Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
(ARCHIVE) 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2015 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
I was booked in Economy (N). LAX-DFW-LGA. I had an e500 upgrade cleared for DFW-LGA. My flights were canceled due to DFW weather and I was auto rebooked into the transcon 321T in business class with booking code R. We flew and were diverted to BOS waiting there for over 4 hours waiting for JFK ATC (weather/LGA closure/ground stops etc). Can anyone confirm That reason? We should have landed about 3:30, didn't land until after 10pm.

I only received the Y mileage and 0.5x EQP for LAX-JFK. My original routing credit would be 2620 vs 2475 (plus PLT bonus). I was not deducted any of my limited e500 upgrade stickers. (Would have cost me at least 3, more if I cleared both legs)

Am I "entitled" to LAX-BOS-JFK Mileage (w/500min) or LaX-JFK with business class mileage bonuses (since my rebooked fare code was R) - or at least LAX-DFW-LGA original routing credit?

I should note that I am very happy with the flight crew and having business on the 321T made that 5hr hold much more bearable. I plan on writing letters saying how amazing the crew was, too. But always happy to get some more miles and such for the hassles. What do you think is fair? I know weather is not their fault nor is delta's mess at LGA, the pilot and crew were top notch and prevented this from being a flight from hell. I gave crew the AAplause vouchers I had also.

I am a PLT and see other people here getting miles for WX and other delays, I don't feel like making a big fuss is needed but I do wish we weren't delayed 7 hours and some more miles would be nice.
What would you do?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:06 pm

Personal opinion: shouldn't get compensation for the weather delay. It sucks, but it's life.

Regarding ORC: I think you're best off claiming ORC for LAX-DFW-LGA. You're not entitled to the J mileage for LAX-JFK, and you're definitely not entitled to LAX-BOS-JFK mileage--save for a potential computer error, I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting mileage based on a diversion.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Personal opinion: shouldn't get compensation for the weather delay. It sucks, but it's life.

Regarding ORC: I think you're best off claiming ORC for LAX-DFW-LGA. You're not entitled to the J mileage for LAX-JFK, and you're definitely not entitled to LAX-BOS-JFK mileage--save for a potential computer error, I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting mileage based on a diversion.

Yeah! I'm pretty happy just getting to keep my e500s so a little from the ORC would be all I expect. Thank goodness for a great crew
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You paid for Y and got Y miles, albeit for the nonstop rather than the original DFW (I think that stands for Disastrous Flying Weather now); you got complementary upgrade (which would have cost you five e500s in this instance, and of course you'd have earned at the originally purchased fare level) to 321T Business, which took a weather-caused diversion to BOS before finally arriving at JFK.

No, you're not entitled to LAX-BOS-JFK. Even under normal conditions, through flights earn as if they were nonstop.

Your original flight in 737 coach and "sliding slabs" first to LGA would have yielded 2,624 base miles; your rerouting rendered 2,475. I suppose you could contact AA and request Original Routing Credit to gain 149 EQ miles, but in my opinion it's like kicking a gift horse in the ruckus. Compensation to boot? IMO again, no; now the poor horse is truly suffering and your Eagles score is starting to resemble Turkey Vultures.

Nice adventure! Far better than being issued a cot for an unscheduled overnight at DFW. And, yes, a kudos to a good crew is always in order.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 7, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, National
[QUOTE

50k Comp total for 2 + SUW & miles refund sounds pretty good to me.[/QUOTE]

Haven' gotten the SWU and miles refund yet. I wasn't really expecting ANY compensation at first (despite the fact that although the delays were attributed to weather other airlines were flying and Love didn't seem to be delayed much at all). I was just annoyed (rightly or not) that the compensation for a 5 hour delay was the same as that for a 48 hour delay.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You paid for Y and got Y miles, albeit for the nonstop rather than the original DFW (I think that stands for Disastrous Flying Weather now); you got complementary upgrade (which would have cost you five e500s in this instance, and of course you'd have earned at the originally purchased fare level) to 321T Business, which took a weather-caused diversion to BOS before finally arriving at JFK.

No, you're not entitled to LAX-BOS-JFK. Even under normal conditions, through flights earn as if they were nonstop.

Your original flight in 737 coach and "sliding slabs" first to LGA would have yielded 2,624 base miles; your rerouting rendered 2,475. I suppose you could contact AA and request Original Routing Credit to gain 149 EQ miles, but in my opinion it's like kicking a gift horse in the ruckus. Compensation to boot? IMO again, no; now the poor horse is truly suffering and your Eagles score is starting to resemble Turkey Vultures.

