Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Future changes to AAdvantage program? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Speculation: Future changes to AAdvantage program? (Consolidated thread)
Please update as any concrete information becomes available.

This situation changed with JonNYC's revelations here and on travelingbetter.com on November 5, 2015. Please see the current thread, 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes for further discussion. This speculation thread has now been archived.

Q. What do we know at this point?

Nothing.

Q. When would a change occur?

We don't know.

Q. Will there be changes?

We don't know.

Q. Are there clues?
Mr. Parker stated there would be no changes for 2015.

Mr. Parker said he'd not be averse to using others' ideas if they worked.

28 Sep 2015: AA spokesperson Laura Nedbal to Gary Leff:
"If we were to issue changes like this we would be certain to give plenty of advanced notice."
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Future changes to AAdvantage program? (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
US tried charging for drinks on domestic flights. Nothing is off the table, but I expect full communication of changes in advance of them coming into effect. December 31 announcements for March 1 start date seems plausible.
This timeline would be odd for changes in benefits, and extremely odd for changes in qualification.

I expect that any changes for 2016 qualification (for 2017 status) will be announced by the end of this year, but I doubt there will be such changes, at least not drastic ones.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by SFO777
But do Parker & Co. realize that or more importantly, even care? Look what they did to domestic catering? That they subsequently had to walk back some of the damage suggests that they didn't realize that it was one of pmAA's best draws.
At least they were quick to admit their mistakes and recognise backlash unlike another airline which took a corruption case before it was officially announced they screwed up? Look, the meal downgrade was awful not just because of the massive complaints but also bad PR. (Cremini mushroom ravioli aka dog barf?) However, considering the meal downgrade has been the worst thing to happen during the merger process compared to a litany of other, significantly more impactful disasters in previous mergers, management deserves credit. There was no March 3, 2012 or US/HP mess. And the initial merger of the FFP programme was a great success with very little hiccups. More importantly, there was very little change with the initial roll out. Only the few US Platinums got screwed. I don't think Parker's management is anywhere near as arrogant and self-serving as you are making it out to be. Unlike a former CEO who might end up in the clink, he seems to know how to run an effective airline with historically better operations than AA before the merger.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
There has been a promotion to give bonus EQPs and RDMs to F/J fares. Clearly trying to encourage higher spending. If these promotions mean anything, we could see AAdvantage become revenue based by giving more miles to the higher fare classes and perhaps use only EQPs to determine elite status going forward. I expect any changes to AAdvantage to take place 1/1/2016 at the earliest.

Originally Posted by Longboater
At least they were quick to admit their mistakes and recognise backlash unlike another airline which took a corruption case before it was officially announced they screwed up? Look, the meal downgrade was awful not just because of the massive complaints but also bad PR.
Ironically, that "other" airline forced Parker's team to backtrack some of their cutbacks, by announcing meal upgrades shortly after the complaints started on the downgraded AA meals.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Austin787
Ironically, that "other" airline forced Parker's team to backtrack some of their cutbacks, by announcing meal upgrades shortly after the complaints started on the downgraded AA meals.
From what I've heard was that the meal investments were being planned many months beforehand and was more mere coincidence that it happened, at least initially, at the same time as 9/1. But this was after years of complaints and downgrades before their hand was forced. Again, from what I've heard from this forum and others is that this changes can take some time. Considering it was only 11 months before the new entrees came along suggests the decision to reconsider and move on took place not too long after the complaints flooded in.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Who knows-- this might be a similar impetus at/for AA.
The rumor in another travel group -- from someone from Sabre -- is that there will be some changes to the fare buckets. As it has been stated, every letter is currently being used. And I guess Sabre -- or at least what AA runs -- doesn't allow for 2 letter codes like UA. And AA needs additional codes. If this is true, I could see all upgrades moving to a single code or at least combined. If my brain is thinking correctly, there is A C X R right now. Or have I missed one or two of them? Wonder what other buckets/letters could be combined.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
With my current job, all my travel is leisure. Depending on what AA does, I might have to find a new hobby. I did have a great time though.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
This timeline would be odd for changes in benefits, and extremely odd for changes in qualification.

I expect that any changes for 2016 qualification (for 2017 status) will be announced by the end of this year, but I doubt there will be such changes, at least not drastic ones.
Agree. I think we will be hearing about changes by December 1. Wouldn't be surprised if "little notice" creates a huge backlash -- especially for those that have been buying tickets under current year assumptions. Wonder if there is something for the Wednesday of thanksgiving -- now wouldn't that be a day to release a new program and head out on vacation.

