Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

can you earn AA miles if you fly Air tahiti Nui?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

The AA website says "redemption only", but the AA agent on the phone told me I just have to give TN my AAdvantage number to earn the AA miles.

Which one is the correct information?

And can I book Air Tahiti Nui flight directly from AA? I have AA credit card and I can earn more miles if the ticket is issued by AA.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
The AA website says "redemption only", but the AA agent on the phone told me I just have to give TN my AAdvantage number to earn the AA miles.

Which one is the correct information?

And can I book Air Tahiti Nui flight directly from AA? I have AA credit card and I can earn more miles if the ticket is issued by AA.
You will earn AA miles if the flight is booked as a codeshare (AA flight number), and in this case you would need to supply your AAdvantage number. You can book these flights directly from AA.

You will not earn AA miles if the flight is booked with a TN flight number, so whether you supply your AAdvantage number is irrelevant in this case (unless you have connecting segments on AA, etc.) and may even be harmful in that it could prevent you from claiming with another airline. For a simple round-trip, these flights generally won't be on AA-issued tickets.

Note that codeshares are often more expensive, so it is worth checking both options.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by jridge; Jan 12, 2015 at 7:19 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
IIRC earning on TN marketed and operated flights ended back in 2009. As jridge properly notes, earning would be on codeshares only.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
So I found TN flights LAX to PPT You can buy these as TN flights or AA flights with a different flight number. So if I buy these with AA flight number I can earn AA miles even though on TN metal???
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Air Tahiti Nui

We flew to Tahiti and back a couple of weeks ago. AA says you can use miles on this airline. I called AA to see if you earn miles. So far no credit(the numbers are in the reservation). It was a codeshare with AA. The AA person wasnt very sure. anyone know anything
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You can use miles. Not earn them.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/air-tahiti-nui.jsp
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hilton, IHG
Unfortunately it appears no miles earning on Air Tahiti Nui: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tahiti-nui.jsp

It is redemptions only. If you compare that page to a OneWorld airline you’ll see language about earning as well as redeeming.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The only way you can earn AAdvantage miles on TN is if you fly as an AA marketed flight (“codeshare”, or on qualified Qantas marketed fares. Flying as TN marketed (coded) flights, you do not earn AA miles. (Searching here on keyword “tahiti “ would have revealed that in the existing thread on this topic.)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by leiserom
We flew to Tahiti and back a couple of weeks ago. AA says you can use miles on this airline. I called AA to see if you earn miles. So far no credit(the numbers are in the reservation). It was a codeshare with AA. The AA person wasnt very sure. anyone know anything
The bolded is key. If you booked the flight as an AA codeshare, it should earn as an AA flight: full EQMs (based on miles flown), EQDs (based on fare paid), and RDMs (based on fare paid plus any elite bonuses). If you didn’t book it as a codeshare, no earning, as others said.

(It’s not directly relevant whether a codeshare exists on the flight you flew; all that matters is how you booked it.)
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:42 am

Thanks. I bought it as part of a package from a travel agent. I dont have that many miles on AA anyway(my primary carrier is UA). No big deal. Signing up for FF programs on airlines I might use once is worthless. We went to Iceland a few years ago. I didnt even bother to sign up for a FF account.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by leiserom
Thanks. I bought it as part of a package from a travel agent. I dont have that many miles on AA anyway(my primary carrier is UA). No big deal. Signing up for FF programs on airlines I might use once is worthless. We went to Iceland a few years ago. I didnt even bother to sign up for a FF account.
Icelandair is a partner of Alaska Airlines, which has a decent awards program. Just in case you use FI again. I think with JetBlue, as well.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

I really dont care about earning miles on airlines I probably wont fly again. Ive got 7K on Delta and 5K on AA. Almost useless. I got enough on AA once to pay for a rental car. We were on Air Botswana 8 years ago. I signed up for their FF plan. I have no idea what happened to those miles.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond
I'm looking at purchasing tickets to PPT around Thanksgiving 2020 - I searched on the AA website and alas, no AA codeshare on TN from LAX available during those dates; only a QF codeshare via AKL (LAX-AKL-PPT vv); I also saw AA award availability on TN during the same period. Did the AA codeshare on TN end (again) or is this just a fluke?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elmothehobo
I'm looking at purchasing tickets to PPT around Thanksgiving 2020 - I searched on the AA website and alas, no AA codeshare on TN from LAX available during those dates; only a QF codeshare via AKL (LAX-AKL-PPT vv); I also saw AA award availability on TN during the same period. Did the AA codeshare on TN end (again) or is this just a fluke?
QF does not fly LAX-AKL. AA & NZ both fly LAX-AKL. If on QF would be via BNE, SYD or MEL. Or do you mean a QF marketed TN operated flight LAX-PPT-AKL?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just took a look and depending on the dates, it appears the AA codeshare LAX-PPT on TN is still operating and available for sale. Perhaps it's your specific dates?
As to the via AKL option, it appeared that it was LAX-AKL (on AA) and then AKL-PPT on TN, but all sold as QF codeshares. You'll have to check the AA partner earning chart to see what you would get for QF codeshare flights: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.