Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2016)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to editing (strikethrough) or deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

As well, note Expanded Access to Flagship Lounge Coming "in Spring 2017"

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 20-5, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in Mexico), and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

On September 1, 2012, access to the Admirals Club® and Flagship Lounge® changed for customers traveling on an American Airlines certain non-stop transcontinental flight.

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
(Note that "in 2017" does not mean "starting January 1 2017". We have been informed that "we don't have a specific date yet.")

All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: US Airways Clubs have been rebranded as Admirals Clubs; full consolidation has occurred. Some Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ends July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014, so this has added the oneworld Business and Qantas First lounges at the TBIT international terminal for passengers departing TBIT; the Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge, and Alaska Airlines Board Room to the scope of lounges one might access (depending on status or class of service eligibility).

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard, created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● FT Help Desk: Lounge Access and Lounge Access Rules [ARCHIVED]

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I understand the rules, but has anyone tried in practice?

If the EY flight had an AA number on the ticket, would it matter?

Would be great to hear from someone who either had an AA booked ticket and tried or had an AA booked ticket using EY as a codeshare and tried to access AC or FL.
You might be allowed, but it would contravene the rules - which indicate oneworld operated and marketed. AA marketed is insufficient.

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

...customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 25, 2016 at 3:34 pm
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You might be allowed, but it would contravene the rules - which indicate oneworld operated and marketed. AA marketed is insufficient.
As I stated, I understand the rules as written... has anyone tried it with success or failure?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
Upcoming trip in paid Business class.....Wondering if I have access to Flagship in LAX??? (I know I do at JFK)

Explat leaving LAX at 1130pm on a redeye to JFK arriving at 8am then onto Colombia the same day.....Technically if I arrive at 9pm for my flight it will already be 12am on the east coast LOL(the day that I travel internationally) so just wondering if I will have access in LAX

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
Upcoming trip in paid Business class.....Wondering if I have access to Flagship in LAX??? (I know I do at JFK)

Explat leaving LAX at 1130pm on a redeye to JFK arriving at 8am then onto Colombia the same day.....Technically if I arrive at 9pm for my flight it will already be 12am on the east coast LOL(the day that I travel internationally) so just wondering if I will have access in LAX

Thanks in advance for the help!
You have access as:

An AAdvantage® Executive Platinum member (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international* flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline.

*Qualifying international cities include flights to or from Europe, Asia, Central and South America, Australia and Mexico City only. All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
You have access as:
Thats what I thought as well but have received some pushback recently when trying to do something similar but my last time I left at 6am from lax and didn't leave internationally until next day at 9am same itinerary...
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
Thats what I thought as well but have received some pushback recently when trying to do something similar but my last time I left at 6am from lax and didn't leave internationally until next day at 9am same itinerary...
I believe that's based on class of service flown, though I could be wrong. You're connecting to a qualifying international flight, and I'd assume that, particularly if on the same PNR, they should allow it. The "same day itinerary" sections are the ones that apply to 6 am the following day, I believe. Good luck.

We offer complimentary access if you are:
  • Traveling First Class on an American Airlines marketed and operated international* flight. Lounge access is also valid on a same-day itinerary that includes a qualifying international segment
  • Traveling First Class on an American Airlines marketed and operated three-class nonstop transcontinental flight. Lounge access is also valid on a same-day itinerary that includes a qualifying transcontinental segment
  • An American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum customer departing on or connecting to an international* flight, operated and marketed by a oneworld® airline, regardless of cabin flown
  • A oneworld First Class international* customer departing on or connecting to a oneworld marketed and operated flight
  • A oneworld Emerald customer** departing on or connecting to any oneworld marketed and operated flight, regardless of cabin flown. Access is valid on a same day itinerary
*For the purpose of Flagship Lounge access, eligible international cities include flights traveling to or from Europe, Asia, Central and South America and Mexico City only. All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit

**American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum/Emerald customers traveling on solely North American itineraries do not qualify for Flagship Lounge access. North America is defined as U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean
Customers traveling on airline industry non-revenue tickets are not eligible for access[/quote]

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 27, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:26 pm

I believe that's based on class of service flown, though I could be wrong. You're connecting to a qualifying international flight, and I'd assume that, particularly if on the same PNR, they should allow it. The "same day itinerary" sections are the ones that apply to 6 am the following day, I believe. Good luck.

Customers traveling on airline industry non-revenue tickets are not eligible for access
[/QUOTE]

I am hoping so, just called in and they told me no but hoping I can talk to them and it not be an issue since it is on same PNR and only 3 hour layover before going international. I will report back with how it went, thanks again!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Any lounge access on this itinerary.

I don't think I get anything on the outbound from Seattle...but what about the next morning on the way to Mexico from DFW?

Or the return during our connection at DFW?

SEA-DFW First AA

Overnight in Dallas

DFW-BJX (Leon, Mexico) Business AA

QRO (Queretaro, Mexico)-DFW Business American Eagle

DFW- SEA First AA
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by david4455
I don't think I get anything on the outbound from Seattle...but what about the next morning on the way to Mexico from DFW?

SEA-DFW First AA

Overnight in Dallas

DFW- SEA First AA
Since you do not have Mexico City (MEX) in your itinerary then no AAdvantage Status or Class of service based access is available.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:35 pm

SEA-DFW First AA

Overnight in Dallas

DFW- SEA First AA
Must have MEX / Mexico, D.F. in there; neither León nor Queretaro will suffice.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

SEA-DFW First AA

Overnight in Dallas

DFW- SEA First AA
I believe that none is eligible for lounge access based on class of service. Mexico City is the only Mexico airport where lounge access is granted for travel to/from Mexico

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...nge-access.jsp

Originally Posted by AA
Lounge access is not available if you’re traveling on American Airlines solely within the United States or between the United States and the Caribbean, Canada, or Mexico (except Mexico City).
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:13 am

Departing from DUB on AA in economy, BA silver with companion. Does AA use the DAA lounge or the EI lounge and so they grant access to oneworld FF or only their J passengers?

Thanks
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Departing from DUB on AA in economy, BA silver with companion. Does AA use the DAA lounge or the EI lounge and so they grant access to oneworld FF or only their J passengers?
You'll have access to the illustrious DAA lounge prior to departure. Leave enough time for pre-clearance, of course.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Hi all, I've tried to scan through here to see if this question has been answered, doesn't seem to have been, so here goes: I'm EXP arriving on an international flight, connecting to domestic. All of the access language only mentions connecting to an international flight, nothing about from. Will I have FL access? For example, SCL-DFW-LAX-ORD-DEN, can I get into the FLs in LAX and ORD?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by zpaul
Hi all, I've tried to scan through here to see if this question has been answered, doesn't seem to have been, so here goes: I'm EXP arriving on an international flight, connecting to domestic. All of the access language only mentions connecting to an international flight, nothing about from. Will I have FL access? For example, SCL-DFW-LAX-ORD-DEN, can I get into the FLs in LAX and ORD?
The rules are clear about this situation when accessing based on class of service, but not so clear when your access is based on status. I've never had a problem using the FL in situations like this, I think you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.