But really, changes to the AAdvantage program are probably the most anticipated event. What will be interesting, of course, is the degree of the changes (does it affect status earning? Does it affect mileage accumulation rates? What about the bonuses for the different levels? Will it be a carbon copy of UA and DL? So many questions) and then when do changes take effect? Jan 1? June 1? July 1? DL did have a significant change that went into effect on like April 1st. So it is conceivable that something could be announced but a mid year effective date. There is history.

but I just don't buy the Bloggers assertion that it is too late in the year for AA to announce changes to the pages for next year. Anyone remember the April 8 (or whatever date it was) last year that we woke up to find the rug pulled out from u see us? But I am open to be proven wrong (and would like to be wrong on this one).
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Agree. I think we will be hearing about changes by December 1. Wouldn't be surprised if "little notice" creates a huge backlash -- especially for those that have been buying tickets under current year assumptions. Wonder if there is something for the Wednesday of thanksgiving -- now wouldn't that be a day to release a new program and head out on vacation.

But really, changes to the AAdvantage program are probably the most anticipated event. What will be interesting, of course, is the degree of the changes (does it affect status earning? Does it affect mileage accumulation rates? What about the bonuses for the different levels? Will it be a carbon copy of UA and DL? So many questions) and then when do changes take effect? Jan 1? June 1? July 1? DL did have a significant change that went into effect on like April 1st. So it is conceivable that something could be announced but a mid year effective date. There is history.

but I just don't buy the Bloggers assertion that it is too late in the year for AA to announce changes to the pages for next year. Anyone remember the April 8 (or whatever date it was) last year that we woke up to find the rug pulled out from u see us? But I am open to be proven wrong (and would like to be wrong on this one).
It's possible there might be a mixed announcement. EQM vs RDM. Changes to the RDM might take effect during the middle of the year, but 2016 would be the final year to earn elite status the "old" way.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Xero
It's possible there might be a mixed announcement. EQM vs RDM. Changes to the RDM might take effect during the middle of the year, but 2016 would be the final year to earn elite status the "old" way.
That is the prevailing thought and rumor.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This makes sense, for elite qualification rule change they should give a full year notice. If they sell tickets 11 months out, this is the notice they should give. I have booked many thousands worth of travel until EOS, as many others we know here have, and no surprises from AA are appropriate here. A company of the size of AA has no excuse not to provide significant advance notice and planning for any major changes for elite qualification.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If I can earn the status the same way in 2016 as 2015, that means that I don't need to care about different upgrade rules until early 2018. And by then, so many things in my travel-related life can be so different (based on history of the last 26 years of elite status across various airlines) that I can't even care to worry about it.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'm, possibly in futility, hoping that AA qualification in CY '16 stays as-is. I've booked 50k EQM already and will probably book another 50 EQM shortly. That will get me to 1.9MM and EXP through Feb 2017 and then hopefully I can get the other 100k (using CY '16 benefits) and hopefully have LT Plat wrapped up by then. Sure, it may not work, but that's my best chance at this point.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mikelat
I've booked 50k EQM already and will probably book another 50 EQM shortly.
I'm not ready to make that jump yet. I probably had around 50K booked this time a year ago for the first quarter (half domestic, half international). With all the discussion about a new lower range of fares that might have less benefits, including mileage, I'm not ready to spend thousands of dollars out into the future just to find the accumulation rates changed at some future date. I'll probably book some January travel this week, but not expecting to go out any further than that without a clear picture of what may be ahead.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by tom911
I'm not ready to make that jump yet. I probably had around 50K booked this time a year ago for the first quarter (half domestic, half international). With all the discussion about a new lower range of fares that might have less benefits, including mileage, I'm not ready to spend thousands of dollars out into the future just to find the accumulation rates changed at some future date. I'll probably book some January travel this week, but not expecting to go out any further than that without a clear picture of what may be ahead.
Same with me Tom. I haven't booked any economy flights on AA for 2016. I have some paid international J (well, 'I' actually--took advantage of the great sale) and some paid domestic F for later in 2016 on AA, but all paid economy is either on UA or I'm waiting to see what AA does. If we don't get an indication soon, I'll either risk it on AA or go ahead and put it on UA also.

I know from reading here that RDM is a big consideration for you. RDM is less important to me than EQM, but if cheap economy (which some clients demand) is not going to earn 1EQM/mile then I might as well go on UA (or whoever else is cheapest nonstop).
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Same with me Tom. I haven't booked any economy flights on AA for 2016. I have some paid international J (well, 'I' actually--took advantage of the great sale) and some paid domestic F for later in 2016 on AA, but all paid economy is either on UA or I'm waiting to see what AA does. If we don't get an indication soon, I'll either risk it on AA or go ahead and put it on UA also.

I know from reading here that RDM is a big consideration for you. RDM is less important to me than EQM, but if cheap economy (which some clients demand) is not going to earn 1EQM/mile then I might as well go on UA (or whoever else is cheapest nonstop).
Or DL might be a good choice if you can spend $25,000 on their credit card per year, you can still get the top status by just BIS miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.