extenuating circumstances refund?

Old Feb 18, 15, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond

hi folks, I posted a long thread over in Omni and dont know how to link it here--but long story short, Sunday we were told our company was closing, and by the ay no final paycheck and not getting our latest expenses paid. I had booked 2 work flights last week.
I called us air CP line and they told me to email aa.com customer service, who wrote back that they were non refundable tickets and they could not consider refunding me.
You AA/US experts, I was hoping you might have advice for me, because I most certainly do not have that $1500 available right now-
My question is centered around who I could contact at the airlines who might have some sympathy, lol.
Thank You!
Old Feb 18, 15, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
First off, sorry for the job loss and having to go through this added stress.

When are the trips? Hopefully they are far enough in the future that there might be a schedule change you can take advantage of to be able to cancel the itins. As a last resort, you can always pay the reissue fee and use the remaining credits for leisure trips.
Old Feb 18, 15, 8:10 am
Original Poster

yeah, they are each in a week or 2......so yeah, I can always pay the $200 fee and use them, but it was the unreimbursed expense of them that has me bummed out. a lot of $ when you have not gotten your last paycheck as well....
I thought maybe as a CP I would get some consideration.....
Old Feb 18, 15, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Quite often the first response from AA is not their final word, unless you accept it (most often for me the first response is not even related to the request). If it was me, I would write a letter to AA, include any documentation you can about the company walking away from its obligations and you being stuck in the middle. If they again say no, you are no worse off.

Good luck getting this resolved.
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:10 am

I think you need to consult an attorney about the failure to get your last pay check. There are protections in place to prevent a company from just closing its doors and keeping your pay and expenses owed.

As a last resort you could potentially file an involuntary chapter 11 against your former owner so long as you find 2 other creditors. I'd consult a lawyer.

In addition, you need to make sure all withholding taxes have been paid by your employer and that any tax reporting information sent to the IRS is reflective of the failure to get your last pay check.

Don't just sit back and let the former owner just close the doors and hang you out to dry. There are responsibilities that owners take when they hire employees.
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I think to be able to better advise you, it might be useful if you tell members on which airline's ticket stock these tickets were written on? Did you buy AA or US tickets? As both airlines currently have their own, separate policies, it might be helpful to know.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 18, 15 at 4:44 pm
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

last friday I booked them on us air--called CP line, was told to email aa, which I did and got standard response that they were very sorry but I booked non refundable tickets.
Old Feb 19, 15, 11:14 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents
File a complaint with the department of Labor, then contact your credit card and dispute the charges based on that DOL complaint.
Old Feb 19, 15, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annerk View Post
File a complaint with the department of Labor, then contact your credit card and dispute the charges based on that DOL complaint.

interesting--I have a note on my calendar when I am offically allowed to call DOL, and I have disputed the charges--I dont hold out much hope, but I really appreciate this advice!!
Old Feb 19, 15, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by Annerk View Post
I'm not sure why some people on FT seem to always suggest "disputing the charge with your credit card company" as a possible solution. In this case, the OP has clearly been wronged and is out of pocket through absolutely no fault of his own. However, neither is it the fault of US - to whom he paid the money and who therefore would be subject to the charge-back. Imagine the tables being turned and you being the one losing money through a charge-back when you yourself did absolutely nothing wrong.
Old Feb 19, 15, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dmsdfw View Post
I'm not sure why some people on FT seem to always suggest "disputing the charge with your credit card company" as a possible solution. In this case, the OP has clearly been wronged and is out of pocket through absolutely no fault of his own. However, neither is it the fault of US - to whom he paid the money and who therefore would be subject to the charge-back. Imagine the tables being turned and you being the one losing money through a charge-back when you yourself did absolutely nothing wrong.
^ +1

This is always the risk when footing the bill for someone else. A chargeback is not appropriate. However, it is doubtful US will end up with an empty seat because of this and should consider providing a refund. Providing documentation of the situation (notice from company, news article, etc.) would help build the OPs case.
Old Feb 19, 15, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
^ +1

This is always the risk when footing the bill for someone else. A chargeback is not appropriate. However, it is doubtful US will end up with an empty seat because of this and should consider providing a refund. Providing documentation of the situation (notice from company, news article, etc.) would help build the OPs case.

First of all im a her.
Im hoping the dispute just gives me a little time (I have a $4000 credit card bill that I am not being reimbursed for) and quite honestly, a bit of a leg to stand on. If not, I pay them. I called them just 2 days after I booked them with a very legitimate story and I was hoping they would understand that Im in a really bad situation. Plus Im a CP and pretty loyal to them.
So I will pay the bill, but hoping against hope that something can give me at least some relief....
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Filing a fraudulent chargeback is a very, very bad idea. Especially when you've just lost your job and do not want anything happening which might jeopardize your access to credit (you may need it). You bought the tickets, you agreed to the fare rules and you owe the money. Whether your former employer owes you money is a different issue, but has nothing to do with AA/US.

You may also need to ask your CC issuer to forbear on collections if you are having a tough time. Attempting chargebacks -- which are expensive for the CC issuer -- is not a way to put them in a mood to help.

You also will have your "appeal" within AA fall on a lot more deaf ears when the chargeback is logged. From AA's perspective, they did nothing wrong.

First and foremost, you absolutely need to consult an attorney. As I read it, you have at least one paycheck, some other unreimbursed expenses and these two tickets at stake. I realize that times are tight, but spending a bit to preserve your rights may be critical. Some of your coworkers may be in the same situation and perhaps you can do a joint consultation.

Sounds as though your employer is in some form of bankruptcy or will be very soon. If they have shut down, their commercial creditors will force the bankruptcy anyway. You may have a priority and there may be some assets to pay you. But, that won't last long. All DOL can do is monitor to make sure that assets aren't sold until employees have been paid wages due.

ADDING: Just occured to me that your travel insurance (or your employer's, may include loss of job as part of the coverage. Check that quickly. If so, no need to do anything other than collect on these two tickets).

Last edited by Often1; Feb 19, 15 at 6:47 pm Reason: Added
Old Feb 19, 15, 9:49 pm

I don't have any advice about how to proceed, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry about your job loss and all the issues it's created. Good luck to you, and I hope things work out in all aspects.
Old Feb 19, 15, 11:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by GalleyWench View Post
I don't have any advice about how to proceed, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry about your job loss and all the issues it's created. Good luck to you, and I hope things work out in all aspects.
Agreed. Seems like the job loss caused a domino effect which you didn't deserve. I definitely wish you the best of luck.

As for US and the refund due to your job loss, they may or may not be willing to oblige and give you a refund. Which really sucks, but kind of is the nature of non-refundable fares, sadly. I do think USA-based airlines really should consider adding a provision for job loss to be an eligible reason for a full refund of a non-refundable fare, though, especially in this economy. That, or at the very least, a flexible change in when the original ticket will be reissued, contingent on proof of the job loss. That's my opinion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: