Search

Upgrade Strategy For Soon To Be PLT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Upgrade Strategy For Soon To Be PLT

On March 1 my world will come to an end as I will fall from EXP to PLT (relocation last year and looking for new job cramped travel). Since I have nearly 500K RDM miles and not redeeming anytime soon, for longer flights over 1K miles would it make sense just to do a co-pay and 15K miles as opposed to trying to sticker upgrade (actually would be cheaper cash wise too).

Also today I am at about 18.4K EQM miles. When I cross over the 20K EQM on Sunday as a newly minted PLT will I earn 4 stickers? Or will I need to wait until 30K EQM miles.

I've have signed up for an EXP challenge (2K5EQP in 90 days) as of 2/28 so hopefully I will be back on top soon, or at worst, later this year. In the mean time, I guess I can be consoled with MCE.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
On March 1 my world will come to an end as I will fall from EXP to PLT (relocation last year and looking for new job cramped travel). Since I have nearly 500K RDM miles and not redeeming anytime soon, for longer flights over 1K miles would it make sense just to do a co-pay and 15K miles as opposed to trying to sticker upgrade (actually would be cheaper cash wise too).

Also today I am at about 18.4K EQM miles. When I cross over the 20K EQM on Sunday as a newly minted PLT will I earn 4 stickers? Or will I need to wait until 30K EQM miles.

I've have signed up for an EXP challenge (2K5EQP in 90 days) as of 2/28 so hopefully I will be back on top soon, or at worst, later this year. In the mean time, I guess I can be consoled with MCE.
I'm unclear how you will be Platinum crossing a 20,000 mile threshold. But in any case, one only begins to earn miles toward "domestic" upgrades after they earn status (cross statusvthreshold + fly 10,000 miles, earn 4 "stickers").
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
I've never been EXP, so can't comment on your question about stickers at 20k miles.

I can give you my data point, as a longtime PLT, that sticker upgrades have become a lot harder to get the last year or so. I've done miles/copay upgrades a few times last minute, when I could tell the sticker u/g wasn't gonna happen. My routine hasn't changed at all, usually purchase tix at least two months in advance, and look for less desirable flight times to maximize u/g chances. So yeah, I'd probably be looking at miles/copay in your situation, if it's important to be up in the pointy end.

F has become so reasonable lately, a lot of times I'm just going ahead and paying for it. I'm fairly sure this is a reason for sticker u/gs being harder to clear.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
I've never been EXP, so can't comment on your question about stickers at 20k miles.

I can give you my data point, as a longtime PLT, that sticker upgrades have become a lot harder to get the last year or so. I've done miles/copay upgrades a few times last minute, when I could tell the sticker u/g wasn't gonna happen. My routine hasn't changed at all, usually purchase tix at least two months in advance, and look for less desirable flight times to maximize u/g chances. So yeah, I'd probably be looking at miles/copay in your situation, if it's important to be up in the pointy end.

F has become so reasonable lately, a lot of times I'm just going ahead and paying for it. I'm fairly sure this is a reason for sticker u/gs being harder to clear.
EXP do not earn "stickers".

I do agree if up front is valued, miles plus copay trumps sitting and hoping.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm unclear how you will be Platinum crossing a 20,000 mile threshold. But in any case, one only begins to earn miles toward "domestic" upgrades after they earn status (cross statusvthreshold + fly 10,000 miles, earn 4 "stickers").
Ok, if you are PLT as of 1.1.2015 as I understand (haven't been PLT since 2007) once you hit the 10KEQM mark, 4 stickers, 20KEQM another 4, etc. However, if you fall back as of 3.1 when do you receive your first round of stickers? So if you are 18.5EQM YTD do your get 4 stickers when you hit 20KEQMs? In other words, when I hit that 20KEQM I will be PLT not EXP.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:50 pm

Ok, if you are PLT as of 1.1.2015 as I understand (haven't been PLT since 2007) once you hit the 10KEQM mark, 4 stickers, 20KEQM another 4, etc. However, if you fall back as of 3.1 when do you receive your first round of stickers? So if you are 18.5EQM YTD do your get 4 stickers when you hit 20KEQMs? In other words, when I hit that 20KEQM I will be PLT not EXP.
If you lose status March 1 you won't earn MTEU until you regain status, and then after you earn 10,000 EQ 10,000 miles.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I'm unclear how you will be Platinum crossing a 20,000 mile threshold..
I'm guessing LT PLT status ....
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

If you lose status March 1 you won't earn MTEU until you regain status, and then after you earn 10,000 EQ 10,000 miles.
I have not lost status but flew only enough in 2014 to qualify for PLT status. I just got my PLT kit in the mail today. So when does the 10KEQM for 4 stickers kick in. Do I need to actually fly 50KEQMs in 2015 before stickers are earned?

Its just seems to me for someone that has a horde of miles with no immediate use paying a $75 co pay on anything over 1K miles (or what would be $90+ in stickers) makes sense, particularly as I would clear ahead of a sticker upgrade.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:00 pm

Out of curiosity, was this a targeted challenge?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave_261
Out of curiosity, was this a targeted challenge?
As I have said and I believe others in the past have reported, obtain 25KEQPs (not EQMS) in a 90 day period. However, I am not certain everyone would be offered this option.

Also, my memory of PLT days is coming back. The EQMs for stickers does not start to kick in until 3.1.. So essentially from 3.1 on I need to fly 10KEQM for the 4 stickers.

Last edited by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George; Feb 24, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
I have not lost status but flew only enough in 2014 to qualify for PLT status. I just got my PLT kit in the mail today. So when does the 10KEQM for 4 stickers kick in. Do I need to actually fly 50KEQMs in 2015 before stickers are earned?
IIRC, there used to be a mileage counter on your "View Your Miles" section on the AA website for sticker upgrades once you land at Platinum or gold (3/1) - once you hit 10k miles, you'd get the 4 stickers...

It's been over 10 yrs since I've been at platinum, so unsure if they still show this on your profile...

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Feb 24, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was a multi-year PLT before making EXP for the very first time at the end of 2014. As a PLT, I averaged 83% success on sticker upgrades over the years I've actively tracked such things. Last year was 85% for the year.

My upgrade strategy was simple: try to get on flights during the middle of the day, or late night, rather than early morning or late afternoon/early evening. The fares are lower, and there are more leisure travelers and less frequent flyers.

When flying elite-heavy or paid-F routes, especially long-haul or trans-con, decide whether a miles upgrade is worth it to you, or if you're willing to take a chance on stickers. My success rate with stickers on those routes was around 60%, with significant variations based on origin/destination/season.

As to earning stickers, it's all based on calendar year, so you should be getting 4 stickers for every 10k EQM this year. Plus, you can trade in your miles for stickers.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:12 pm

As I have said and I believe others in the past have reported, obtain 25KEQPs (not EQMS) in a 90 day period. However, I am not certain everyone would be offered this option.

Also, my memory of PLT days is coming back. The EQMs for stickers does not start to kick in until 3.1.. So essentially from 3.1 on I need to fly 10KEQM for the 4 stickers.
That is the correct answer. 1 Mar + existing status + 10,000 EQM = 4 new stickers. Rinse, dry and repeat.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
I'm unclear how you will be Platinum crossing a 20,000 mile threshold.
I'm guessing ...
For calendar year 2014, OP held EP status. During 2014 OP only flew enough to satisfy Plat requirements. EP status stays current until end of this month, when OP becomes Plat. Since 1/1/15 OP has earned almost 20,000 EQM.

OP's question is whether the counter towards his first stickers started with his EQP/EQM/segment reset on 1/1 or whether it will start on 3/1 when he changes from EP to Plat. I can't remember what happened when I fell to Plat (it was back in the soft landing days), but I would assume the latter.

Edited to add: Too slow in my reply, but it seems my assumption about the earning for stickers starts on 3/1 was right.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Alan in CBR
I'm guessing ...
For calendar year 2014, OP held EP status. During 2014 OP only flew enough to satisfy Plat requirements. EP status stays current until end of this month, when OP becomes Plat. Since 1/1/15 OP has earned almost 20,000 EQM.

OP's question is whether the counter towards his first stickers started with his EQP/EQM/segment reset on 1/1 or whether it will start on 3/1 when he changes from EP to Plat. I can't remember what happened when I fell to Plat (it was back in the soft landing days), but I would assume the latter.

Edited to add: Too slow in my reply, but it seems my assumption about the earning for stickers starts on 3/1 was right.
It matters not except for one having stats, Gold or Platinum, that status year. The 1 March dare resets the sticker meter, and with status a new 10k countdown begins, as you assume.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.