Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
awards and seat maps

Why does AA have flights with extremely high prices, seat maps that appear nearly full, limited milesaaver availability, but yet fly out with rows of empty seats?

I'm not a fan of too many regulations on competitive marketplaces...but it would be nice if the airlines were required to plainly show which seats are taken, which are available to elites, which are available to everyone, which are blocked and why.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Why does AA have flights with extremely high prices, seat maps that appear nearly full, limited milesaaver availability, but yet fly out with rows of empty seats?

I'm not a fan of too many regulations on competitive marketplaces...but it would be nice if the airlines were required to plainly show which seats are taken, which are available to elites, which are available to everyone, which are blocked and why.
As AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
... it would be nice if the airlines were required to plainly show which seats are taken, which are available to elites, which are available to everyone, which are blocked and why.
They already do.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
They already do.
I don't believe you can see which elite seats are taken (vs empty) unless you are an elite, they just show up as unavailable (on aa.com).

Of course, seat maps are not directly representative of how many seats are actually sold, but that is a slightly different question.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:08 am
Suspended

Get a subscription to Expert Flyer or the equivalent. Or look at seat maps on Expedia. You will see which seats are blocked, which are premium, which are taken, and which are available.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just checking my math, but once AA saver availability is gone and all that is left is BA metal, I'll be paying the surcharges one way or the other and so should probably book with Avios, where a business OW award is only 40k Avios, as opposed to 50k AA miles?

It's JFK-LON and I figure since we can't get on a new AA 77W, we might as well ride the A318 over to avoid the tired BA CW product.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Are AA miles a one-to-one equivalent to BA Avios? If one BA credit is more valuable at the margin than one AA credit (or vice versa), then that should be considered, too
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Are AA miles a one-to-one equivalent to BA Avios?
Yes and no. It all depends on the route and mileage.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 pm

Are AA miles a one-to-one equivalent to BA Avios? If one BA credit is more valuable at the margin than one AA credit (or vice versa), then that should be considered, too
CMH-JFK in economy is 9,000 Avios round trip (same ticket on AA would be 25,000 miles).

Would you rather fly first? It will be 27,000 Avios (same ticket on AA would be 50,000 miles).

ORD-MIA is 15,000 Avios roundtrip in economy; 45,000 in first.

Add in no fee if booked within 21 days for non-elites ($75 IIRC), and Avios are a great value when redeeming on partner airlines.

AA miles are better used on long haul flights (as long as you avoid BA metal). BA Avios are better for short or medium haul.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:03 pm
Suspended

So the relative value of the credits/miles is in the eye of the beholder. Reminds me of some people who believe that products in the UK are cheaper than in the US because it takes fewer pounds to buy them there than dollars in the US.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Agree on the short hauls, for us it's SEA-LAX, SEA-HNL or SEA-SJD, big savings on those using Avios.

But if you cannot avoid BA metal (and thus the roughly $600 surcharge per Biz ticket), then at least for a route like JFK-LCY, it's probably better to spend Avios there and save the AA miles for AA or CX longhaul (where with certain routes either surcharges or miles are lower than with Avios).

More I think about it, it's just a matter of moving AMEX MRs over to Avios if I run low, especially during 20% promos. Cant do that with AA.

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
CMH-JFK in economy is 9,000 Avios round trip (same ticket on AA would be 25,000 miles).

Would you rather fly first? It will be 27,000 Avios (same ticket on AA would be 50,000 miles).

ORD-MIA is 15,000 Avios roundtrip in economy; 45,000 in first.

Add in no fee if booked within 21 days for non-elites ($75 IIRC), and Avios are a great value when redeeming on partner airlines.

AA miles are better used on long haul flights (as long as you avoid BA metal). BA Avios are better for short or medium haul.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Hi all. I've been scratching my head because i'm evaluating this situation:

CCS-NRT-CCS ("N" Paid RT)
NRT-MIA (Shows 25K MileSAAver availability)
CCS-MIA-CCS("N" Paid RT)

My plan, i don't know if it's possible. To fly segments in blue and "no show" segments in red. My problem would be at the return MIA-CCS leg, as if i "no show" on the first segment of this leg i don't know if AA will cancel the MIA-CCS return.

I ask this because i need a magnifying glass to this rule, along with given N fares from CCS-MIA-CCS RT fares.

Originally Posted by AA
Non-Refundable Ticket Validity
"Cancel or Lose it" Rule

If a customer has purchased an AA non-refundable fare ticket that allows changes and wants to make a voluntary change to their itinerary, the customer must cancel their ticketed flight reservations prior to the ticketed departure time. If the customer does not cancel their ticketed flight reservations prior to the ticketed departure time, the ticket will have no value.

If the ticketed reservations are canceled prior to the ticketed departure time, the ticket will be valid as follows:

Wholly unused tickets - Travel must commence with one year from the original ticket issue date
Partially used tickets - Unless otherwise specified in the fare rule, travel must be completed within one year from the outbound travel date
Any fare difference and applicable change fees must be paid and tickets must be reissued when the itinerary is rebooked.

Customers who no-show a flight without canceling will lose the value of the remaining coupons.

This applies to non-refundable tickets issued from all points of sale as follows:

For travel within the 50 U.S.
For travel between the 50 U.S. and Canada
For transatlantic, transpacific, Mexico, Central America and South America fares for travel originating in the U.S. only
For Caribbean and Puerto Rico/USVI non-refundable fares originating in either direction
Please refer to the specific fare rule for complete details.
I'm not sure if they will cancel my return leg or not, as origin is in Venezuela and not the US.

I don't have a clue who to ask. It is very specific. Paying in Bolivares (BsF) if this itinerary somehow is possible. The whole trip would be around $350.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Being a no show will result in cancellation of all subsequent flights in the same itinerary. Intentionally doing this to get lower airfares violates the AA Contract of Carriage. AA theoretically would have a lot of rather unpleasant remedies it could pursue. Just remember that when you run with the bulls, sometimes you get the horns.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Being a no show will result in cancellation of all subsequent flights in the same itinerary. Intentionally doing this to get lower airfares violates the AA Contract of Carriage. AA theoretically would have a lot of rather unpleasant remedies it could pursue. Just remember that when you run with the bulls, sometimes you get the horns.
It's not on purpose. We have so many government requirements and limitations when incurring in flights, along with a very restricted sales of tickets on all international airlines, that it's not easy.

Edit: Finally concluded i'm just going to MIA this time. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by mvtm; Mar 12, 2014 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:39 pm

I had a question on taxes and carrier charges. I'm looking to book a Europe Business class trip with American miles for summer 2015 (I know it's awhile off) and have started looking at the best products for the trip.

I was looking at flying from ORD to either MAD on Iberia or TXL on Air Berlin, doing an open jaw, and flying out of the other country to Chicago. I see a $2.50 charge for Air Berlin but can't find availability on American For Iberia.

I've looked on Quantus, Iberia and British Airways, and have been getting different prices for taxes and carrier charges. Anyway to find out how much out of pocket it would really be short of calling American and doing a dummy booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.