Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: EXP boost for 100 segment flyers in 2015?

Old Jan 3, 15, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be unable to re-qualify for EXP this year given my continuing flight patterns. As in years past, I should have the ability to achieve 100 segments, but with new qualification requirements I will be short of the 120 needed. I may be willing to pay for a boost should American make this available once again.

What are the thoughts of folks on here regarding what the minimum segments will be for an EXP boost? In the past it has been 85 segments. Is it reasonable to assume that the new minimum may be 100 segments? Something higher? Still 85?
Old Jan 3, 15, 1:09 am

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Poor speculation on my part of course, since we don't even know if there will be a Boost program (though assuming AA made money off of it this year, I expect it will be back )

I would not expect the lower limit for segments to stay at 85. Equating the lowest limit for the previous EXP boost program (85/100 = 85%) to the new 120 segment rule results in 102 segments (85% of 120). Will AA use an unround number? Round down to 100? Up to 105? Anybody's guess (as is, as mentioned prior, whether or not the program will even exist). The only think I feel semi-strongly about it is that I don't expect the lower bound of the EXP segment boost option to be anywhere as low as 85.
Old Jan 3, 15, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Could you add extra segments to all your itineraries?
Old Jan 3, 15, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LAXative View Post
Yes, but that would be a pain that I'm not willing to endure.
Old Jan 3, 15, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rikramer View Post
Yes, but that would be a pain that I'm not willing to endure.
There's no way to predict and therefore I wouldn't even advise adding segments as a hopeful measure. You'll either hit the required # of segments or just have to see what they offer, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 3, 15, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that anyone in the know at AA would even speculate at this point. AA is absorbing the US CP's as EXP and has to also evaluate a $ spend requirement for 2016 and beyond.

AA-US needs to look at the impact on the bigger picture. That is encouraging HVC's to spend on AA.
Old Jan 3, 15, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I doubt that anyone in the know at AA would even speculate at this point. AA is absorbing the US CP's as EXP and has to also evaluate a $ spend requirement for 2016 and beyond.

AA-US needs to look at the impact on the bigger picture. That is encouraging HVC's to spend on AA.
Exactly, it is too premature to predict what the program will look like in 2016. If the program for 2016 is similar to 2015 (segments/miles) then possibly yes. There will be on going changes as a result of the merger dynamics, and as a result of what competition is doing. At this stage my suggestion would be just do what you need to do for your travel, later on this year you can evaluate what it takes to get to ExP e.g. a couple of mileage runs (say you are at 100 segments but 75,000 miles), a mileage run or two might put you over the top.
Old Jan 3, 15, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by LAXative View Post
If someone is qualifying on segments, it's most likely short-haul point-to-point flights with no real opportunity to add segments. The first two years I was EXP it was on segments, almost all between AUS and DFW.
Old Jan 3, 15, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
If someone is qualifying on segments, it's most likely short-haul point-to-point flights with no real opportunity to add segments. The first two years I was EXP it was on segments, almost all between AUS and DFW.
I fly NYC-BOS a fair bit, and although I've never done it, aa.com will always show me NYC-ORD-BOS as an option.
Old Jan 3, 15, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I fly NYC-BOS a fair bit, and although I've never done it, aa.com will always show me NYC-ORD-BOS as an option.
That routing burns most of a business day.
Old Jan 3, 15, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BSBD View Post
That routing burns most of a business day.
You mean taking two 3-hour flights with a one-hour layover in between wastes more time than a single one-hour flight?!?! Who knew?

Of course, if you do it on the weekend, it doesn't waste any of a business day!
Old Jan 3, 15, 7:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I fly JAN to BOS and usually add a segment between CLT/DFW and BOS/MHT to get 3 segments each 1 way trip. Occasionally I can add two. Another poster was right though, it eats up most of a day.
Old Jan 3, 15, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Might as well just backtrack as LGA-DCA-BOS if able in that case, as the Shuttle's more reliable and should take less time.
Old Jan 4, 15, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phlwookie View Post
Might as well just backtrack as LGA-DCA-BOS if able in that case, as the Shuttle's more reliable and should take less time.
True, though fewer miles, if that's of interest.
The point of my post is that it is possible to build in segment and/or mileage runs, even if you're ultimately only looking to travel a short distance.
But of course any segment or mileage run requires one to invest the time to do it.
Old Jan 4, 15, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD

Of course, if you do it on the weekend, it doesn't waste any of a business day!
Every day is a business day

Search this Thread
Search Engine: