FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Account audit / fraud issues - Busted selling miles / SWU / VIP, etc (consol (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1650237-archive-account-audit-fraud-issues-busted-selling-miles-swu-vip-etc-consol.html)

Objective Traveler May 3, 2007 10:18 am

ARCHIVE: Account audit / fraud issues - Busted selling miles / SWU / VIP, etc (consol

I have a friend who recently got caught selling AA miles. He is Exec Plat.

What happens to you when caught? What do they do? Should you throw yourself at their mercy?

I don't have all the facts, but I think his hand was clearly in the cookie jar.

mwhitted May 3, 2007 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Objective Traveler (Post 7681344)
I have a friend who recently got caught selling AA miles. He is Exec Plat.

What happens to you when caught? What do they do? Should you throw yourself at their mercy?

I don't have all the facts, but I think his hand was clearly in the cookie jar.

Correction: He WAS Exec Plat.

LondonToLA May 3, 2007 10:22 am

Someone I know was busted selling UA miles as a Prem Exec. They cancelled all reservations booked with those miles and they left him with a negative 150,000 mile balance in his account AND dropped him to the general member level. They allowed him to remain a Mileage Plus member though. Sux, but honestly, he deserved it.

JonNYC May 3, 2007 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mwhitted (Post 7681355)

It's catchy-- but not accurate in the least.

To the OP-- trust me -- and don't listen to anyone who says other than this:

Yes, your friend should cooperate with AA in every way. Be completely honest, promise never to do it again, give them all info they need and vow to be a loyal customer and a straight-shooter from here on out.

If there was a broker involved, your friend will have to make some decisions-- hard ones maybe-- but he should be completely 100% forthright with AAdvantage and he'll get through this (assuming it's his first time (in the eyes of AAdvantage, more importantly)) without much damage.

If it's not his first time, he's toast.

andrzej May 3, 2007 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mwhitted (Post 7681355)

I'm not so sure that a blank statement like this can be made. I'm not disputing the fact that it can happen, but AA bean counters are very powerful in instances like this. Depending on his spending history they may allow him to keep his status, but definitely there will be some punishment coming down. It may be the miles in the bank, it may be the lifetime miles or as you said, it may be good bye to the status.

To the OP, please report back.....

Good luck to your friend!

bdemaria May 3, 2007 10:29 am

from aa.com

"The sale, barter, gift or assignment by Members of AAdvantage Miles, mileage awards or other benefits is expressly prohibited. All Miles purchased under the buyAAmiles or giftAAmiles programs are non-refundable. All transfer fees for Miles transferred using the shareAAmiles program are non-refundable.

Any improper usage or misuse of AAdvantage Miles shall be grounds for immediate confiscation and forfeiture of such Miles, and may be grounds for the forfeiture of all Miles in the Member's account and the Member's ejection from the AAdvantage Program."

Somehow I think asking for mercy will be too little too late, although the term "may" implies a little bit of negotiating possibility

mwhitted May 3, 2007 10:31 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 7681378)
It's catchy-- but not accurate in the least....

Symantics: Maybe not ENTIRELY accurate, but I wouldn't say "in the least". I think he'd be very lucky to keep his elite status. But it COULD happen I guess.

JonNYC May 3, 2007 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mwhitted (Post 7681408)
Symantics: Maybe not ENTIRELY accurate, but I wouldn't say "in the least". I think he'd be very lucky to keep his elite status. But it COULD happen I guess.

The difference is, I actually know of many cases-- including quite a few FTers whom I've assisted with this exact situation-- and I actually am talking completely factually-- not in catch-phrases, conjecture, bombast, hearsay and aa.com quotes.

In other words, real-life, factual, experience-based info which the OP will benefit from. Your statement is not accurate-- in the least. But feel free to stand by it if that's your preference. :)

jrhone May 3, 2007 10:45 am

Be intresting to hear how he was found out , and what they will do to him.

Not my department so I have no clue what will happen.

CAL PHL FLYER May 3, 2007 10:48 am

The airline will close his account and all miles will be forfited..Also,the airline may sue your friend.@:-)

FWAAA May 3, 2007 10:51 am

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER (Post 7681495)
The airline will close his account and all miles will be forfited..Also,the airline may sue your friend.@:-)

I heard that the offenders are skinned alive and fed to the lions at HQ.

andrzej May 3, 2007 10:54 am

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER (Post 7681495)

Interesting post coming after some of the above posts that actually witnessed or knew somebody in similar cases.

Care to elaborate?

Know something that the rest of us don't?

Any experience?

Just curious.......

jrhone May 3, 2007 10:54 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 7681510)
I heard that the offenders are skinned alive and fed to the lions at HQ.

Actually for a first time offence he will just get his house TP'd. Next time a few windows get broken, you dont want to know what happens after that.

unitedPSbusiness May 3, 2007 11:00 am

In most cases, something will happen without question. I regret to say, I have been here before. I assure you, your friend will never be selling his miles again.

My gusess on what will happen? I'm pretty sure your friend will keep his status. How many miles did he sell? Because I feel that amount will seized from his account as a penalty.

Where did your friend sell miles?

sithjedi333 May 3, 2007 11:08 am

Thanks for sharing your story. Please keep us updated!