Nice adventure! Far better than being issued a cot for an unscheduled overnight at DFW. And, yes, a kudos to a good crew is always in order.
Yupp. My letter is 95% Praise for the crew. One sentence about ORC but nothing else, AA came through well here there is no complaint!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:43 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
OK did my first AA trip for PLT challenge yesterday and already got delayed 10+ hours. What would be the compensation if any I should expect other than asking for original miles/points credit?

Date: March 8, 2014
Fare class: O

Traveled from DCA-JFK on AA1029 then JFK-YYZ on AA3332, the first flight was delayed for 2+ hours causing us to miss the second flight. When we arrived no other flights out of JFK / LGA was feasible so we're forced to stay a night in NY. AA gave a hotel voucher + meal ($12) + taxi voucher for us and put us on the earliest flight out of LGA-YYZ on WS1201 (B fare). There were many others going to Europe and by the time this was all sorted out it was near 12am when we got to the hotel and had to leave again at 4am to catch the next flight.

The result on AACargo.com shows operational delay reasons, given this sounds like their fault, what should I expect from them when I write in? As we were heading home we were stuck in our dirty clothes and didn't really have supplies of fresh personal items (contact lens, underwear, shirt...etc) to go straight into work this morning dead tired, which was quite disappointing.

Last edited by jix; Mar 9, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Extremely rude reply

Hi

After a delayed baggage claim of 2 days with some surrounding drama, I got a boiler plate response which did not address my issue. Subsequently, I asked for the matter to be addressed by a supervisor and I got a rude reply from one of the AA customer services agents (Kaley R) which again did not address any of the issues I raised in my previous complaint and she also noted that I should not to expect any further communication re this matter.

I want to run the reply by a supervisor as I think the agent was rude but I am not sure what is the best way to do it. I don't care about the compensation anymore but I am furious and disappointed about this agent's attitude.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with a supervisor or how to escalate further as it is shocking customer service.

Thanks

Last edited by palermo; Mar 9, 2015 at 2:21 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
what are my rights [delays, cancellations, missed connections]

Actually her rights.

Total cluster getting to FLL as flight out of AMA are canceled by AA. She had to drive 110 miles to LBB to get out and that was jacked up and delayed.

Now going back to LBB, there were mechanical issues, So they put her on another flight to DFW to connect to to LLB. and she will miss her connection so they booked her on the morning flight out to LBB.

What is she entitled to to. They are giving her a hotel and a meal voucher. Isn't she entitled to other compensation? Like a flight voucher?

TIA
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ceres
Actually her rights.

Total cluster getting to FLL as flight out of AMA are canceled by AA. She had to drive 110 miles to LBB to get out and that was jacked up and delayed.

Now going back to LBB, there were mechanical issues, So they put her on another flight to DFW to connect to to LLB. and she will miss her connection so they booked her on the morning flight out to LBB.

What is she entitled to to. They are giving her a hotel and a meal voucher. Isn't she entitled to other compensation? Like a flight voucher?

TIA
No, she is entitled to transport and hotel/meal. There is no right to compensation for flight cancellations or delayed flights in the United States.

Ought the airlines be in a financial incentive to fly an airplane that is not airworthy?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Indelaware

Ought the airlines be in a financial incentive to fly an airplane that is not airworthy?
That's true. But AA has been really crappy out AMA. I've flown through there the last three weeks. They cancel flights to DFW but WN flies to the neighboring airport without a glitch. The bulk of what she or I have been on between tx and fl in the last couple weeks has been either canceled or delayed. Are their planes that <redacted> that WN shines? It is nice to get your $600 back when the cancel your flights. But it's a <redacted> to walk to the WN counter and purchase a last minute ticket for a Grand when AA looks like their maintaince crew is in the other AA program.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 9, 2015 at 10:28 pm Reason: attempts to bypass banned word filter
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Any chance the flights were cancelled during one of the DFW weather events? Can you give some flight #s and dates for reference?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Ceres

As there is an extant thread discussing compensation for this type of issue, I'll go ahead and merge this in.

~Moderator
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
  • March 14, 2015
  • AA #61 DFW-NRT Seat 20H
  • AA Platinum (2MM)
  • Q fare class
  • IFE was inoperative and reading light stuck in the "On" position for 5 hours $75 e-Voucher emailed within 48 hours of complaint and sent apology email that covered the topic.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
  • March 14, 2015
  • AA #61 DFW-NRT Seat 20H
  • AA Platinum (2MM)
  • Q fare class
  • IFE was inoperative and reading light stuck in the "On" position for 5 hours $75 e-Voucher emailed within 48 hours of complaint and sent apology email that covered the topic.
AWESOME response from AA to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.