Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Skipped Over for / Lost Upgrade: "Late to Gate", Upgrades Already Processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipped Over for / Lost Upgrade: "Late to Gate", Upgrades Already Processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have to agree that this is frustrating, primarily because it's a gray area, and gate agents do not apply this policy consistently. IME, most GAs won't skip passengers in this scenario.

I'm not sure there's much recourse here, but if you did want to try to make a case to AA, I think your best argument would be using the language that AA itself puts at the bottom of the upgrade list on the app... "If your upgrade has cleared, please refresh your mobile boarding pass to see your new seat or see an agent."

The above quoted statement certainly strongly implies that you don't need to be physically present at the gate to secure your upgrade. Instead, it should be as simple as looking at your app (wherever you may be) and refreshing your boarding pass to get your newly upgraded seat assignment.

Some GAs see their flight/gate as their little fiefdom and want full control over it, so I can't say I'm surprised you were skipped, although I certainly understand your frustration.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, Priority Club PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton GLD
Possibly relevant is that in Atlanta the Admirals Club is at the T gates while the Charlotte flights leave from the old US Airways gates in terminal D, so it's a good 12-15 minute trip to get out there. I suppose it's possible that they also paged me in the club but I was between the two at the time. I have no way of knowing.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Essentially you have three options:

Go down to the gate once it opens around T-60 or shortly thereafter and wait around to clear,

Go down to the gate once it opens and ask the GA to call up to the AC if you clear (some agents won't and will want you at the gate),

Keep monitoring every minute or two on the Iphone App to see if you clear and then immediately go to the front desk at the AC to get your BP (AC will usually call the GA).

For the most part GAs will make more than one announcement before going down to the next on the list.

Better GAs will see you are an AC member and call the AC.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1)If one gets AC access via the Citi Prestige Card, would/could a GA know I was in the AC?
(2)Once in LAX, I was upgraded on my flt to LAS (I was on the cleared list); (I went to the men's room) and then approached the GA: "did you hear me call your name?"
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
My LGA agent said "Welcome to the new American" and I replied "Well I don't like it" and she replies "Neither do I".....Says it all right there
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
My LGA agent said "Welcome to the new American" and I replied "Well I don't like it" and she replies "Neither do I".....Says it all right there
How wonderful that you 2 found each-other. Relevance to thread topic?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JonNYC
How wonderful that you 2 found each-other. Relevance to thread topic?
Haha sounds like we're not alone Relevance is that my seat was totally given away which is even worse than being skipped on the UPG list.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Haha sounds like we're not alone Relevance is that my seat was totally given away which is even worse than being skipped on the UPG list.
I get it now
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nrr
(1)If one gets AC access via the Citi Prestige Card, would/could a GA know I was in the AC?
(2)Once in LAX, I was upgraded on my flt to LAS (I was on the cleared list); (I went to the men's room) and then approached the GA: "did you hear me call your name?"
The AC AAngel should have made a note in your record when you checked in. Just being an AC member is not enough, being AT the airport in the important information.

Relying upon the PA system to reach a customer is so 1900's. Granted not everyone has a cell phone, but most do and it would be in their record. Maybe AA IT needs to work a tool to allow AAgents to send text messages. Yes, they may not be immediate, but a good try.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
My friend the legacy US GA advises us their process was reliant on passengers making themselves known to the GA, and if not presumed to be no-shows earlier in the process. Not to mention they were considered seriously out of duty if they didn't get the door closed on time. To them the 10 minute rule is a covenant to them not a suggestion.

Much as I wish I still had status and club access, waltzing down to the gate at the very last minute seems to be a thing of the past.

Recent flight on old US route/aircraft out of DFW with what appeared to be a mixed-legacy gate crew. We were inside 10 minutes. The woman in the US outfit was dropping no-shows and putting standbys on. The woman in the AA outfit thought it was too early was literally taking the stand-bys off and putting the no-shows back on. Would have been hilarious if I was not one of the stand-bys.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
This is my current approach when a gate upgrade is likely.

1. At the Admirals Club, check when inbound aircraft will arrive at the gate, often around T-55
2. Confirm the flight departure time by asking AC agent if departure time looks valid (checking crew and any other notations).
3. Depart for the gate. Even if the upgrade has just been cleared and the AC agent has printed the upgraded seat before leaving the club, still go to the gate at T-45.
4. Announce name and show boarding card to GA at T-40
5. Wait until actual boarding at the gate, unless a 20+ minute delay is announced, in which case it is safe to return to the club.

The only times when I will remain at the club until T-30 are those flights when my upgrade cleared in advance and I have a printed boarding card in my hand well in advance.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've never had the GA check to make sure I was in the boarding area before processing the UPG.

They've always processed the UPG first. And once it's processed, it hits my AA app.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by fastflyer
This is my current approach when a gate upgrade is likely.

1. At the Admirals Club, check when inbound aircraft will arrive at the gate, often around T-55
2. Confirm the flight departure time by asking AC agent if departure time looks valid (checking crew and any other notations).
3. Depart for the gate. Even if the upgrade has just been cleared and the AC agent has printed the upgraded seat before leaving the club, still go to the gate at T-45.
4. Announce name and show boarding card to GA at T-40
5. Wait until actual boarding at the gate, unless a 20+ minute delay is announced, in which case it is safe to return to the club.

The only times when I will remain at the club until T-30 are those flights when my upgrade cleared in advance and I have a printed boarding card in my hand well in advance.
Seems like a lot of effort for something you shouldn't have to do.

If you are checked in for the flight on-time and are on the upgrade list, you should be upgraded regardless of where you are. Show up at T-20, you should still get the upgrade IMO.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Phasers
Seems like a lot of effort for something you shouldn't have to do.

If you are checked in for the flight on-time and are on the upgrade list, you should be upgraded regardless of where you are. Show up at T-20, you should still get the upgrade IMO.
Problem is that in the AA environment, if you want something, you need to be pro-active and monitor it, otherwise you will get skipped over. Many reports have been posted about people being skipped over because they where not at the gate when the GA started the UPG, they claimed to have called your name and did not answer so they gave it to another flyer, what about those GA that give out the J/F seats to their buddies behind your back, and you are still waiting. Way to many shenanigans going on that really makes you wonder.

I myself was a victim of one. When AA had their first 77W, I managed to get myself and my spouse upgraded to BUS at the AC. As I approached the counter upon boarding I noticed one passenger being very friendly to the GA, I boarded and my BP beep, my seat was changed to another one. Once seated, I see that the IFE on my seat was taped shut as it was broken, and I see the passenger that was friendly to the GA seating on my first upgraded seat. The GA even walked it after boarding went to the other passenger and exchanged pleasantries and waved each other good bye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.