Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage account data / security breaches Dec 2014 (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

United Airlines and American Airlines have confirmed that cyber criminals, using stolen usernames and passwords, accessed frequent flyer accounts in December 2014. Once the thieves fraudulently obtained access to these accounts, miles were transferred, used to book trips and even redeemed for upgrades.

According to American spokeswoman Martha Thomas, as reported by AP, nearly 10,000 AAdvantage accounts may have been compromised Thomas said the airline has frozen some accounts while it works with customers to set up new AAdvantage memberships. Thomas also confirmed that mileage bandits were able to obtain free travel and upgrades without the members’ knowledge or consent in at least two instances.

Both airlines insist that their computer networks were not compromised. It appears the thieves obtained username and password information from another company’s site. The thieves were able to use this information to access individual accounts only in cases where the username and password matched the exact login credentials of the hacked site. To prevent this kind of incident from occurring again, United is now requiring MileagePlus members to enter their account number when logging in.

Jeff Edwards, 12 Jan 2015, FlyerTalk.. Copyright © 2015 Flyertalk.com.
Link.
Thomas said that American would pay for a credit-watch service for one year for affected customers. (See below e-mail; one year Experian credit monitoring.)

Both were quick to say that nobody hacked their systems — that thieves got usernames and passwords somewhere else and tried to use them to log into American’s AAdvantage and United’s MileagePlus, hoping that the login information would be the same. They said that other information such as entire credit-card numbers was not exposed.

The representatives said they did not know how thieves acquired the usernames and passwords. Thomas said American had referred the matter to the FBI.

In Part, from AP via Dallas Morning News: Link

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Just received the following email. I assume everyone affected will receive it. There are 2 attachments. 1) How to enroll in Experian, 2) generic information about steps to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft.

"Hello____,
We are writing to inform you about an incident involving unauthorized access to your online AAdvantage® account. An unauthorized third party recently used email addresses and passwords obtained from sources other than American Airlines to log into certain accounts, including yours. This could have resulted in access to the information that you see when you log in to your account, such as your name, email address, phone number, postal address, date of birth, the last four digits of your credit or debit card and its expiration date, your AAdvantage number, and information about the miles, mileage activity, the points that you have accrued, and the last four digits of passport numbers. In a small number of cases, known‑traveler IDs and redress numbers, as well as the last four digits of U.S. resident card numbers, also may have been compromised. Based on our review, the unauthorized access occurred on or about December 30, 2014.

Importantly, the affected accounts do not contain Social Security numbers or full credit or debit card numbers. We are in the process of working with U.S. federal law enforcement and are continuing to investigate the incident.

For your security, we have created a new AAdvantage account for you and a new AAdvantage number. We are in the process of transferring all of the miles from your old account to your new account. Once that merge is complete, your new number is emailed to you. You can use that new account number to log in to your account on aa.com. You will need to create a new password at that time, which you can do by clicking the "Forgot your password" link below the field where you would enter a password. You should not use the password you previously used for your AAdvantage account. Also, you should not use a password that you use for other online accounts.

Additionally, we have contracted with Experian to provide you a free one‑year membership in Experian's credit monitoring program. This product helps detect possible misuse of your personal information and provides you with identity protection services focused on identification and resolution of identity theft. You may sign up for this service by following the instructions included in Attachment A. You will be able to access this offer at no cost until April 30, 2015.

Any unauthorized transfers of miles will be credited to your account. Nonetheless, we recommend that you carefully review your statements, account activity, and credit reports to help protect the security of your accounts. Attachment B contains more information about steps you can take to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. American Airlines takes information security very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to protect the personally identifiable information we maintain.

If you have further questions, please contact AAdvantage® Customer Service.
After business hours, please contact aa.com Web Services.

Regards,

Steven D. Leist
Chief Privacy Officer
Vice President – Technology Infrastructure
Note: you are entitled to get a free credit from each Credit Reporting Agency(Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) report every twelve months without cause, and again for cause. You can request your credit reports from this (only) service set up by the CRAs here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action. This is the only sanctioned site; others will try to sell you products.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage account data / security breaches Dec 2014 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JMN57
Lastpass is the way to go.
How is storing all of your passwords in one place the way to go? This way, if this one account is compromised, all accounts are compromised.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KDB23
Updated existing US reservations last week with new AA number and the US system does not recognize that I am PLT with AA. Therefore lost all benefits of my status including TSA prck when I flew US last week. Spent 4 hours on the phone with customer service (no joke) trying to get AA to work with US to restore my status on US side (apparently no issue with status on American side). Eventually said system glitch would be fixed over the wknd. I just checked it was not. Will be flying again this week with no status on US airways.... Beyond frustrated and angry at this point - loss of upgrade opportunities at T-24, priority boarding, etc etc.
Wow, that stinks.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mvoight
When changes are made to your account or awards are requested, you are sent an email. So, at least most people would know if someone had requested an award from their account
Yes, unless the hacker has changed your email address... As is reported many times here. Sending a message to the previous address is a very good approach to find out if someone is in the account getting ready to do something nasty. Now if they would only lockout any transactions long enough for you to get the message and maybe act upon it.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
How is storing all of your passwords in one place the way to go? This way, if this one account is compromised, all accounts are compromised.
Used correctly, password managers can improve security by making it easier to create and use strong passwords. For example, I don't even know what some of my critical passwords are - they're hugely long, complex monstrosities more than 30 characters long that my password manager can paste into a browser field to log in. They're protected with a very long master password that I only need to enter occasionally. It also alerts me if a site I use has recently been on the receiving end of a breach that's been announced.

