Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hurnik
Contacting AA Customer Relations & Discussion
Contacting Customer Relations, complaints and related issues
N.B. AA and US combined Customer Relations as of 20 January 2015

=Q. What is the difference between AA Customer Relations and Customer Service?

Posted some time ago, still relevant: What is the best avenue to file such a complaint? Is it AAdvantage Customer Service, or AA Customer Relations? Each one seems to have its own email comments form on AA.com. When using these forms, are they usually pretty good about responding? If not, is there an email address I can directly email in a situation like this?

Reply by AmericanAirlines View Post:

Good question. American Airlines has 2 departments: one called Customer Relations and one called AAdvantage Customer Service.

AAdvantage Customer Service is for assisting AAdvantage members with account issues (address changes, mileage posting issues, etc…) American Airlines Customer Relations is for addressing customers past travel experiences (delays, employee issues, etc…)

Stephen @ AA

At one time, AA maintained an occasional and official "helpful lurker" presence, comprised of more than one person, with the FlyerTalk handle AmericanAirlines; AA has chosen not to maintain such a presence on FlyerTalk.
Customer Relations

Our Customer Relations department is dedicated to addressing customer comments and unresolved concerns. The Customer Relations department will respond to our customer’s written complaints within 60 days. Customer Relations can be reached at:

U.S. Mail/Overnight Mail American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Fax: 480-693-2300

Email AA Customer Relations Opens in a new window (link)
Wrong thread? Need AAdvantage Customer Service? Contacting AAdvantage Customer Service master thread (link)

NOTE: AA and US consolidated their main Customer Relations contact process January 2015. Whereas previously US CP and AA EP / EXP could contact Customer Relations by telephone, that is no longer possible.

To register complaints, one must use the e-form linked to here: Email AA Customer Relations (pops up AA e-form); there is no publicly published telephone number to call for AA Customer Relations. NOTE: form limited to 1,500 characters. Invalid character or empty required information field causes form refusal.

You may specify you want a reply within this form; if you do not do so, it is quite possible you won't receive an acknowledgement of your communication. The initial reply may be a mere acknowledgement; if there is a case number, record it and use it in future communication

Also note replies from AA Customer Relations can not be autoreplied to. (Clarification here):
It appears that AA is using bot-generated replies to your complaint form. You CAN reply to that email if you want to get your complaint routed to a real person. Otherwise, the bot-generated email will simply issue an apology, and nothing more (no compensation). Once you reply to that auto-generated email, you should get a team member response in a few days.

It has been suggested separate issues be addressed by sending separate customer contact forms. Unfortunately, employees can easily conflate separate issues or stop reading after the first one.

One can include a telephone number and ask AACR call back. They will likely do so, but it will require you to monitor your phone until they call.

Compliment, Complaint, or Comment

Contact Information (including)

• Past Flight Experience
• Praise/Compliments
• Concerns/Complaints
• Suggestions/Communication

"We want to be sure we hear from you. Please verify that you are on the correct country version of aa.com, by checking the country flag displayed at the top of the page. Then submit your comments or inquiries using the link below: "

Email AA Customer Relations (pops up AA e-form)

See this page

(Limited to 1,500 character.)

Other Contact Information

Mail/Overnight mail
American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Previously: Phone: 817-786-3778 and Fax: 480-693-2300

Need help with something else?
  • Upcoming or current travel
  • Special needs / Disability assistance
  • Frequent flyer program
  • Delayed baggage
  • Refunds
  • Help booking online
  • American Airlines Vacations
Use links from this page
Who's the boss?Executive Contacts (Christopher Elliott - link)Primary Contact
Vincent Carcaterra
Director of Customer Relations
1 Skyview Drive
Fort Worth , Texas 76155
[email protected]

Secondary Contact
Kurt Stache
Senior Vice President – Customer Experience
1 Skyview Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76155 76155
[email protected]
Note: calling or emailing is not necessarily effective nor recommended.
"Snail mail" or written material by courier may be more effective.

Suggestions from members For effective communications:
  • If you have a case number, include it prominently
  • Include your name and contact information
  • Be sure to include key dates, times, ticket numbers
  • Keep it factual, brief, and strive for clarity
  • If you expect reimbursement, keep it within scale and do specify
  • Be specific - and realistic - about what you want / your expected outcome.
  • Keep feelings, hyperbole out of your story.
  • AA never accepts consequential damages (missed important events, etc.)
See USDOT below)
Twitter

If you have a Twitter account, you may get rapid assistance or resolution by tweeting @AmericanAir. See post #45 by JonNYC and this FT thread: Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd). From there:

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ

Q. How do I use this channel of communication?

You must first sign up for a (free) Twitter account. When you do, Subscribe to the AA Twitter channel: @AmericanAir.

