Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
(LAA) 777-300ER / "77W" Experiences & Questions AA 137 / AA 138 DFW-HKG-DFW
NOTE: Changing to AA 125 and 126 Nov 2016

(with thanks to Dr. HFH for starting this thread)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
There's a thread for upgrade experiences on these flights, but none for experiences actually taking these flights, so I thought that I'd start one. These are arguably AA's premier flights right now, -- longest route, new aircraft, etc. So share your onboard experiences here, good, bad and otherwise!!
Discussion about the DFW-HKG route is here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]
Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Not to make any excuses, but I don't recall how long the DFW crew has in HKG before they do the return flight.
They spend two nights in Hong Kong.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Majuki
They spend two nights in Hong Kong.
I guess that means two consecutive mornings of waking up on the wrong side of the bed?

I shouldn't be so harsh, but this is not the first time I've experienced contemptuous, hostile service on this route.

A few times, the service has been excellent.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Not to make any excuses, but I don't recall how long the DFW crew has in HKG before they do the return flight. If it's only ~18 hours to catch the next days flight back, I'd get grumpy after awhile

The LAX-HKG crew has it nice. Arrive early in the morning in HKG, then have almost 36 hours before departing back. Allows for real sightseeing, dinner, lunches etc. while in Hong Kong.
Many of us have to work long hours but customer is why you have a job !
You can not take out your frustration on your real employer !! I sometimes
really wonder how American Airline companies can get away with this
level of service....
ConciergeBrandon likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyalways
You can not take out your frustration on your real employer !! I sometimes
really wonder how American Airline companies can get away with this
level of service....
Did I not mention that I was not making any excuses?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:18 pm

Did I not mention that I was not making any excuses?
Yes...but then you went ahead and made one about not having enough
time to turn around. That may or may not be legitimate excuse but again
not relevant to customer...That was my point !
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyalways
Who??
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Who??
Everyone...No customer..no job 😀
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:45 pm

Question

Has anyone been on AA125 DFW-HKG in F lately? How was the service?
Wonder if it is worth the extra 40k miles to upgrade.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
Has anyone been on AA125 DFW-HKG in F lately? How was the service?
Wonder if it is worth the extra 40k miles to upgrade.
Have flown round trip in F in the past couple of weeks. Service is fine - better than in J. I've been flying this route in F and J for the last couple of years and am happy with both classes of service. For me the biggest advantage of F is the improved width of the seat (especially at the shoulders when sitting up) and the larger work space.

As to whether it is worth the extra miles, that is one I cannot answer for you. I have been using SWUs and will continue to do so.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:14 pm

Thank you, DevilDawg1960.

Can two people dine together face to face in AA F single window seat? (Like in CX F.)

Also, flying AA125 F DFW-HKG, what other lounges one may use besides Admirals Club? (only Platinum)
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott

Can two people dine together face to face in AA F single window seat? (Like in CX F.)
No, but you can rotate the seats on the middle seat pairs to face each other.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Yes, somebody can occupy the ottoman seat (directly in front of the LCD monitor) to dine with the main passenger assigned to the window seat. A seatbelt is provided on the ottoman for this purpose. However, as noted, it is easier to choose the middle seat pairs so you simply can rotate both seats to face inward and thus face each other.

Also, flying AA125 F DFW-HKG, what other lounges one may use besides Admirals Club? (only Platinum)

You also can use International First Class Dining (the temporary solution at DFW D club only) until the Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining offerings open. Simply show your boarding pass downstairs at the Admirals Club check-in desk, and you will be given a special black card granting access to the International First Class Dining area. It's not really a lounge, just a dining room with free food and some drinks. Most of the time, I pop in there to grab a quick bite and then return to the main lounge which is more spacious and has great views.

In addition, if you have PriorityPass, you can use one of the contract lounges in terminal D (follow the "Other Airline Lounges" signs) to the entry lobby, as well as one hour at the Minute Suites.

And finally, if you have AMEX Platinum or Centurion, you can use the Centurion Lounge in D, but brace yourself for very crowded conditions...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:21 pm

Thanks, Majuki and Espen36 for the helpful advice.
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, somebody can occupy the ottoman seat (directly in front of the LCD monitor) to dine with the main passenger assigned to the window seat. A seatbelt is provided on the ottoman for this purpose. However, as noted, it is easier to choose the middle seat pairs so you simply can rotate both seats to face inward and thus face each other.
My travelling partner and I have chosen window seats 1A and 1J. Just checked, 2 D,G are still available. Should we change?

You also can use International First Class Dining (the temporary solution at DFW D club only) until the Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining offerings open. Simply show your boarding pass downstairs at the Admirals Club check-in desk, and you will be given a special black card granting access to the International First Class Dining area. It's not really a lounge, just a dining room with free food and some drinks. Most of the time, I pop in there to grab a quick bite and then return to the main lounge which is more spacious and has great views.

In addition, if you have PriorityPass, you can use one of the contract lounges in terminal D (follow the "Other Airline Lounges" signs) to the entry lobby, as well as one hour at the Minute Suites.

And finally, if you have AMEX Platinum or Centurion, you can use the Centurion Lounge in D, but brace yourself for very crowded conditions...
I have AMEX Plat and Priority Pass. However, considering that the flight departs at 10:35a.m., we will just use one of the above as we wait (can't wait ) to board. Question is, wihich one?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Thanks, Majuki and Espen36 for the helpful advice.

My travelling partner and I have chosen window seats 1A and 1J. Just checked, 2 D,G are still available. Should we change?

I have AMEX Plat and Priority Pass. However, considering that the flight departs at 10:35a.m., we will just use one of the above as we wait (can't wait ) to board. Question is, wihich one?
2 D&G are great seats for a couple traveling together.

DFW Centurion Lounge is in Terminal D, near the AA lounge. After going through security, I'd head to the Centurion Lounge and have a proper breakfast. If you have time, amble over to the AA International First Class Dining, grab a glass of champagne, then enjoy the tarmac views from the AC main lounge.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
2 D&G are great seats for a couple traveling together.
DFW Centurion Lounge is in Terminal D, near the AA lounge. After going through security, I'd head to the Centurion Lounge and have a proper breakfast. If you have time, amble over to the AA International First Class Dining, grab a glass of champagne, then enjoy the tarmac views from the AC main lounge.
Thanks, jcatman.

Travelling companion and I are best friends, not a couple
This is her very first time to Hong Kong. I am thinking, in a window seat, she will be awed by the view approaching Hong Kong before landing, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.