FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1641939-archive-2009-2015-milesaaver-saaver-award-availability-help-etc.html)

gemac Feb 24, 2010 2:04 pm

You are way too late to be booking spring break tickets. You can get AAnytime awards or paid tickets, but no MileSAAvers. You could wait and see if MileSAAvers open up a day or two before flight, but you could get stranded in London that way.

ldpeters Feb 24, 2010 2:07 pm

I agree that this is tough because it's a school month. April is a surprisingly rough time to score SAAver availability. SFO is also a rough airport to score it from...

Is the hangup getting across the pond or getting to a gateway? I've recently found that F SAAver ability is often much better than J for longhaul. And yeah, BA might deserve a look-see.

Another option would be to book in Y now (if you can find MileSAAver) and then upgrade to J if availability comes through later on. Might be tough with 4 seats, but if TATL J loads stay as low as they've been, you should have a halfway decent shot of changing cabins when you get closer to flight time. AA typically waives the fee for this, though YMMV.

ldpeters Feb 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 13456667)
You are way too late to be booking spring break tickets.

Not necessarily true. The SAAver award game is a strange one. And typical spring break season is March, not April. I just booked my spring break tickets last week. Premium classes, SAAver inventory.

(admittedly, not to LHR, but LHR availability usually quite good)

millionmiler Feb 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by JHunter (Post 13455167)
There is virtually no availability in either direction during the entire month of April, from any Bay Area airport to either LHR or LGW.

AA doesn't fly to LGW anymore.

J class award seats to Europe have always been difficult. With the decrease in flights to London they are now very hard to get. The fact that you want 4 makes it impossible I'm afraid.

My suggestion is to look for coach class (which you may still not find this close), look to fly BA through Canada or give up.

we2sparks Feb 24, 2010 3:01 pm

You could also try checking the availability of 1st class on those flights. It's only 25K more round trip and maybe you can find 2 Biz and 2 First. I have always found tickets in first easier to find.

gemac Feb 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by JHunter (Post 13455856)
...this week is my children's school break.

Originally Posted by ldpeters (Post 13456727)
...typical spring break season is March, not April.

Spring break can vary in different parts of the country. When spring break occurs where the OP lives is more relevant to his ability to get SAAver tickets than when spring break occurs where you live.

travellertales Feb 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by JHunter (Post 13455167)
Due to a change in work plans, my family and I hope to travel to the UK for a week in April.

I have ~360k AA miles and could transfer another 125k from Starwood. Ideally, we would like to book 4 business class tickets from the Bay Area to London, departing 10April and returning 18April. The sAAver award is 100k round trip, but this award is harder to find than the proverbial unicorn. There is virtually no availability in either direction during the entire month of April, from any Bay Area airport to either LHR or LGW. The only option seems to be spending 80k/person for coach (60k out + 20k return) which seems on the high side.

Are there alternatives such as the All-Airline or OneWorld awards which might reasonably fit the bill? Note that none of the European OneWorld partners (except for BA, which sadly can't be used) fly non-stop from the Bay Area to Europe, so I think these would require multiple connections . . . but perhaps I am missing an option.

According to the BA Exec club award availability there are 4 J seats from Toronto out on 6th April back on 13th April. Also 4 seats in J from Montreal leaving 6th, 7th or 13th back anyday between 13th and 23rd except 18th + 19th. Not exactly SFO but is transatlantic. Don't know if sAAver awards apply to partner airlines.

ckc123 Feb 24, 2010 3:40 pm

I just booked two 1st class tickets from DCA to EZE through MIA on Monday for the end of March. Lots of saver awards open. Might be because it's the end of summer down there. Not sure.

ldpeters Feb 24, 2010 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by ckc123 (Post 13457396)
I just booked two 1st class tickets from DCA to EZE through MIA on Monday for the end of March. Lots of saver awards open. Might be because it's the end of summer down there. Not sure.

Yeah, LOTS of F SAAver to EZE. Those were my tix, too, but I'm going earlier in the month! But, worth mentioning -- tons in F very little in J.

Looking now at actual inventory across the pond, J SAAver is worse than I've seen in since the Great Recession began. Either business travel is picking up, or AA schedule cuts have increased loads. I looked at very, very similar routes around this time last year for travel in April/May -- wide open. This year, not so much.

I'd jump on the BA tix noted in another post. Try to get yourself to YYZ, YVR, or YUL.

rj123456 Feb 25, 2010 1:20 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 13455600)
These dates fall within the UK school holidays, a peak period for family travel. As in the USA, each district sets its own dates, but checking one in London I see that Spring Term ends on 1 April, and Summer Term begins 19 April.

http://www.halftermdates.co.uk/index.html

Interestingly, 10 Apr to 18 Apr also happens to be a holiday week for at least some schools in the Bay Area too (e.g. San Jose Unified, which is one of the largest school districts). Not coincidentally it's Easter.

mvoight Feb 25, 2010 2:59 am

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 13457186)
Spring break can vary in different parts of the country. When spring break occurs where the OP lives is more relevant to his ability to get SAAver tickets than when spring break occurs where you live.

That might be true, but for below college level students, spring break is normally the week before or the week after Easter. College spring breaks are often in March, but for younger students, it usually happens the week before or the week after Easter.

zdcatc12 Mar 4, 2010 9:26 am

Additional MileSAAver Ever Open Up?

I was wondering if AA ever reopens MileSAAver awards for flights? The flight I am looking at has no MileSAAver even for EXP, however right now the flight is about 1/3 full (1185 DFW-PDX on 5/15). Is there ever a chance more MileSAAvers will open if this flight stays fairly empty?

On a side note, is there anyway to get EF to check expanded EXP award availability?

brp Mar 4, 2010 9:27 am

1. Yes it can happen.
2. No

Cheers.

rcherskov Mar 4, 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by zdcatc12 (Post 13509686)
I was wondering if AA ever reopens MileSAAver awards for flights? The flight I am looking at has no MileSAAver even for EXP, however right now the flight is about 1/3 full (1185 DFW-PDX on 5/15). Is there ever a chance more MileSAAvers will open if this flight stays fairly empty?

On a side note, is there anyway to get EF to check expanded EXP award availability?

I've had good luck booking a different flight and then setting an EF alert for the flight I wanted. More availabily opened up about a month before and I called and had them switch me to the one I wanted. Good luck!

videomaker Mar 4, 2010 9:35 am

brp has indeed provided the correct answers.

Also, a quick search (without the need for creating a new thread on topics that have already been covered many times) would have found:

MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability (consolidated)

Expanded MileSAAver award availability for EXP (merged)