Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is it Just AA? [that keep fares high even as fuel costs decline]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it Just AA? [that keep fares high even as fuel costs decline]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by rjw242
What you're ignoring is the fact that one carrier is offering the same route for $200 less. Nobody's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy AA. And if you (and enough other people) are willing to pay $200 extra to fly on AA, then AA has set their price correctly.
And proof that this so-called airline oligarchy that now exists in this country, really doesn't exist. Cities that have very little air service today, just as they did 8 years ago before the mergers began, are still expensive. Cities which have a bunch of different carriers and flights are still competitive. The only difference is that fares aren't as polarized as before. The high F fares have been replaced with much lower F fares. And the really cheap (and unprofitable) Y fares are gone. You're much less likely today to have one passenger paying $99 for his OW transcon fare seated next to a passenger paying $900 for the same journey.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: AADULtArer
however, most people, when it comes to airlines, say, let the market take care of that. let them charge whatever the market will bear. why not do the same after a hurricane? shoot! if y'all can't afford $10,000 for a $1000 generator, too bad. I'll just sell it to the guy who can either afford it or is desperate enough to dig deeper than he should.
This has no impact on those who planned ahead and bought the 500 dollar generator in advance, knowing that hurricanes are inevitable, and would lead to high demand.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Airlines buy their fuel way in advance of use trying to hedge the bet on price increases. Unfortunately fuel costs don't drop for them as fast as they do on the market. But yes, one would expect the price of a ticket to reflect the cost of actually flying, but if the sales are strong, there's no reason to drop fares.

Years ago (and I'm sure still) the local water company needed to raise their base rate to cover the reduced usage due to a water shortage. Funny thing they didn't drop their base rate once water became more available. Called free enterprise? Once one competitor starts stealing your customers by dropping prices, the others usually follow suit.
OT, but funny thing along these lines happened in AUS last year. After years of drought, water rates were raised steadily, AND the water company & city asked and forced conservation. The good people of AUS complied, and what happened next?? The water company was "obliged" to raise the rates again, this time because demand had dropped so much!

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Purely and simply, airlines price their tickets more based on value than cost. In other words, they find the price point at which enough people are willing to pay that they maximize their revenue for a given flight. If they reduced the price they may fill the last couple of seats on the plane but make less overall and, likewise, if they increase the price they may lose because they end up with more empty seats.

Varying prices based on the cost of a barrel of oil is what's called cost-based pricing - you charge a certain markup over the cost of providing the service.

In reality, the price of most things in life, ironically with the exception of oil-based products, are priced more value-based than cost-based. Of course, you hope the maximum value-based price (the maximum the item is worth to someone) remains more than the lowest cost-based price (the minimum you can afford to sell it at) otherwise you will eventually be forced to sell at a loss. I'm sure there's been numerous times of high oil prices when airlines have been in just this situation.
+1 ^
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I need to go on a little rant (I start a lot of my flyertalk posts with those words it seems like LOL )

I have started looking at flights to Nashville over the summer. Rumors of a US soccer game there plus my girlfriend really wants to go there, will be our first trip together. Right now flights on AA are 600 per person. I know it is over 4th of July weekend but still. The lowest I can absolutely find is a mixed metal itin on Delta and AA on an OTA for 538.

Outrageous to pay that for a domestic flight, and basically a mid con at that. I know it is over a holiday weekend but still.

Since it is still almost 6 months out I am holding out hope the fare will drop to more acceptable levels. However I am not holding my breath. The airline oligopoly is holding back supply to keep demand high to justify these outrageous fares. Keep the fares high and price out the discretionary leasure traveler, then when loads drop instead of lowering the price to sell the remaining seats the airlines can use that as an excuse to downgauge in order to eliminate some supply to keep the demand high. I have already seen it. ELP-DFW used to always be MD-80/A319, now there is only a few mainline a day and the rest are CRJ. I think I even saw a CRJ or two on the DFW-BNA leg. Flight between two major cities on a CRJ.

Instead of lowering prices to sell excess supply, airlines would rather just cut out the excess supply and keep charging the high fares. Raise fares some more, price out some more people, then use that as an excuse to downgauge and cut even more.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Outrageous to pay that for a domestic flight, and basically a mid con at that. I know it is over a holiday weekend but still.
No one if forcing you to buy a ticket. Why should they charge less if they think they can sell seats. If AA can't sell seats, prices will drop. It's a holiday weekend as you have acknowledged. You can always stay home, take your GF our for a nice dinner or two or three, cuddle at home and watch the game on TV and still save money.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Did I miss a UN proclamation or something? Is cheap air service on every carrier between every city pair on every date now an inalienable human right?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I need to go on a little rant (I start a lot of my flyertalk posts with those words it seems like LOL )

I have started looking at flights to Nashville over the summer. Rumors of a US soccer game there plus my girlfriend really wants to go there, will be our first trip together. Right now flights on AA are 600 per person. I know it is over 4th of July weekend but still. The lowest I can absolutely find is a mixed metal itin on Delta and AA on an OTA for 538.

