Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where's American Airlines based? CEO corrects himself in earnings call

Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

Doug Parker, the CEO of American Airlines, had a similar slip-up during Tuesday morning's earnings call. While talking about Dallas-based Southwest Airlines' recent stock success, he said it's a great time to invest in Dallas airlines.

About 10 minutes later, Parker corrected himself, saying American (Nasdaq: AAL) is based in Fort Worth, of course, not Dallas. He especially apologized to Mayor Betsy Price and said they are proud to be based in that city.

Article: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl...html?ana=yahoo

The question is for how long will AAL remain at the current HQ? Time will tell.

Parker said they haven't announced what routes the new aircraft would fly but he'd likely have to fly to Dallas to see it.

Oops.

He corrected himself a second later, saying Dallas/Fort Worth, of course.
I guess he has a problem with Fort Worth. For all it's worth.

Last edited by kettle1; Jan 28, 2015 at 12:24 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
No it has nothing to do with that... 99% of the world views the metroplex as Dallas. Im not sure there is anyone educated that would think when you say Dallas you were talking only about Dallas, and not the whole metroplex. The issue is that Ft Worth is incredibly insecure about being insignificant compared to Dallas.

The reality is Plano is now the US Headquarters of Toyota (along with YUM, and a dozen other major international companies), but I would be shocked that if they say anything other that "Dallas" in normal correspondence.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
No it has nothing to do with that... 99% of the world views the metroplex as Dallas. Im not sure there is anyone educated that would think when you say Dallas you were talking only about Dallas, and not the whole metroplex. The issue is that Ft Worth is incredibly insecure about being insignificant compared to Dallas.

The reality is Plano is now the US Headquarters of Toyota (along with YUM, and a dozen other major international companies), but I would be shocked that if they say anything other that "Dallas" in normal correspondence.
I disagree, if you aren't familiar with/haven't spent any time in the Metroplex, the mention of Dallas for most people will not bring to mind Ft. Worth. However, a signficant economic engine of the region is the Dallas/FT. Worth International Airport.

DP and The New AA would be well served to remember that and to train the LUS crews that their in-flight announcements should refer to Dallas/Ft. Worth and not Dallas. More than half of the population of the Metroplex do NOT live in Dallas.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 777Pax
I disagree, if you aren't familiar with/haven't spent any time in the Metroplex, the mention of Dallas for most people will not bring to mind Ft. Worth. However, a signficant economic engine of the region is the Dallas/FT. Worth International Airport.

DP and The New AA would be well served to remember that and to train the LUS crews that their in-flight announcements should refer to Dallas/Ft. Worth and not Dallas. More than half of the population of the Metroplex do NOT live in Dallas.
Actually, only 750k live in Fort Worth, only 1.3M live in Dallas, the vast majority of the CSA/MSA lives in "other" cities than Dallas or Ft Worth. Technically per the US govt, it is the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington CSA/MSA, which had 6.9M total. If you said LA, people would think the full LA basin, not just the city of Los Angeles. When referring to the airport, you are absolutely correct that it should be DFW, however you are just as accurate stating the metroplex as Dallas, Fort Worth, Dallas/Ft Worth or Dallas/Ft Worth/Arlington.

Only a very insecure city (which Fort Worth has always been regarding the semantics of the name) would care if a business stated Dallas vs Fort Worth.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:54 am

On Feb 3, seat map is showing 33 unassigned seats. I would say at least 25 open seats. How long do you think the upgrade list would be for this flight?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, even if Fort Worth is technically an independent entity, the vast, vast majority of people don't differentiate it from Dallas. If that bothers you, don't live in Fort Worth.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Yes. I don't live in Dallas, but I always said I live in Dallas to outside people. Only, if ask in Metroplex , I said Red Oaks.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by elpi
Yes. I don't live in Dallas, but I always said I live in Dallas to outside people. Only, if ask in Metroplex , I said Red Oaks.
That's what Irving says.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
This brings to mind a conversation I had last year at the preseason volleyball banquet. I am a booster and season ticket holder so I went to it, got to meet the new players and one I was talking to was from the DFW metroplex.

The conversation went something like this.

Me: Where are you from
Her: Plano, in Texas
Me: Where is that?
Her: Dallas
Me: Oh

I imagine she probably has been in that conversation a few times since going to college.

Really to everyone who doesn't live in Dallas you are strange if you say you are from Plano, Ft Worth, Richardson, etc to everyone else you are from Dallas.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by rjw242
Yeah, even if Fort Worth is technically an independent entity, the vast, vast majority of people don't differentiate it from Dallas. If that bothers you, don't live in Fort Worth.
This. Living in Montgomery County, MD, I just tell people I'm from the suburbs of DC. Unless you're from the area, you're probably not going to know where Montgomery County is. And most people in MoCo (at least the ones I come into contact with) don't get a bug up their posterior when we get lumped in with DC.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
To me, the bottom line is that the CEO of any company should know where its headquarters actually are.

Then again, I have always believed that DP is not CEO material. Remember his brilliant idea that would bring US Airways lots of additional revenue every year by charging for water and drinks? That didn't even last 6 months.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by imapilotaz

Well put..
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Really to everyone who doesn't live in Dallas you are strange if you say you are from Plano, Ft Worth, Richardson, etc to everyone else you are from Dallas.
Yup, that was my experience when I lived in Richardson. Even folks in Houston didn't know where Richardson was. "Oh you meant Dallas" more than one said.

Originally Posted by fly747first
To me, the bottom line is that the CEO of any company should know where its headquarters actually are.

Then again, I have always believed that DP is not CEO material. Remember his brilliant idea that would bring US Airways lots of additional revenue every year by charging for water and drinks? That didn't even last 6 months.
I'll take a CEO that has a strong financial results record and slips up on a city occasionally over one who always gets the city right and delivers poor financial results. Whether the customer base loves or hates him (personally, I'm in the middle), he's had staying power as CEO as he's delivered good financials, which is what qualifies him as CEO material in the eyes of those who empower him to be in that role.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I'll take a CEO that has a strong financial results record and slips up on a city occasionally over one who always gets the city right and delivers poor financial results.
Unless you're a shareholder, why? As the customer I don't really give a hoot whether the airline has strong financial results or not. All I really care about is receiving the product I expect on a consistent basis.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Unless you're a shareholder, why? As the customer I don't really give a hoot whether the airline has strong financial results or not. All I really care about is receiving the product I expect on a consistent basis.
Customers should care about the financial health of their airline, otherwise the service & relability will suffer. That is why airline service is where it is now, because they had such long term poor finacials.

As to the Ft Worth issue, I go to FT Worth 2-3 times a year for business the last 10 years. And have never said I am going to Ft Worth. Me, my boss, our company travel office all use "Dallas". It just is what it is. I am sure after living there a while he will try to be more diplomatic or maybe just use HQ or Metroplex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.