Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Connection Questions and Help (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Connection Questions and Help (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Large Schedule Change on Award Ticket, Will AA Allow Me to Have a 4+ Hour Connection?

My brother and I bought two one-way Saver F tickets from SJC-ORD-BWI for May. We were to leave SJC at 7:40 AM and arrive BWI at 6:11 PM. There was a schedule change this weekend that now has us leaving SJC at 2 PM and not arriving BWI until 1 AM. Apparently the ORD-BWI flight that connected with the early SJC-ORD no longer exists. The rebooking options are not great: We can't use IAD or DCA as our car will be in BWI and neither of us wants the 1 AM arrival. We would be happy to take an early evening ORD-BWI flight but it means a longer than 4 hour connection. Any thoughts on whether AA would be amenable? If not we're stuck with SJC-ORD-CLT-BWI which we'd both rather avoid.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 16, 2015 at 3:42 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by CMK10
My brother and I bought two one-way Saver F tickets from SJC-ORD-BWI for May. We were to leave SJC at 7:40 AM and arrive BWI at 6:11 PM. There was a schedule change this weekend that now has us leaving SJC at 2 PM and not arriving BWI until 1 AM. Apparently the ORD-BWI flight that connected with the early SJC-ORD no longer exists. The rebooking options are not great: We can't use IAD or DCA as our car will be in BWI and neither of us wants the 1 AM arrival. We would be happy to take an early evening ORD-BWI flight but it means a longer than 4 hour connection. Any thoughts on whether AA would be amenable? If not we're stuck with SJC-ORD-CLT-BWI which we'd both rather avoid.
Very common question w/a straightforward answer: look at the flight schedules, find the flights you want and call AA and ask to be placed on those flights. It doesn't matter whether or not there is award availability. However, don't call today - wait for the weather to calm down.

Not sure exactly when you are traveling but I'd guess that the following would be ideal:

AA 1431, departs SJC 7:05 am, arrives DFW 12:34 pm
AA 1106, departs DFW 1:43 pm, arrives BWI 5:55 pm
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: Lanpass, AAdvantage
I don't like my connection time. Can I change my flights?

Bought an itinerary on aa.com, with a FRA-CLT-MIA-SCL .This is how that leg looked like in the original itinerary:

[KVS Tool 7.7.7/Diamond - Timetable/NL]
Code:
FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
SCL  Santiago De Chile Arturo Merino Benitez CL [SCEL]
SUN  04 Oct 2015 - 11 Oct 2015

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
AA/US      705     FRA   10:55     CLT   14:35     332  0   1234567     25:15       2       -   04 Oct   11 Oct
 -> AA/US  1719    CLT   18:05     MIA   20:05     EQV  0                           -       -
 -> AA/LA  7701    MIA   21:55     SCL   07:10 +1  788  0                           -       -
Apparently the FRA-CLT leg was cancelled or something happened to it, so aa automatically rebooked pax on this one:

Code:

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
AA         71      FRA   10:30     DFW   14:40     763  0   1--4-6-     26:40       2       D   05 Oct   10 Oct
 -> AA     258     DFW   16:35     MIA   20:32     738  0                           -       -
 -> AA/LA  7729    MIA   22:55     SCL   08:10 +1  788  0                           -       -

However, for reasons not worth explaining, I really need that pax to be on that specific MIA-SCL she was booked on originally and not on the DFW-SCL. Thus I called aa and asked to put the pax back on original itinerary but they told me it wasn’t available, so they agreed to change the pax on this one:

Code:

AA/US      701     FRA   13:10     PHL   16:05     332  0   1234567     23:17       2       A   01 Oct   14 Oct
 -> AA/US  2057    PHL   17:50     MIA   20:53     321  0                           B       -
 -> AA     957     MIA   22:15     SCL   07:27 +1  763  0                           -       -
I don’t like the connection time in PHL. 105 minutes for int’l to domestic isn’t enough based on what I’ve read on other threads. Unfortunately I was the one who requested that change (should have done research before requesting it). For some mysterious reason the original itinerary is available again (the first one in this post). What are the odds of AA putting the pax back on the original itinerary?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I say pretty good since it was original itinerary and you can just say the connection time isn't enough.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Lanpass, AAdvantage
But the connection time is within MCT...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:17 pm

That connection time seems fine to me for PHL, nothing to really worry about.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold
schedule change results in 10 hour connection, can I change award ticket for no cost?

I have award tix to Sri Lanka for next Feb. For the return I have seats on UL flight CMB NRT, overnight from 11:00pm to 11: 00 am, then on to LAX and MCI on JL in F. There is a 5 hour connection now.

I looked at my award tix and see a huge schedule change for UL flight now leaving at 7:15pm. This has us on the ground at NRT for 10 hours and is unacceptable. I would have never booked flights like this. Does AA have to change to a flight that is preferable? I can take the NRT ORD JL flight now. If the F seats are all gone and I go in J will AA put the excess miles back at no charge? Does AA have to try to accommodate us in F as this is the original award?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by susiesan
Does AA have to change to a flight that is preferable? I can take the NRT ORD JL flight now. If the F seats are all gone and I go in J will AA put the excess miles back at no charge? Does AA have to try to accommodate us in F as this is the original award?
No, you still have a legal connection. You can ask for a rerouting and AA may open up its own award invemtory or search for available partner inventory. If your departure time or arrival time changed much, you can demand a refund of miles without fee.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:57 pm

From 11pm back to 7:15pm is 3:45, so that would presumably convert a 5 hour connection to a 8:45 connection, not quite 10 hrs.

