance encounter between AA CEO C. R. Smith and IBM salesperson Blair Smith in 1953. The result was online in 1960 and was the nucleus of GDS and PSS. First means oldest, unfortunately, years later. E.g. when AA promised us SWUs awarded us would show up in our account in a few months, it took forever to kluge the code that would work - so long SWUs went from a literal 12 month longevity to "the status year awarded and the following status year" - a sop, but I like more months to use my SWUs.

AA had developed an MOU to develop an entirely new system, Jetstream. The contract ended when AA went into bankruptcy; they chose to continue with Sabre, rather than migrate to, say, Amadeus Altéa. Mr. Parker endorsed the decision and chose to migrate from HP SHARES into Saber.

So, some off-topic but very related history. We're stuck with the limitations of a legacy system, the bankruptcy's imposed limitations and leadership decisions. I'm not qualified or sufficiently knowledgeable to comment on whether that was a good idea or not; I do know I'm stuck with the results, and FlyerTalkers are pretty good at sharing what workarounds and shortcuts as may be available. (See JonNYC's post, immediately above.)

Welcome aboard.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I may need to reconsider returning to DL as a lower-level elite. It's 2015. Having to use the phone died in the 90s. Ugh. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
When I was Platinum, I was able to request, via AAdvantage Customer Service e-mail, the partial sticker credit for my dangling mileage on February 28 (that is the date when the sticker earning counter gets reset). They do read the e-mails, but it is much slower than just phoning in.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Be that as it may, still a very disappointing answer for those legacy US flyers who were used to detailed email responses within a handful of hours from the Preferred email desk.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Be that as it may, still a very disappointing answer for those legacy US flyers who were used to detailed email responses within a handful of hours from the Preferred email desk.
Thank you. I wasn't prepared to go this far back in time.

I realize I probably need to look more realistically at DL again (after all, I do live in ATL). They provide actual support via Twitter (which would always be my preference), whereas AA just likes to tweet bit.ly links (talk about old school) to their contact form. I'm sitting in the ATL Admirals Club now (talk about depressing and outdated) and pondering this whole relationship. One of the main selling points has been the cheap fares on US, and those have all increased. I wonder if they will simply be deleted after the merger (or maybe even sooner!). AA has some decent fares, but on some routes they're even more expensive than DL nonstops.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thank you, Roger and JDiver!

Appreciate the responses.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by DesertFlier
I received my merge notice today, and I am easily over a 1 million miles combined.

However, my status only says gold, until February 28, 2017.

Is the lifetime gold benefit for hitting one million miles no longer in play?
Don't know if you've checked this area yet or not: underneath your main Account Summary section (and beneath the credit card offer which makes it look like the page ends) there is a section called "Activity & Upgrades". The 3rd "button" is Million Miler. Note; the balance shown there for me does not equal my AA + US LT miles, but the status and "date acheived" is correct.

You may want to check there for confirmation of your LTG status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.