Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Account audit / fraud issues - Busted selling miles / SWU / VIP, etc (consol

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Account audit / fraud issues - Busted selling miles / SWU / VIP, etc (consol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I got a account audit on my account as I used the same card amongst 3 of my family accounts. Got a email from AA and answered all their questions, got a follow up email with more questions which were also answered. Heard nothing from AA for over 6 months and a couple of weeks ago I tried to redeem an award but was advised by AA that my account was in audit state still and needs to be unlocked. They would send a email to that department.

Been a week and the flights I had on hold have had the time limit expire, managed to get the same ones on hold but the time limit expires again today. When I speak with AA reservations that advise that they have emailed that respective dept and are waiting to hear back from them.

Any suggestions? Its been 2 weeks now!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:36 am

I used the same card amongst 3 of my family accounts
Do you mean you used the same account number for 3 people?
Heard nothing from AA for over 6 months
Its been 2 weeks now!
Has it been locked for 6 months?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As often seems to happen with these cases, we need a lot more information...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Do you mean you used the same account number for 3 people?

Has it been locked for 6 months?
I used my credit card on my wives, sons and my account to redeem for us. I think they must have seen same card number on 3 different accounts and suspected broker activity.

To be honest I never heard back from them after I replied to their second email which asked about the card number used and name/address of the person who is travelling. It was more like a generic email then something targeted after I explained to them in the first email. The ticket that was booked was ok to fly but we could not fly that once so cancelled it two weeks back and rebooked new one which is still not issued.

The account wasn't locked I could still get into it.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
As often seems to happen with these cases, we need a lot more information...
Happy to provide. What would you like. Would appreciate your advise as I don't know what to do.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh the reason why they must have suspected is that my wives account was still in her maiden name. I sent the audit dept proof and they have updated the name on her account.

I thought all was resolved as I didn't hear back from them since then.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I used my credit card on my wives, sons and my account to redeem for us. I think they must have seen same card number on 3 different accounts and suspected broker activity.

To be honest I never heard back from them after I replied to their second email which asked about the card number used and name/address of the person who is travelling. It was more like a generic email then something targeted after I explained to them in the first email. The ticket that was booked was ok to fly but we could not fly that once so cancelled it two weeks back and rebooked new one which is still not issued.

The account wasn't locked I could still get into it.
A credit card? Struggling to figure out why AA Corporate Security would lock your AAdvantage account over a credit card. They lock your AAdvantage account when they suspect you have done something to violate the Ts & Cs of the AAdvantage program, i.e., selling or bartering your miles, or using an AA credit card to earn miles in an improper way (making purchases to earn miles and then returning the purchases), etc.

Are we getting the full "story" here? They don't lock accounts for 6 months on a whim.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krlcomm
A credit card? Struggling to figure out why AA Corporate Security would lock your AAdvantage account over a credit card. They lock your AAdvantage account when they suspect you have done something to violate the Ts & Cs of the AAdvantage program, i.e., selling or bartering your miles, or using an AA credit card to earn miles in an improper way (making purchases to earn miles and then returning the purchases), etc.

Are we getting the full "story" here? They don't lock accounts for 6 months on a whim.
Why are you guys making this such hard work!

1. This forum is NOT AA corp security and I have nothing to gain by telling you lies so you have the "full story"
2. They locked my account as the same credit card number was used against 3 different account making them suspect the accounts were sold? Why else would my card be used on a account that I am not named on. Once I explained them the reasons they were ok.
3. The account was not locked it simply has a remark against it to say that they need to contact corp security before any redemptions
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:03 am
Suspended

Oh the reason why they must have suspected is that my wives account was still in her maiden name. I sent the audit dept proof and they have updated the name on her account.

There's no way the maiden name thing alone would have been a red flag, nor is the one credit card being used across 3 family-members accounts be something that would be usunual or suspicious on its own. There must be something else.

As well, the end of the audit process is pretty clear, it's not overly ambiguous in most cases that they haven't found your answers satisfactory. Although it sounds like your account was in some kind of intermediate state, not fully locked, in which case, the -only- answer will come from AA.

So, I'd think a bit harder about what it was that caused this problem and if you gave them ALL the answers they were looking for.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat

I redeem miles 1-2 times a year for my wife. Her account is in her maiden name as that is the name on her passport. I use my credit card in my name, different last name, to pay the taxes/fees. We have done this for about 10 years, and no issues. Maybe it's something else?? Hope they can resolve for you quickly.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:07 am

1. This forum is NOT AA corp security and I have nothing to gain by telling you lies so you have the "full story"
2. They locked my account as the same credit card number was used against 3 different account making them suspect the accounts were sold? Why else would my card be used on a account that I am not named on. Once I explained them the reasons they were ok.
3. The account was not locked it simply has a remark against it to say that they need to contact corp security before any redemptions
(bold/red mine)

Ignore the nonsense.

OTOH - We have gotten half truths so many times, I think people get jaded.

Help me understand #2... what do you mean "used against 3 different account "? Do you mean you paid for flights on 3 different accounts with one credit card? (I do that with my Mrs. 110pgl and vice versa... but same last name. I do not believe there is anything against the rules doing that.)
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
As far as I know, when you redeem AA awards from another account, you should paid with a CC that match the information from that account.
You can pay with your own CC online, but if you call, they will tell you that a CC from the owner of that account is needed. Just a regular way to prevent that someone steal your AA miles.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, if one of the FF accounts is that of a child, how is the child supposed to pay with his/her own credit card? Also, if it's an award ticket for someone else, don't airlines sometimes ask to see the credit card used, so that the passenger's credit card should be used?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

Because I think many of us don't understand what you are trying to say. Does #2 indicate that you transferred miles from one credit card account to three different AA accounts? Or is it that you used your credit card to pay taxes for you, your wife and your sons?

When in doubt, read what JonNYC has to say. He usually has the correct answer.

Mike
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
So, I'd think a bit harder about what it was that caused this problem and if you gave them ALL the answers they were looking for.
I gave them all the answers they asked for and didn't hear back from them other than a email to confirm that they had updated the surname on my wives account. The tickets that were issued remained ok to fly. So as far as I was concerned it was a finished matter.

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Help me understand #2... what do you mean "used against 3 different account "? Do you mean you paid for flights on 3 different accounts with one credit card? (I do that with my Mrs. 110pgl and vice versa... but same last name. I do not believe there is anything against the rules doing that.)
Account 1. Mine
Account 2. My wives but under her marital name
Account 3. Sons.

Used one credit card to redeem on all three. So yes.

Originally Posted by mikeef
Because I think many of us don't understand what you are trying to say. Does #2 indicate that you transferred miles from one credit card account to three different AA accounts? Or is it that you used your credit card to pay taxes for you, your wife and your sons?

When in doubt, read what JonNYC has to say. He usually has the correct answer.

Mike
I used my card to pay for taxes on 3 different redemptions from 3 different accounts.

Basically I know I have not done anything wrong and fully co-operated with AA and thought matter was finished.

Is it normal to leave a account in dormant state which means not locked but with a remark against it.

Ok now the main thing is what can I do. I am proactively asking AA reservations to ask someone to contact me for the last 2 weeks but I am not getting anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.