Wiki Posts
Search

AA Fare Code "Q" Upgrade with Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:11 am
Original Poster

AA Fare Code "Q" Upgrade with Miles

Hi FT,

I found some great deals on MSP-HKG on AA this spring with fares aroud $977 RT.

After looking at details, I noticed this is booked in fare class "Q" which I understand is a Discount Economy Fare.

Looking at the AA Upgrade with Miles Chart it says that I can upgrade "Most Discount Economy" fare for 25k miles plus $350 co-pay.

With AA saying "most" discount economy fares, does "Q" count for the upgrade?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedFTW
Fare class Q is totally fine for the miles + copay upgrade. Fare class O to South America used to or may still have some limitations with respect to earning miles and/or something else. Q, on the other hand, never had any issues.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Of course, upgrade inventory must be available.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Hi FT,

I found some great deals on MSP-HKG on AA this spring with fares aroud $977 RT.

After looking at details, I noticed this is booked in fare class "Q" which I understand is a Discount Economy Fare.

Looking at the AA Upgrade with Miles Chart it says that I can upgrade "Most Discount Economy" fare for 25k miles plus $350 co-pay.

Thanks!
Yes you can upgrade that fare - but (as previously noted) the upgrade must be available. If it isn't, you would be placed on a waitlist - and that waitlist is processed according to elite status & w/in elite status categories - time of request. IMO, if you don't have status w/AA and were to go on the waitlist, the chance of the upgrade clearing would be highly doubtful.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the answers!

I have 3 more questions about this before I go and book the flights!

1) If I book in economy, using the 25k miles + $350, is it going to bump me up to Business Class?... or Main Cabin Extra?

2) If I route MSP-DFW-HKG, does the upgrade apply to the MSP-DFW route as well?

3) My wife is Platinum w/ AA so we would be using her account to book for two tickets (her and myself), she has about 150k in miles to use. Can she use her miles for me as well to upgrade or do I need to have the miles in my account to upgrade myself?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
1) If I book in economy, using the 25k miles + $350, is it going to bump me up to Business Class?... or Main Cabin Extra?

3) My wife is Platinum w/ AA so we would be using her account to book for two tickets (her and myself), she has about 150k in miles to use. Can she use her miles for me as well to upgrade or do I need to have the miles in my account to upgrade myself?
If your upgrades clear, it will be to Business, and it's good for up to 3 segments so MSP-DFW as well. Since your wife is a PLT, you can select MCE seats for free already. And she can use her miles from her account to upgrade both of you, you don't have to have them in your account.

Just keep in mind that the DFW-HKG flight is the toughest upgrade in the AA system, even for top tier EXPs. So if it clears, it will probably won't happen until a day before the flight right up to at the gate. Good luck!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for all of the answers!

I have 3 more questions about this before I go and book the flights!

Main Cabin Extra is not a class of service; it's still an Economy cabin / service. The upgrade will be to the next class of service, Business internationally or on three class domestic services, or domestic two class First.

Upgrades serve for up to three flight sectors; upgrade inventory must be available. You could positively book at purchase if there's upgrade inventory available at that moment. Many here use ExpertFlyer, which offers a trial access period, to ferret those out.

Your wife's miles will do, and if she books the tickets, as her traveling companion, you would gain her Platinum status for upgrade purposes. That advantages could be offset by the system's not issuing upgrades unless the inventory is available for both upgrades.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I just signed up for ExpertFlyer and search for a random segment which was LAX-NRT on AA and noticed that 7 seats were available for Business Class Upgrade with fare code "C".

If I happened to book that flight and use Miles+Co-pay, would it be an automatic upgrade with confirmed seats or would I be put on a list?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I just signed up for ExpertFlyer and search for a random segment which was LAX-NRT on AA and noticed that 7 seats were available for Business Class Upgrade with fare code "C".

If I happened to book that flight and use Miles+Co-pay, would it be an automatic upgrade with confirmed seats or would I be put on a list?
If there is C availability, then you could clear the upgrade immediately without needing to be put on the waitlist.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I see that as well - for the LAX-NRT flight tomorrow so if you wanted to go tomrorow, indeed you could book and get the upgrade w/miles & copay. I doubt you'll find that for DFW-HKG in the Spring.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
You should be all good to upgrade a Q fare, and if it clears you should get all segments MSP-DFW-HKG. However, actually getting the upgrade is a whole different story...

Have you checked out the DFW-HKG AA 137/138 Upgrade thread? Tons of good information and knowledgeable people on that thread who could help you out further.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:42 pm

Do you get Business class mileage redemption and eqm for upgraded seats?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shuom
Do you get Business class mileage redemption and eqm for upgraded seats?
No. All the miles and points are based on the original fare purchased.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
No. All the miles and points are based on the original fare purchased.
And, Q only gets 0.5 point per mile. So, you might be in a J seat, but only get 1/2 the points. I usually book in V or higher, then go for the miles+cash, so I'll at least get the 1 point per mile (and usually the upgrade, even if 72 hours or less before departure).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.