Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:12 am

AA 5 DFW-HNL April 2015

April 2015
American Airlines Hawaiian Flagship Service

AA 5
DFW to HNL

Thank you for choosing American. It's our pleasure to offer you a variety of dining options on your flight today.

Appetizer
Lettuce Wrap
With ground chicken and broccoli slaw

Salad
Mixed Greens with Roasted tomatoes, artichoke hearts and feta cheese
With creamy Italian dressing

King's Hawaiian rolls will be served with your meal.

Entrees
Hibachi Chicken
With sweet potato mash, zucchini and yellow squash
Or
Crimini Mushroom Ravioli
With sundried tomato cream sauce

Dessert
Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
Vanilla ice cream with your choice of hot fudge, strawberry or pineapple toppings, whipped cream and pecans

Fruit and cheese plate

Prior to Arrival
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Warmed on Board

Gourmet Cheese Plate
An assortment of fine cheeses with garnishes

2Cls, First, HFS Lunch/Dinner-Snack
73PM020 4/15 103H020-3

PS. Thanks for a fellow friend for sending me a picture of the menu!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:53 am

I'm a little confused and have read contradicting posts regarding the Business Class service and catering on the JFK - LAX transcons.

Are the meal courses (lunch/dinner) served separately? Starter followed by main etc? Or is it just a 'one tray service'?

And are there pillows and duvets on each seat (I read one post on this thread saying they now have to be requested).

Many Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bananahead
Are the meal courses (lunch/dinner) served separately? Starter followed by main etc? Or is it just a 'one tray service'?
Normally served separately (starter and salad together, then main) but on redeyes and some late westbound flights (~8pm or later) it may all be served together.

Originally Posted by bananahead
And are there pillows and duvets on each seat (I read one post on this thread saying they now have to be requested).
Yes, they should be at all seats when you board the plane.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt
It's a big improvement from how the oatmeal was served to me last month
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's just for the premium transcon routes.
Answering my own question a bit. I just had the oatmeal on PHX-SEA (US operated). Dried fruit and plastic cup for the brown sugar, but the portion of oatmeal was transcon-sized and a carton of milk was provided. I'll consider that meeting me halfway
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Oatmeal on Saturday's AA LAX/AUS was served with dried fruit, sugar in a plastic cup, and a carton of milk. Biscuit still not 1/3 as good as it used to be.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by _kurt
Answering my own question a bit. I just had the oatmeal on PHX-SEA (US operated). Dried fruit and plastic cup for the brown sugar, but the portion of oatmeal was transcon-sized and a carton of milk was provided. I'll consider that meeting me halfway
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Oatmeal on Saturday's AA LAX/AUS was served with dried fruit, sugar in a plastic cup, and a carton of milk. Biscuit still not 1/3 as good as it used to be.
What's the report on linens?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
What's the report on linens?
Just did a weekend roundtrip from SAN-DFW-LGA and all four legs lacked linens and PDBs
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
No linens on CLT-DFW (AA 738) last Friday. Meal choices were the same TV dinner pasta or unknown slop chicken...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Wow, seriously? It seems like more flights doesn't get linens than these that do. Is something wrong? Missing procedural instructions for flight attendants/catering, or just a slow rollout? April is already almost over, and linens were supposed to be effective 4/1.

I really hope AA didn't rethink linens and decide to just yank them at the last minute. It's baffling, the absence of linens for the most part.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Wow, seriously? It seems like more flights doesn't get linens than these that do. Is something wrong? Missing procedural instructions for flight attendants/catering, or just a slow rollout? April is already almost over, and linens were supposed to be effective 4/1.

I really hope AA didn't rethink linens and decide to just yank them at the last minute. It's baffling, the absence of linens for the most part.
On my flight, the FA said they were double-catered at DFW (DFW-CLT-DFW), which surprised me. I would have figured that LAA could use the catering company that services LUS at CLT, but I guess not...

Have another meal flight this coming weekend, so I'll keep an eye out for the linens.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Received linens (covering the tray table) last week for breakfast DEN-ORD.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
To me the most baffling thing is the complete lack of consistency at the combined airline. Either do it right, or just don't do it at all and save AA the embarrassment.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
To me the most baffling thing is the complete lack of consistency at the combined airline. Either do it right, or just don't do it at all and save AA the embarrassment.
And save this forum the endless crocodile-tear hand-wringing here.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by JonNYC
And save this forum the endless crocodile-tear hand-wringing here.
We live in hope ...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
You guys should head over to UA and look at their new domestic meals, particularly transcon.

It's sad but UA's new offerings blow US, I mean AA, out of the water.

AA is pathetic.

I just booked a last minute UA F ticket over AA and this is coming from someone who really disliked UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.