Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
(ARCHIVE) 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2015 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by theplunger
I sent an email to complain, customer relations credited me 10,000 miles.... wth???? only 10K? serious? for EXP and over 15 hours of mech delay???
Take a look at the compensation threads. I've got 15,000 for a 24 hour international delay, so I think 10,000 is pretty fair for 15 hours.

2014: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-archived.html

2015: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:01 am

International Business (757) Downgrade to Domstic First (757)

Not sure how to handle this with AA as it was an aircraft substitution.

We ended up flying in a domestic 757 product back to the US when the aircraft was supposed to have 757 international business. AA said no compensation for the claim

The fare class was definitely US Airways C class when booked. Did I take it up with the wrong airline (booked on US Airways but all travel on AA)? Or is this just a case of expectations not meeting reality?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on a December 2014 incident. Short version: no IFE for anyone on scheduled 17 hour flight, DFW-HKG, wrote in to complain, got almost instant response offering apology but no compensation; I had noted the compensation I got from Delta (actually everyone on the plane got) for a similar problem earlier in the year - 15k miles, $200 voucher, $50 to spend at arrival airport. People said I should write in again and AA would be more generous.

Six weeks later I just got the response:

Originally Posted by AA Customer Relations
We are very sorry to hear that the entertainment system was not functioning properly on your recent flight. We know this entertainment is a welcome diversion and regret it could not be repaired in flight.

More specifically, there's no doubt your flight would have been more enjoyable with working equipment. I've notified our Maintenance Department to ensure they fix the problem.
I certainly hope they fixed the IFE by now! And still no compensation, even though they apparently needed six weeks to think about the response.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
send an email. I missed a transfer to a flight to NRT once (their fault) and got $300 voucher
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
send an email.
Didn't he already do that?

Originally Posted by theplunger
I sent an email to complain, customer relations credited me 10,000 miles....
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by tom911
Didn't he already do that?
i didn't see that part. That's about all you can do really, sorry for the unhelpful advice.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:49 pm

Unfortunately AA has labor issues, probably due to offshoring maintenance. Not the 1st time and probably more issues to get dumped on customers. EG we have already noticed the MCO counter agents seem grumpy and don't try to help. Another sign AA customers are in for a rough ride.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA
How to deal with AA customer relations [to gain upgrade fail compensation]

I've had an issue with AA reservations: Booked one-way ticket to europe through a travel agent because I had only one eVIP. Got on the upgrade list without any problem. After a while, I received an email from awardwallet that my reservation changed to Biz then downgraded. I contacted AA reservations, was told that it was downgrade because the ticket was invalid because TA made a mistake. Called TA but TA told me everything was fine. And calling back and forth started with AA and TA and lasted unfortunately for a month because both side didn't want to conference call. AA insisted the ticket was invalid, TA insisted everything was fine. AA said I could fly because it was not my mistake but cannot upgrade with eVIP. Finally, organized a conference call from TA's side, suddenly AA said the reservation was valid and upgradeable. Got everything noted on my reservation and got back on the upgrade list but by this time, it was a week before the departure. Asked AA if they could manually upgrade because it was once upgraded but AA said the upgrade never cleared and refused to upgrade. So only part of the flights was upgraded eventually.

I contacted AA Customer relations after the trip but AA finally responded recently after a month of no-response. It looked like a copy-paste response saying just sorry. I responded back and asked for compensation given that it was AA's mistake and couldn't fully use my eVIP but they immediately said "our position hasn't changed". What should I do?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What compensation are you seeking?

If AA at any point sent you an e-ticket with confirmed business class travel and AA did not refund your SWU, you may have a legitimate beef you can take up with the DOT to get the SWU back (in any case just sending short and well-documented complaint through the DOT will make sure that you get someone at AA give a real answer as opposed to clicking a button to email you a form).

If all you're seeking is something to compensate you for your lost time for their gross mistakes, you're probably SOL, especially as a non-elite with AA (as per your profile). You're dealing with an airline who ranks barely above cable companies in term of customer satisfaction and who has the full backing of Congress (e.g. exemption from State customer protection laws) to continue in their behavior. Their mistakes are the customer's problems, not their own. Maybe ask for help from your Congressperson?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
What compensation are you seeking?
To me its reads as if sony2012 paid for an economy fare and flew economy. So what is the issue?
Upgrades are never guaranteed or a 100% entitlement.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
The TA should have dealt with their sales channel at AA prior to departure. Blame your TA, not 'both sides not wanting to conference call'.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by sony2012
I've had an issue with AA reservations: Booked one-way ticket to europe through a travel agent because I had only one eVIP. Got on the upgrade list without any problem. After a while, I received an email from awardwallet that my reservation changed to Biz then downgraded
As an AA EXP, Awardwallet Plus member, and frequent traveler to Europe I can certainly tell you that an email notification from Awardwallet about a change to Biz and then downgraded is extremely common and not to be taken as an indication that your upgrade went through. This is a known glitch within AW and not to be taken as fact. My understanding it that it has to do when AA runs its batch for upgrades.

I have numerous trips booked where I have eVIPs applied too, whenever Awardwallet is updated, I receive numerous emails notifications that the trip is now Biz, and then latter on downgraded. The key part is that the seats NEVER change, only when you truly get upgraded the seats is changed. You do not mention whether the seat changed, nor if you ever received an email from AA regarding your upgraded flight, that would have been the key notification that the upgrade went through. The TA should have been the one to talk to and have then fixed the problem.

Any reason why you didn't book the trip directly through AA and dealt with AA altogether? Was this a complicated itinerary?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: AA
Thanks for your inputs. To clarify, I am a Platinum at AA and always achieve it with points, not miles because I fly mostly business. But I got 85000 points in 2013, so got 1 eVIP, so decided to book one way economy because I've heard the upgrade always clears with enough time. I could have chosen 20000 miles instead of the upgrade, so the compensation I am seeking is either the miles or another eVIP but I am realizing eVIP is not very useful unless I want to fly first class, which is not that impressive and routes are limited. And I didn't receive a direct email from AA, so it could have been a glitch on awardwallet part but I was off the list for a month and so many wasted calls with AA. I used a TA because it was cheaper than AA on kayak. Unfortunately, the TA has to do nothing with the upgrade with eVIP, so I had to deal with AA and their customer service, including the supervisors, were just awful. I usually don't have any problems with my reservations etc so never dealt with them like this before but kinda assumed AA is decent compared to other airlines.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
".....upgrade always clears with enough time?" who told you this?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by sony2012
because I've heard the upgrade always clears with enough time.
Who said this? Depending on route it might be true, but that is not the case across the board, what was your route? JFK-LHR on the new 777are hard too upgrade, so it's Dfw-HKG. Upgrades are not guaranteed, and it's not an entitlement as previously mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.