Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Since you are willing to pay the Anytime mileage price, your choice is actually very simple:

Book the more expensive anytime now, and monitor availability over time. If and when saver business opens up, call AA to upgrade the award. AA has a generous policy that will waive the change fee if you are upgrading the cabin of the award, so you will get an upgrade on your award and still get some miles back in your account.

Why redeem now when you can do so later? Aren't you potentially taking a seat that might be converted into saver availability?
Old May 22, 2013, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Why redeem now when you can do so later? Aren't you potentially taking a seat that might be converted into saver availability?
True. You can always wait. Anytime award tends to be very available (baring the flight being sold out). On the other hand, some people value having a confirmed reservation for their travel plan.

I doubt the taking of the seat in coach will affect business award too much. Theoretically yes, but practically unless the flight is close to sold out, the two cabins shouldn't be too entangled.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:28 pm

Yes that would be part of the problem, wife is afraid we will not make it home.
Will go ahead and book the anytime's this weekend for the peace of mind and hope some savver business's open up.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United
Convert previously booked flight to award?

Hey guys,

I haven't booked the flight yet, but I'm considering booking a flight now for January DFW-SJU. I'm doing a lot of work travel this summer and I want to use miles that I accumulate this summer to book an award ticket. But there is a single flight that is the perfect time frame for our cruise.

Question: Can I book the flight now and then in a few months convert it to an award ticket? Or cancel the tickets and book a seperate award ticket? Well, I know I can do this...but what fees will be associated?

Thanks,
Carson
Old May 23, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by carsondude
Well, I know I can do this...but what fees will be associated?
The fee for cancelling a purchased ticket varies according to the fare rule. It could be zero. It could be $200/person.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by richarddd
Yep. They'd rather sell for cash. OTOH, they don't want to make awards so rare that they lose the customer benefits of a mileage accrual program.
They are that rare vs. United, such that I no longer fly AA on paid fares if I can help it. I consider that AA's miles are worth half of UA's miles because I'd need to buy an AAnytime award on AA. UA saver award space is automatically released anywhere between several days and 3 hours ahead of flight time unless the flight is essentially sold out. AA doesn't do that.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Explore
They are that rare vs. United, such that I no longer fly AA on paid fares if I can help it. I consider that AA's miles are worth half of UA's miles because I'd need to buy an AAnytime award on AA. UA saver award space is automatically released anywhere between several days and 3 hours ahead of flight time unless the flight is essentially sold out. AA doesn't do that.
I'm beginning to think the same thing. That's why I'm going to sign up for some credit cards that offer UAL miles and start accruing those. Back when I could easily get AAnytime awards, I really liked AA.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:05 pm

Hi all, trying to finish my RTW itinerary and having trouble finding LAN availability from LIM to LAX in Business. Awardnexus and BA show nothing, AA shows LIM-DFW-LAX on AA at first class aanytime. Ideally i'd like direct flight, but as of now as long as i get to LAX and keeping me in zone 7 for explorer chart would be great. Im seeing things like LIM-mex-lax, any other suggestions? thanks
Old May 23, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by goober153
Hi all, trying to finish my RTW itinerary and having trouble finding LAN availability from LIM to LAX in Business. Awardnexus and BA show nothing, AA shows LIM-DFW-LAX on AA at first class aanytime. Ideally i'd like direct flight, but as of now as long as i get to LAX and keeping me in zone 7 for explorer chart would be great. Im seeing things like LIM-mex-lax, any other suggestions? thanks
You're limited to SAAver-seat availability, regardless of carrier. AAnytime award seats on AA cannot be booked on an Explorer award.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Explore
Personally booking a flight between 2 days and 3 hours before a flight is of little value. I am usually not that flexible on travel plans, but I did not realize that his was the UA practice.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jagoffee
Personally booking a flight between 2 days and 3 hours before a flight is of little value. I am usually not that flexible on travel plans, but I did not realize that his was the UA practice.
This is useful primarily for domestic leisure travel, where I do redeem award miles when the paid fare is high enough, as it often is in 2013. My United credit card even puts me in the queue for a first-class upgrade on a coach saver award, based on status. Also, United's generous SDC policy (plus or minus 24 hours) allows you to speculatively book award flights and modify the actual flights without penalty right up to flight time. You can do this for free even on paid tickets, unlike AA.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Nyc - gru/gig

I've been monitoring award availability for <Nyc - gru/gig>. Was planning on likely booking one way GRU-NYC in business class June '14 for world cup. Up until recently there has been great availability 9-11 months out on this route. But all of the sudden it's all gone! Is AA scrapping awards in anticipation of high demand for world cup? Or is this just typically award fluctuation? I don't have a lot of experience redeeming on AA so just curious...

Last edited by Microwave; May 24, 2013 at 5:23 am Reason: Added the route
Old May 23, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Assuming I know the program, you are worried about something too early. I'd suggest you wait until the appropriate time when the booking window opens, and then call AA and see what is available. Recently I couldn't find what I wanted on line, but a phone call solved my problems. Also, what is your AA status?
Old May 23, 2013, 6:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks. No status. Miles from CCs.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:15 am

There's lots of reasons AA RM may decide to release or reduce award inventory on any particular fight. We don't know what most of these are. All you can do is consistently monitor the award inventory for openings, if there is currently none on the flights you want. Not much point in doing that before the window opens, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.