Since it is still almost 6 months out I am holding out hope the fare will drop to more acceptable levels. However I am not holding my breath. The airline oligopoly is holding back supply to keep demand high to justify these outrageous fares. Keep the fares high and price out the discretionary leasure traveler, then when loads drop instead of lowering the price to sell the remaining seats the airlines can use that as an excuse to downgauge in order to eliminate some supply to keep the demand high. I have already seen it. ELP-DFW used to always be MD-80/A319, now there is only a few mainline a day and the rest are CRJ. I think I even saw a CRJ or two on the DFW-BNA leg. Flight between two major cities on a CRJ.

Instead of lowering prices to sell excess supply, airlines would rather just cut out the excess supply and keep charging the high fares. Raise fares some more, price out some more people, then use that as an excuse to downgauge and cut even more.
Airlines have learned that they can offer cheap fares early and cheap fares late to fill a plane. The problem with cheap fares early is that it often eliminates the opportunity to see a full/larger fare. So, they are no longer inclined to offer their lowest fare until much closer to flight time.

Many have analyzed when to buy (and it is route and time of year/event dependent) but the sweet spot on pricing is 1-3 months out.

Here's one analysis - http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-...ta-has-to-say/

Be patient, pay attention and think creatively and you have a good chance of getting a good fare. Use something like itamatrix to search as well.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA
whatever. air travel has become a quasi-necessity. the greed of wall street is what drives fares, not supply and demand. those who think otherwise need to lay off the kool-aid.

maximize profits--not for bettering the airline, for enriching the tycoons of wall street.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/01/air_..._deregulation/

but what would a former legacy carrier ceo know anyway...
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by teevee
whatever. air travel has become a quasi-necessity. the greed of wall street is what drives fares, not supply and demand. those who think otherwise need to lay off the kool-aid.

maximize profits--not for bettering the airline, for enriching the tycoons of wall street.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/01/air_..._deregulation/

but what would a former legacy carrier ceo know anyway...
I certainly will give you that CEOs are being pressured to delivery profits, mostly on cost cutting not competing on quality or service. This cuts across a huge number of industries. Given the Wall Street shrills will never ride in the back of the bus why would they care about the Y product. Look at JetBlue, the airline that tried to improve upon the standard Y product. They have finally admitted defeat and other than the Mint product its come to as many seats shoved together as possible. For Y travel expect higher prices and less product.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Wow flying to Europe is expensive despite lower oil prices

Hi All,

Surprised to see that flying to a popular destination like CDG from say SFO in May is still $1700 in Y. Surprisingly J is just $4800, which is not even a 3 times multiple.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I bought NYC-CDG roundtrip in J for around $2,100 in May. Had been looking for Y actually, but Y was pricing out at $1,800.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkrijeka
I bought NYC-CDG roundtrip in J for around $2,100 in May. Had been looking for Y actually, but Y was pricing out at $1,800.
Yeah, its kind of bizzare why AA would do that. I'm flying DFW to FRA in April and J was only 40% more than discount Y. I thought it was an anomaly but perhaps not.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
[QUOTE=teevee;24211403]whatever. air travel has become a quasi-necessity. the greed of wall street is what drives fares, not supply and demand. those who think otherwise need to lay off the kool-aid.

I think most here have acknowledged that maximizing profits is a publicly held business's primary objective. You choose to call that "wall street greed". I think you are the one who needs to lay off the kool-aid. Why should AA or any other single business be the first (and maybe only) one to decide "we're not going to maximize shareholder value"? What you are asking for is a total revision of the American financial system. How about your company starts by cutting prices in half? Please post back when you have done that and then maybe we can discuss whether other companies should follow.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I quite like TACA (I guess now Avianca). The last time I flew them, coming back from MGA, they gave me a free upgrade
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by inpd
Yeah, its kind of bizzare why AA would do that. I'm flying DFW to FRA in April and J was only 40% more than discount Y. I thought it was an anomaly but perhaps not.
That's not bizarre. Bizarre is when JFK-HKG AA code/CX metal is $16,000 in First one way while YYZ-NYC-HKG AA code/CX metal is only $4,200 booked in full F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.