Note: Getting assistance from Twitter for a specific reservation can be improved by communicating with them by using the DM / Direct Message (like PM here) system, where you can include your PNR and details privately - and your AAdvantage number and EP status so they can link it with your Twitter profile. This is easily done by sending them a tweet asking them "Please follow me for DM" so they can "follow" you and receive DMs from you.

Once this has been done, you may wish to take your account Private.

Q. How can they help?

@AmericanAir can assist with OSO (Off-Schedule Operations - "IRROPS") when it might otherwise take a long time to get a response from the telephone desk employees. There are many things that @AmericanAir can do when time is of the essence; read posts below for more.

Q. Can I report service issues?

Certainly.

Q. Can I laud or compliment excellent service?

Certainly. The Twitter team will log these and for AA employees (including employees of wholly owned subsidiaries, but not contractor employees) and pass on compliments to supervisors, who will add them to the employee's personnel record.
For further information on how Twitter works, read here.
US Department of Transportation - File a Consumer Complaint

Airline Service Complaints and Comments

Complaints and comments about airline service other than safety or security issues may be registered with DOT's Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD). You can call, write or use our web form.

You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

You may send us a letter at: Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

You can send us a complaint, comment or inquiry electronically by using our web form. This form allows us to capture information more accurately and process it more efficiently. The web form allows you to attach a file.
Whether you call, write or use the web form, please be brief and concise in the description of your problem and be sure to include the following information:
  • Your name
  • Complete address
  • Daytime phone number (including area code)
  • e-mail address
  • Name of the airline or company about which you are complaining
  • Flight date
  • Flight number if known
  • Origin and destination cities of your trip.
If you send us a letter, you should also include a copy (not the original) of your airline ticket or itinerary sheet and any correspondence you have already exchanged with the company.

- See more at: https://www.transportation.gov/airco....Iar1Z6Ve.dpuf
Note: Earlier this year, others were still receiving email with:

Customer Relations
American Airlines
4255 Amon Carter Blvd., MD 2400
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Fax: 817-967-4162
AND they've emailed about using [email protected] for EC261/2004 issues.
Print Wikipost

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Various
Not clear if you address all three issues in one CS form.

If so, that's not the best option to send compliments/complaints. Always send a separate form for each type of incident.

If not, they need to do a better job at responding after reading the entire message.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robt760

If so, that's not the best option to send compliments/complaints. Always send a separate form for each type of incident.
Absolutely agree.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Robt760

If not, they need to do a better job at responding after reading the entire message.
It was one brief, succinct (trust me, their character limit doesn't allow anything else) and structured narrative, where my requirements were listed clearly. The praise was incidental, but sincere. I trust you don't think the requests consequential to the delay (reimbursement of expenses and Certificate of Delay) needed to be separated. I certainly wasn't willing to complete all the fields in their stupid form more than once.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
The delay of the flight was less than an hour. The insurance claim (if American refuses to do the decent thing) will be based on the consequential delay of 13 hours, which I need documented.
Boarding pass?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:06 pm
ont

Originally Posted by MADPhil
If you can get documentation of the delay then the best thing is probably to claim on the insurance and let them fight AA, unless the insurance will not cover all your expenses.
Insurance doesn't usually cover delays due to misconduct by the third parties. They will likely deny the claim. Doesn't hurt to try though.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:15 pm

My relatively unimpressive experiences with AA customer relations were considerably improved if when filling out the form I said that I had written in already, referencing the reply reference number if there was one, and saying that I would like them please to call me. When you specifically say that you'd like them to call you back (not just leave a number so they CAN call you back, but actually ASK them to call you back), my experience is that they will.

Bear in mind that you will then need to sit on your phone, as they might call you at any time, and if you miss their call then there is still no way for you to call them...

The person who actually called me took the time to understand everything I was saying, and could also see any back-and-forth via email that had already taken place. They also told me that they're trying to improve this process - I genuinely hope that is the case.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Try this for an insurance letter

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Can you not print out the flight status page or something similar and use that? I've never had to do this before, but I would think that would be accepted.
https://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEma...=tripInsurance
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by ont
Insurance doesn't usually cover delays due to misconduct by the third parties. They will likely deny the claim. Doesn't hurt to try though.
Only if I tell them, of course. AA has classified the delay differently (DOT complaint is another option).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Schultzois
My relatively unimpressive experiences with AA customer relations were considerably improved if when filling out the form I said that I had written in already, referencing the reply reference number if there was one, and saying that I would like them please to call me. When you specifically say that you'd like them to call you back (not just leave a number so they CAN call you back, but actually ASK them to call you back), my experience is that they will.

Bear in mind that you will then need to sit on your phone, as they might call you at any time, and if you miss their call then there is still no way for you to call them...

The person who actually called me took the time to understand everything I was saying, and could also see any back-and-forth via email that had already taken place. They also told me that they're trying to improve this process - I genuinely hope that is the case.
That's kind of reassuring. Except, in my case, it would require them to be willing to call an international number, and understand that I am asleep during their afternoon.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:30 pm

Now we're talking - thank you!

Let's see if they bother to read my request for a statement of the total delay to my itinerary, rather than the specific flight.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
AA customer dis-service

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The whole decline and fall of AA Customer Relations has really been a huge detriment to the airline as a whole-- it's really a terrible situation.
if you are (were) EXP, the change from being able to talk to a relatively informed person to having to communicate via email with a poorly trained monkey is maddening. i apologize for offending any of our primate friends.

The quality of response that you receive is just horrible.. The only "good" thing is that if you are EXP, your complaint is dealt with almost immediately.

When this first started 6-8 months ago, they said that the new procedure was temporary and would be resolved once the merger was completed... Yeah- right

i had drafted a letter to Parker but i basically said "<bleep!>" and rebooked on another airline..

Typical AA -one step forward, 2 steps back.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 16, 2015 at 3:00 pm Reason: edit by moderator: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:52 pm

The quality of response that you receive is just horrible.. The only "good" thing is that if you are EXP, your complaint is dealt with almost immediately.

-----------------------

I know that USAirways didn't even care much about customer relations. Let's hope that it is not going water-downed to the USAirways level.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:42 pm

What happens when you escalate a complaint to the new AA as a EXP?

Originally Posted by Catbert10
The inability to respond to a CS email has been in place for some time now. I believe it pre-dates the merger. It sucks, true, but if you send another post via the web form and reference the case # in the original email response, the new submission will be linked to the original submission.

Which is not a guarantee that you won't receive another canned response, of course.
OK guys, this is worse than I thought. I did what you suggested, and indeed what AA's Twitter feed suggested, and wrote back again. I told them that I found it disappointing and downright insulting that they hadn't bothered to read my letter. I reminded them that the critical part of the delay was caused by the incompetence of their staff at PHL, and that it was utterly disingenuous to attribute it to uncontrollable factors.

Well, blow me, exactly 24 minutes later, I receive this response, signed by the same individual:

"We have received your additional email and understand you are disappointed with our response about your flight on November 5, 2015.

We attempt to explain our position and how we come to our decisions -- recognizing that we will not always agree upon the resolution, but we do our best to be fair and supportive as advocates for our customers. For those exceptions, we evaluate all the circumstances and try to be reasonable and fair in our decisions.

Let me assure you that our position does not lessen our regard for you as our customer. It is always our pleasure to serve you, and we are eager to do so again soon. Please give us another opportunity to earn your business.

I'm a survivor of the UA/CO merger, and I'm beginning to think that this is looking even worse, which I could never have imagined.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 20, 2015 at 1:50 pm Reason: Response to OP
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
OK guys, this is worse than I thought. I did what you suggested, and indeed what AA's Twitter feed suggested, and wrote back again. I told them that I found it disappointing and downright insulting that they hadn't bothered to read my letter. I reminded them that the critical part of the delay was caused by the incompetence of their staff at PHL, and that it was utterly disingenuous to attribute it to uncontrollable factors.

Well, blow me, exactly 24 minutes later, I receive this response, signed by the same individual:

"We have received your additional email and understand you are disappointed with our response about your flight on November 5, 2015.

We attempt to explain our position and how we come to our decisions -- recognizing that we will not always agree upon the resolution, but we do our best to be fair and supportive as advocates for our customers. For those exceptions, we evaluate all the circumstances and try to be reasonable and fair in our decisions.

Let me assure you that our position does not lessen our regard for you as our customer. It is always our pleasure to serve you, and we are eager to do so again soon. Please give us another opportunity to earn your business.

I'm a survivor of the UA/CO merger, and I'm beginning to think that this is looking even worse, which I could never have imagined.
I try to be a bit clearer and objective / more diplomatic in my requests; to not do so may well affect and prejudice the hapless person at the receiving end of my ire.

Organized facts (with sources / references as necessary) unblemished by feelings, clarity and brevity, those have worked in my favor.

You may wish to try again by snail mail.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver

I try to be a bit clearer and objective / more diplomatic in my requests; to not do so may well affect and prejudice the hapless person at the receiving end of my ire.

Organized facts (with sources / references as necessary) unblemished by feelings, clarity and brevity, those have worked in my favor.

You may wish to try again by snail mail.
Thank you, JDiver, you always speak with wisdom. Although the above was a slightly flippant paraphrase, and I did restate what actually happened, and that it was incompatible with the descriptor "uncontrollable".

Judging by the turnaround time and the nature of the response, I am not sure the hapless person at the receiving end (if it really is a person and not a robot) bothered to read what I wrote this time either.

This, and a certain other development the past week, has given me plenty of food for thought about my future with this airline. I think I'll save my stamp for a DOT complaint.

PS: By the way, here's another thing that's changed: You never see the text of your own message to AA again. With the old American, it was appended to the response in an e-mail thread. Now you have no idea what you did or didn't write to them, unless you've copied and saved it.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Nov 20, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.