Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
(ARCHIVE) 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2015 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
IMO you're entitled to nothing beyond the refund. Stuff happens. You got what you paid for (when you receive the refund).
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by KATO_LA

I followed your advice and I am happy to report that the EXP desk matched and threw in some additional miles for the hassle. ^
Effective self-advocacy, IMO.

Goodonya! Thanks for the follow-up report.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I followed your advice and I am happy to report that the EXP desk matched and threw in some additional miles for the hassle. ^
So , you think it is fair that you got more than the others in the end?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP

Were you initially happy/OK with $350 and only got upset when you heard others got more?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Originally Posted by iztok
Were you initially happy/OK with $350 and only got upset when you heard others got more?
It does sound like self-interest, and it prevailed here - regardless.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Exactly. Situation-dependent ethics.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:58 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Paid for First: seat broken - HNL-DFW

Hi,

Just last weekend, I flew on AA102 from HNL-DFW. It was a paid for F-class. Everything was fine when I first boarded, however after take-off, the seat went cuckoo and the controls just started blinking and nothing operated. Purser tried to reset and after that failed, tried to see if manual controls could work, but even that failed.
As it was a red-eye, I was stuck in the vertical position for the whole duration (> 7 hours). I find this totally unacceptable especially as a red-eye flight.
Wrote to customer service, and they are out of goodwill throw me 20000 miles for this. I find this ridiculous especially it is not even a OW F award seat to HNL from any of point in the US.
They are sticking to this after complaining, would like to know if this is acceptable.

Cheers!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Well. technically... He WAS treated differenctly than the others. He got the extra miles because CS messed up their original handling of the problem.

But do get the point of your comment...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pjf66
I don't even know what number I can call to request the refund! And I bet the fare difference betw/ Y and F is minimal...
www.aa.com/refunds but yes the fare difference may be minimal.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
2 Sundays in a row AA 5727 YVR-LAX

My final is SFO but this is part of a trip that included US flights to PHX so AA is the best overall choice to get back to SFO.

Ticket is I class YVR-LAX and P class LAX-SFO, which matters to this dicussion. SFO-PHX and PHX-YVR were US operated and purchased separately from YVR-LAX-SFO which is AE/AA operated.

Short version: due to cancels and delays, had to take Westjet in a middle seat for the long portion of the trip and almost had an unplanned overnight connection.

What I asked for: original routing credit for the I fare for the current promo (2.0 total EQPs). What I got: 15,000 miles and a request to consider a refund for the downgrade. On the 19th, the Admirals club said that any downgrade refund would probably be very minimal because I had gotten a very good fare here ($363 one way .

Details:

April 12: AA 5727 cancels (confirmed as mechanical by CS) after I'm inside the preclearance area at YVR, making things very difficult as there is no agent in sight and I want to do anything I can to avoid having to re-enter Canada, go to the counter and then re-enter the US (which could easily take 60-90 minutes).

I call as soon as I'm admitted by US Customs (can't use phone until then) and they cannot find anything the same day. I ask about UA at 6:00 am Monday but they want me to fly AS to LAX at 6:00 am and connect to AA arrving 11:30 am. This does not interest me given that I have an event at 12:30 that day. I finally get the agent to change my departure date to April 19 (same routing and flight times) and I buy my own ticket on AS with an overnight in Seattle that gets me to SFO by 8:30 a.m. on Monday and returns to YVR a few days later. I am happy doing this because I can buy it with my AS number and get my gold privileges which include no change fees and I have some cushion to make my event.

Agent has to bend some rules because the YVR-SFO ticket is actually bought as a one-way to minimize the code-sharing hassles and the current fare is much higher than what I paid. Agent gets essentially the same seats and I'm satisfied and can stay inside the preclearance area until the 8:30 pm flight to SEA. (In the end I am actually able to run to an SEA-OAK flight and get home Sunday after all.)

Rebook date of April 19: AA 5727 takes a 33 minute delay, which makes it impossible to get to the mainline AA 2465, and there are no seats out of LAX later in the day. Agents at YVR ticket counter rebook me to Westjet, after the check-in cutoff time as it takes them a really long time to figure it out and of course Westjet has nothing but middle seats left. In 20 minutes I have gone from business in an A seat on a CRJ to economy with no legroom middle, and a terminal change with second security clearance. Finally Westjet can check me in (late) and I receive SSSS. I have 35 minutes to get SSSS security, US customs and make it to the gate, and somehow I do, but ugh.

Looks like I won't get the original routing credit based on their somewhat canned response. The Westjet flight didn't post at all but the LAX-SFO did. Any suggestions?

Last edited by makfan; Apr 21, 2015 at 12:08 pm Reason: Arrival time typo
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
To make a long story short:
AA mechanical at origin a few days ago, rebooked on delta. The ramp kindly retrieves my bag so I can recheck it with delta. Of course I have to pay the $25 since I neither have delta status nor a delta credit card. Wrote into AA to ask for reimbursement, they offer 5k miles instead. I want the $25 out of principle. Formulating my reply back at the moment.
Update: Over a week ago I emailed AA back, saying while I appreciate the 5K miles, I would much rather have an e-voucher, and that a voucher would provide much better recognition from a customer's perspective of the inconvenience caused, and would also help retain my loyalty. Threw in some fluff saying this isn't to discount how much I value AA miles since I redeemed well north of 200K last year, and I appreciate them not gutting the FFP (yet), etc etc.

Just today received a $50 e-voucher from AA. Funny thing is they took the miles back, which cracks me up. Still, impressed to get $50 when all I asked for was $25! So - bottom line is if you're persistent you *may* get something tangible rather than a few thousand miles.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
Who cares? If you found out a coworker that does the same work as you was getting a higher pay, wouldn't you want to make a case to be paid more?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:50 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Just last weekend, I flew on AA102 from HNL-DFW. It was a paid for F-class. Everything was fine when I first boarded, however after take-off, the seat went cuckoo and the controls just started blinking and nothing operated. Purser tried to reset and after that failed, tried to see if manual controls could work, but even that failed.
As it was a red-eye, I was stuck in the vertical position for the whole duration (> 7 hours). I find this totally unacceptable especially as a red-eye flight.
Wrote to customer service, and they are out of goodwill throw me 20000 miles for this. I find this ridiculous especially it is not even a OW F award seat to HNL from any of point in the US.
They are sticking to this after complaining, would like to know if this is acceptable.

Cheers!
Stop complaining. I think this is an extremely generous offer. Busted seat TPAC/TATL normally commands 15000.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 1K; DL Plat; AS MVP Gold 75K; US Air Chairman; Dollar Express
Well, all I can say is that I am glad they did the right thing. In the end, I will still give more back to the airline to maintain my status.

We were travelling together for a conference. The people with the $500 voucher were acquaintances from the very same company I work for. Same origin city. Same booking constraints. The only exception is that I have tier status and they don't. So yes, I was a little butt hurt by it.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
The only exception is that I have tier status and they don't. So yes, I was a little butt hurt by it.
I know you meant "bit" instead of "butt"...but that has to be the funniest typo I've read on FlyerTalk thus far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.