Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

CITI AAdvantage Plat - con only redeem 25k miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR, DL, MM, HH

Hi, can somebody elaborate on this clause as it is not clear to me:

2 Award Redemption
A total of 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles may be redeemed for round-trip coach class Continental U.S. / Canada MileSAAverŽ awards (fees of up to $10 apply). For more information on AAdvantageŽ award redemption please see Redeem Miles at aa.com/aadvantage.

Does this mean from the 50000 sign up bonus only 25000 can be used per person at a time? I was planning to earn some more miles and purchase a 2-way international ticket with the grand total.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

No, 25k is the lowest, round trip domestic award you can get, so with 50k, you can get 2 of these type of awards.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:36 pm

The promotions for this card claim that it comes with enough miles for two round-trip tickets. That fine print you quoted is needed to explain that it is only enough for two SAAver awards, which are capacity-controlled.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"A total of 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles may be redeemed for round-trip coach class Continental U.S. / Canada"

The quoted language is just an example of how AAdvantage miles may be redeemed. It is not the sole means of redeeming miles. In fact, all AAdvantage awards are now offered as one-ways. So, for example, if you were going on a trans-Atlantic cruise from Florida to Europe, you could redeem miles for a one-way award from Europe back to the U.S.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by bgalakazam
Does this mean from the 50000 sign up bonus only 25000 can be used per person at a time? I was planning to earn some more miles and purchase a 2-way international ticket with the grand total.
Just as an FYI - int'l award tickets can be hard to find - esp. in premium cabins so if you pursue this you will want to plan *well* in advance
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR, DL, MM, HH
Thanks for clarifying. And no, I wasn't mainly planning for higher class intl ticket. Looking forward to booking my first ever award flight in that case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.