In any case, the previous reply is correct. If there are award seats available on your preferred flights, you can certainly change your booking at no charge as long as the end points are the same. If there are no award seats, the schedule change by UL is not a reason for JL to release additional award seats for you.

You have asked what would happen if F is not available and you fly J from NRT to ORD. Assuming this is all on a Asia 2 award, I don't believe there is any way to determine how many miles should be refunded when only a part of the trip is downgraded. In any case, it is likely that neither F nor J will be available now, so the issue is moot.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Apr 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Assuming this is all on a Asia 2 award, I don't believe there is any way to determine how many miles should be refunded when only a part of the trip is downgraded.
I believe that unless Sri Lankan has started offering a First product, it would currently be the JL leg that is the highest common denominator to which the trip is priced (since AA domestic 2-class F can be part of an intl J award). Thus a downgrade of that leg would be a downgrade of the whole trip, assuming, of course as you mention, that J inventory is available.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
From 11pm back to 7:15pm is 3:45, so that would presumably convert a 5 hour connection to a 8:45 connection, not quite 10 hrs.

In any case, the previous reply is correct. If there are award seats available on your preferred flights, you can certainly change your booking at no charge as long as the end points are the same. If there are no award seats, the schedule change by UL is not a reason for JL to release additional award seats for you.

You have asked what would happen if F is not available and you fly J from NRT to ORD. Assuming this is all on a Asia 2 award, I don't believe there is any way to determine how many miles should be refunded when only a part of the trip is downgraded. In any case, it is likely that neither F nor J will be available now, so the issue is moot.
UL 454 arrives NRT at 7:00am. JL 62 departs 5:05pm. That is 10 hours. It is not right that we will have to sit in NRT for 10 hours because a Oneworld partner had a big schedule change. Other airline programs allow you to change your award if the e is a 2 hour or more time ha get on any flights.

This is an Asia 2 award and if I cannot get F on the NRT ORD flight the whole award would be in J. UL does not have first nor does the ORD MCI flight. All flight segments would be downgraded so AA should owe me my miles back, the difference between F and J.

I may also try to route from CMB on CX which I am using on the outbound. I did want to fly a different carrier on the return. I can't call AA now as I am travelling out of the country and don't have cell service. AA never even sent an email notifying me of the changes. I just happened to look at the tin online as it was quite an ordeal to get them. It took AA 4 days to ticket.

Took a look at award calendar. There is not 1 J or F seat on AA metal for the day I need, Feb. 27. Does AA open extra seats when an award gets so messed up? I suppose I could fly AA in place of F on JL if I don't have to sit around NRT for 10 hours.

Last edited by susiesan; Apr 21, 2015 at 3:35 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:38 pm

I understand now.

If J is available, a change of award level with fee waived seems like a very reasonable request, and one that AA can grant on its own (unlike, say, trying to get award inventory released on JL). That does not mean the request will be granted, but it is reasonable.

I do not think it is correct that other airlines will open up award space if there is a rescheduling of more than 2 hours. They will refund your miles, sure. They will rebook a revenue ticket. But releasing award inventory is harder. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Apr 21, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Best bet is to find flights that you'd like to switch to - contact AA and see what's possible for the specific flights you've listed. In most cases, they're very flexible. However, and this is the biggest issue, AA cannot force partners to release inventory and no amount of complaining can change that...

So - if you can route via HKG and connect onto AA's flight, that might be your easiest bet, even if CMB-HKG is in Y. If you fly any portion of your intl itinerary in F, you likely won't get any miles back. But if you have to fly in J to get flights you like, AA will likely refund the difference in mileage reward without much trouble.

I've spent 12 hours in Narita when AA was having trouble finding 777 pilots. It's not fun but there's certainly worse airports to have to spend time in...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by reeg2
Best bet is to find flights that you'd like to switch to - contact AA and see what's possible for the specific flights you've listed. In most cases, they're very flexible. However, and this is the biggest issue, AA cannot force partners to release inventory and no amount of complaining can change that...

So - if you can route via HKG and connect onto AA's flight, that might be your easiest bet, even if CMB-HKG is in Y. If you fly any portion of your intl itinerary in F, you likely won't get any miles back. But if you have to fly in J to get flights you like, AA will likely refund the difference in mileage reward wi
I've spent 12 hours in Narita when AA was having trouble finding 777 pilots. It's not fun but there's certainly worse airports to have to spend time in...
If it wasn't February I'd consider leaving the airport and going into Tokyo for a few hours. I wasn't planning on taking winter clothes s to Sri Lanka. .

Last edited by susiesan; Apr 21, 2015 at 4:50 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Do AA have any codeshares on these flights? Look for the second column for changes > 90 minutes ...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...0_80.jsp#OASC1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.