Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Long Refund Delays - 2015 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Long Refund Delays - 2015 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Back in early January a flight I booked with AA gift cards was cancelled, and since no other other flight was available, I asked for a refund, which I was told would happen within 7 days. More than 7 weeks later my refund still hasn't been processed (via the online refund tracking option and when I've spoken to reservations agents on the phone). I've called three times and have been told a variety of things:

1. My refund will go back to the original gift cards.
2. New gift cards will be issued and mailed to me.
3. A travel voucher with a one-year expiration will be mailed to me.
4. My refund will be available after two "statements" have passed, even though gift cards don't have "statements."
5. There is no way for me or reservations agents to talk to the refunds department to figure out what's going on.

Frustrated, last week I filed a DOT complaint, which, apparently American has up to 30 days to acknowledge and up to 60 days to respond to with a substantive response. It's only been a week since my complaint, but no response yet.

Anyone know what's going on?

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 9, 2015 at 8:18 am Reason: Merged consecutive duplicated posts
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
A few years ago, I purchased with a (discounted) AA gift card a flight that was cancelled when Malev went under. At that time, I was told that they were unable to refund the amount to the same gift card, but a credit would remain under the existing e-ticket number for use in the future. (What they didn't tell me was that I was unable to combine that type of credit with certain other forms of payment, so that I "lost" part of the discount on the new ticket that I bought.) But the bottom line was that the e-ticket credit value was the only option that I was offered at that time.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 am

Any return of fund on an AA gift card has to be coming back as a paper transportation voucher. There is no other way to get the value back. Ignore all the talk about getting the value back on the GC. This is no such a way.

From my own case, AA refund department is extremely behind right now. I was told that they are running 90 days late. I have an early December refund that is still not processed yet.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Any return of fund on an AA gift card has to be coming back as a paper transportation voucher. There is no other way to get the value back. Ignore all the talk about getting the value back on the GC. This is no such a way.

From my own case, AA refund department is extremely behind right now. I was told that they are running 90 days late. I have an early December refund that is still not processed yet.
Was the 90 day figure for a standard back to credit card refund ?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
I've been waiting since 1/25/15

I've been waiting for a refund for about a month. I'm trying to be patient.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Same situation for me -- I requested a refund for cancelled flight that was paid for partially with AA GC and mostly with a CC. I was told I would be mailed a paper transportation voucher for the GC portion. After about two weeks the CC portion posted as a refund to my card, but I have not seen any voucher in the mail and it's been about a month.

Does anyone know if it is possible to see the status of a voucher being issued online? I can see the CC refund when I look up my eticket number, but nothing about the voucher or GC payment.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:57 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Seems like a department that is understaffed and if your cynicAAl one might think purposely. What kind of dollars do you think unprocessed refunds add up to.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by abk
Seems like a department that is understaffed and if your cynicAAl one might think purposely. What kind of dollars do you think unprocessed refunds add up to.
It's when airlines try to pull things like taking 90+ days (as one poster suggested) for refunds that they are just asking for regulation. I say submit a DOT complaint if you're having this issue. There is no excuse for something like this. Crazy.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Waiting 7+ Weeks for AA to Refund $25

I tried booking an SFO-DCA-LAX ticket via AA.com a few weeks ago- wonky as AA.COM is with multi-city itenteraries, the fare kept jumping up when I tried to complete my transaction (would display one fare with taxes and fees included, display another completely different fare class on the next page).

I call the Platinum desk and they complete the transaction for me, but then I notice on my credit card statement I get hit with a telephone ticketing fee. I ask AA for a refund of this fee since it was website error (fare was displaying available on quite a few other sites and was honored by the agent), but they told me I'd have to submit a refund request.

I submitted the refund request over eight weeks ago and no one has provided an update besides "We're still reviewing". At this point, I've disputed the charge with my CC company in hopes of getting it taken care of but is it normal to wait this long to deal for a refund? Or even get an e-mail saying sorry, but no? I was shocked the Platinum desk can't do anything, even check the status....
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I had some refund issues with AA over the last couple of weeks as well. My wife and I originally booked CX J award JFK HKG MLE HKG JFK. Paid $53 each in taxes as fees. After ticketing 2 seats in F opened on JFK HKG. Called and changed. $53 refunded and charged $112 each in taxes as fees. Reason for jump was an increase in MLE tax and that AA began collecting HKG tax. Fast forward to January. Night before we are supposed to fly J HKG JFK, two F seats open on another flight. Called. Made change and charged another $56 in taxes and fees. No refund requested by agent for taxes on original J ticket HKG JFK.

I thought this seemed incorrect and requested an explanation of differential. Refund processed for $17.50. Still didn't make sense. Called numerous times and no one could explain tax differences. Some "Priority request" submitted and was ignored. On my last call I was told refund department would not explain tax differences. I had wasted too much time fighting over $39 so just disputed charge. Amex jut wrote it off. I would just dispute it.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I've had similar issue with a $700 ticket I cancelled well within 24 hours... 6 weeks and counting
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:26 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I had this issue also and chased them for weeks.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on the CC issuer, they may just write off $25 But, remember that here this is not about a refund to which you are entitled being delayed. It is about a delay in making a decision as to whether you are entitled to a refund.

Generally speaking, a very bad idea to dispute such items.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
$520 for 4 award tickets and I waited 5 months. Honestly lost track of it for a few months of the 5.

Finally got an ExPlat supervisor to send them an email and got the refund within 3 business days.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
Depending on the CC issuer, they may just write off $25 But, remember that here this is not about a refund to which you are entitled being delayed. It is about a delay in making a decision as to whether you are entitled to a refund.

Generally speaking, a very bad idea to dispute such items.
Curious, why would you think it's a bad idea? I look at is as one of the benefits of using a credit card- to protect the consumer when trying to resolve the issue in good faith with the merchant hasn't worked.

I can see it being a bad idea if you jump to disputing the charge every time something goes wrong, but they've had over a month and won't even get someone to respond....

Last edited by malexander131; Mar 10, 2015 at 10:17 am Reason: rephrased

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.