But yeah, if you use a poor master password, then the compromise of it can leave you extremely exposed.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, unless the hacker has changed your email address...
Exactly.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
If miles were used to upgrade and book reservations, then shouldn't they know who stole them? Since booking flight reservations require you to use your real name, you'd think they could easily trace the crime back to the criminals. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by fishy21
If miles were used to upgrade and book reservations, then shouldn't they know who stole them? Since booking flight reservations require you to use your real name, you'd think they could easily trace the crime back to the criminals. Am I missing something?
My guess is it's CYA mode. They don't want to divulge too much info to keep from being sued if they are wrong. And just because a secondary site, like TripIt might have been the source there is nothing to say they too were hacked by an outsider and this can go several layers deep. The ultimate user of the ticket/gift card may be identifiable, there's nothing to say they weren't victims of a fraudulent transaction such as a CL or EBay ad.

Many sites have implemented something like Captcha to block programmatic access. Since many people will choose simple passwords so they can remember them it won't take long to break in. I've always had issue with sites that use email addresses as usernames, those are so easy to harvest on the net, especially if you can get access to a major email node. I bet sites like Yahoo! pay big bucks to keep hacks quiet. Heaven knows they get a lot of spam from/to Yahoo! accounts.

Until all systems are outfitted with bio scanners and they use something not easily duplicated (not fingerprints) security will be left to user passwords and very vulnerable. Fortunately there are packages to help strengthen passwords, but then if that gets hacked game on again.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Follow-up email? Credit monitoring?

It's been ten days now since my wife's AA acct was compromised and she got the initial email, which ended with "We apologize for the inconvenience and will email you again soon with additional information."

No email since then. She had to call AA to get reservations and info moved to the new account. One CSR mentioned free credit monitoring, but we've heard nothing more about that, either.

Has anyone gotten follow-up emails or the promised credit monitoring? Do you think AA will tell us any more about this strange incident?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ziobacio
It's been ten days now since my wife's AA acct was compromised and she got the initial email, which ended with "We apologize for the inconvenience and will email you again soon with additional information."

No email since then. She had to call AA to get reservations and info moved to the new account. One CSR mentioned free credit monitoring, but we've heard nothing more about that, either.
Really inexcusable-- so sorry to hear that.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA
How many people have gotten the free credit monitoring? I haven't heard anything about it recently.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:45 pm
aeo

Originally Posted by KDB23
Updated existing US reservations last week with new AA number and the US system does not recognize that I am PLT with AA. Therefore lost all benefits of my status including TSA prck when I flew US last week. Spent 4 hours on the phone with customer service (no joke) trying to get AA to work with US to restore my status on US side (apparently no issue with status on American side). Eventually said system glitch would be fixed over the wknd. I just checked it was not. Will be flying again this week with no status on US airways.... Beyond frustrated and angry at this point - loss of upgrade opportunities at T-24, priority boarding, etc etc.
This happened to me as well. For an itinerary with flights on US last Tue, and for an itinerary with flights on US and BA just this past weekend, I switched out my new AA account number for my old one. Both the US and BA systems immediately recognized my EXP status, I received all EXP benefits (including upgrades on US) and all miles (so far) have posted to my account accurately. I doubt this fix will be available indefinitely, but it's something to consider as a stop gap until AA can work this out.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Has anyone gotten follow-up emails or the promised credit monitoring? Do you think AA will tell us any more about this strange incident?
This.
I was in the midst of a complicated itinerary (28 hrs of travel with a paid ticket linking up with an award ticket) when this went down. Had been trying to log into my account all morning and did not see the email until I boarded a 6 hour flight with no internets. Landed and spent the whole 2 hr layover trying to get my 10 ticketed future reservations back into my reservations list only to have only 3 show up. Did not receive the text message notifications with connecting gate or gate change info during this whole itinerary. On the 14th before I saw the AP news blurb and found this tread I sent a complaint to customer service asking for more information since I had not been contacted like the email stated and was wondering about cc info maybe being compromised. Not looking forward to calling again to get all of my reservations changed over to the new acct #.

Has anyone had any success with getting their past 6 months of summary data and mileage activity transferred to your new account?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:02 pm

This is absolutely ridiculous! I have been on the telephone for 45 minutes (still on hold) to add new Advantage number to current reservations. Had to speak to supervisor for them to apply stickers with the date originally applied, and not ONCE has anyone said "Sorry for your inconvenience". Now I am holding because my account says I'm a Citi credit card holder which I am not.

This is the WORSE Customer Service I have EVER experienced!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
These data breaches must be a boon to the credit monitoring companies. Every time one occurs, folks get an offer for free credit monitoring.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
But the one password should only be used on the Lastpass account and they encrypt your password file (256-bit AES). As someone else noted, use it to generate real, long and complex passwords and make sure that they are unique. To whatever extent possible, use unique IDs as well (harder as many sites default to e-mail). Change often (which lastpass can make easier).

Nothing is full proof but the #1 way accounts are compromised is reuse of ID(e-mail often) and password combinations. Hackers automatically try them at sites to see if they get in. What they are looking for are accounts where payment vehicles are stored. If that is true, they can order up a storm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.