Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Toronto (or anywhere in NA) would be fine.

The bigger issue is whether HKG-YYZ via LAX is over the MPM (max permitted mileage) for that route. It is especially an issue since CX flies HKG-YYZ direct. You can look it up in KVS, but I would not worry too much about the details. Just call up the EXP desk and try to book it. If they say no, come back here and we can help you figure out why it may not be allowed. My guess is you will be fine though.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:33 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Chances of getting additional first class ticket with a SuperSaver award

I have been monitoring the AA web site on a daily basis, waiting for the availability of a first class ticket for NYC - DEL next November 2012. Today my date opened up and I was able to snag one ticket. Upon further review of this thread and talking to AA, it seems that AA initially only releases one first class seat. However, I am not traveling by myself and need a second seat. With all the experts out there, maybe someone can assist me and tell me if I am wasting my time waiting for a second seat to open up. Do they regularly sell out first class? Would it benefit me to subscribe to ExpertFlyer or should I just keep checking myself. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

gnomie
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:14 am
Suspended

None of us knows whether AA will make another first class award seat available. It could happen today, just before the flight, or never. If I were you, I'd book a J award seat on the same flight and then upcabin for free (except for the extra AA miles and a possible increase in taxes, fees, etc.) should an F award seat become available. Expert Flyer is one excellent way to monitor this.

Are you aware that some AA partners fly to Delhi? Jet Airways (9W), Kingfisher (IT), British Airways (BA), Gulf Air (GF), Royal Jordanian (RJ), Etihad Airways (EY), Japan Airlines (JL), Cathay Pacific (CX), and Finn Air (AY) do. Qantas (QF) flies to Mumbai. You can mix-and-match carriers and routes to get there. Just remember that some of the routes taken by the above airlines, alone or in combination, will cost slightly more, possibly much more, AA miles to book. And you would have to pay substantial fuel surcharges if you fly on a BA-operated plane

Last edited by Austinrunner; Dec 23, 2011 at 5:30 am
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Question for the group. I have a business class award dfw-mia-lhr and was trying to get the non-stop dfw-lhr in business or first. The agent said there were two business class seats on BA but I would have to pay a higher fuel surcharge (which I expected). I said, yep I am aware that BA has a fuel surcharge and AA doesn't. He replied "AA has a fuel surcharge. All airlines do. AA's not as large as others" Is that accurate?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The difference is that on an award ticket AA includes the fuel charge (commonly coded as YQ) in the award. BA does not. You will have to pay the YQ in addition to the taxes and the use of miles. AA just charges for the taxes.

Using miles to fly BA TATL IMO is a poor value.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by gnomie
I have been monitoring the AA web site on a daily basis, waiting for the availability of a first class ticket for NYC - DEL next November 2012. Today my date opened up and I was able to snag one ticket. Upon further review of this thread and talking to AA, it seems that AA initially only releases one first class seat. However, I am not traveling by myself and need a second seat. With all the experts out there, maybe someone can assist me and tell me if I am wasting my time waiting for a second seat to open up. Do they regularly sell out first class? Would it benefit me to subscribe to ExpertFlyer or should I just keep checking myself. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

gnomie
I would definitely check out EY (Etihad) for F awards (at least on JFK-AUH route).
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by gnomie

gnomie
If you do stick with AA, you should consider getting ExpertFlyer and setting up alerts. It's a lot easier than checking yourself everyday.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for all the great advice

Thank you everybody for your suggestions - you guys are great - I tried getting a J seat but none are available for the date I need so I think I will set up an account with ExpertFlyer and hopefully I will be lucky and something will open up in the next 11 months!!

The reason I am keen on the AA flight - it is direct and arrives at a decent time and not in the middle of the night, this trip is for pleasure and I need to join a tour the following day and want to be as refreshed as possible.

gnomie
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:39 pm

wondering about the reward tickets

I tried to redeem miles back to china next summer, but find there is not many reward tickets left.

Just ask,are the reward tickets for next summer all be booked or just not released?

Thanks everybody
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nonesuch77
I tried to redeem miles back to china next summer, but find there is not many reward tickets left.
Does this include calling AA and checking partners such as Cathay and JAL?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:08 pm

I didn't do that, but i will try later
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:14 am

Why no Mileage Saver Award Econ Inventory LAX-LHR Dec 25-Dec 31

Looks like there are plenty of open seats. Last year had no problem securing 2 last minute LAX-LHR mileage saver econ seats on Dec 25. Been watching it for over a week. Then noticed absolutely nothing until Jan 9. Usually AA releases inventory when they know seats aren't going to sell.

Is this a new policy? Plenty of award seats going to JFK all next week, but again nothing from JFK to LHR.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:58 am

talked with friend at AA... "Z" and "U" awards were scaled back for the forseeable future.. No reason given.. but did say that West Coast mile saver award tickets will be difficult to procure ... quite obtuse answer but my friend is " in the know"....
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MileGuy
Looks like there are plenty of open seats. Last year had no problem securing 2 last minute LAX-LHR mileage saver econ seats on Dec 25. Been watching it for over a week. Then noticed absolutely nothing until Jan 9. Usually AA releases inventory when they know seats aren't going to sell.

Is this a new policy? Plenty of award seats going to JFK all next week, but again nothing from JFK to LHR.
AA has become a greedy grinch this season, and AA's releasing of space for standard priced ("SAAver"-level) mileage tickets at this time for US-LHR travel (in economy class at least) has become worse than it's ever been. AA is making even CO and DL at their worst look relatively generous for this time of year.

The relative lack of attention to this issue on FT seems to indicate that AA can easily get away with these kind of customer-unfriendly shenanigans with very little scrutiny and barely a whimper from even those who are pretty well focused on developments in the airline "loyalty" program(s).

With mileage ticket inventory release and related pricing practices like this, the idea of accumulating AA miles becomes a lot less attractive.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:34 am
Suspended

Are you always this grumpy on Christmas Day? Not only is AA at fault, but every Flyertalk member is guilty.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Dec 25, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.