Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by SFO777
HNL-DFW
AA 8
Ancient 767-300
5:40P-6:20A +1
July 23, 2015
"Dinner" and Continental Breakfast

AA catering garbage continues...
Mercifully I was on a discounted HNL-NAS ticket and didn't have to pay the ridiculous $1,500+ one way fare on this relic of a plane. Classy PDB glasses as always. At least there was PDB service.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3902-L.jpg

Choice of mahi mahi and Thai Vegetable Curry. Seriously?? I kid you not. Seatmate ordered that one and it was basically a bowl of colored rice, with a few shreds of unknown veggies and essence of curry. Glad I didn't order that one.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...MG_3903-XL.jpg

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3913-L.jpg

And just in case you wanted more rice with your rice bowl. LOL. Spicy Ginger Salmon Tartar with sushi rice as opposed to jasmine rice in the curry rice bowl. And by all means, serve one fish that has to be flown to Hawaii. Not doubt a lot cheaper than local ahi. Had a very strange taste that even the spicy ginger couldn't kill.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3914-L.jpg

Salad?? The wedge turned out to be a couple of strips of nutritious iceberg lettuce with beets and blue cheese. Close to tasteless and virtually inedible.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3915-L.jpg

For my main, I opted for what I thought would be the lesser of the evils, herb crusted mahi mahi. Perhaps it might have been passable if it had not been overcooked by, I'm guessing, hours. Pathetically dry and tasteless. Not nearly enough sauce to save this sucker. The only saving grace on this meal was that catering has not yet eliminated the best part of Hawaii meals... Hawaiian King rolls. No doubt with only $1.9B in Q2 earnings, it's only a matter of time.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3917-L.jpg

Choice of "Gourmet" Cheese Plate, LOL or Traditional Ice Cream sundae no doubt provided by the lowest bidder no name ice cream maker.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3919-L.jpg

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3920-L.jpg

At T-60 continental breakfast and the scone was the best meal of this flight.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3921-L.jpg

DFW-MIA
AA 2345
Refurbished 767-300
7:10A-11:09A
July 24, 2015
Breakfast

Pleasantly surprised to go from an tired 763 and equally tired DFW-based crew to a comfy and refurbished 763 with a great crew.

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3950-L.jpg

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3951-L.jpg

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3953-L.jpg

Choice of steelcut oatmeal or omelet, the one meal that AA seems to get right. ^

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3955-L.jpg

https://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/AA-...IMG_3959-L.jpg
How did you like the new flatbed on the 767? Better than DL's, which you previously said you'd never fly on again?

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 26, 2015 at 3:21 pm Reason: Removed img tags. Please don't quote all the pictures unless necessary!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Longboater
How did you like the new flatbed on the 767? Better than DL's, which you previously said you'd never fly on again?
I really liked it, then again I was coming off a relic 767.

But this seat is way better than the DL 767 Business seat. The seat as a bed was very comfortable and not confining. I was able to turn on the bed without having to take my feet out. Though still unlikely to fly this internationally when there are so many other better foreign options out there.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
I really liked it, then again I was coming off a relic 767.

But this seat is way better than the DL 767 Business seat. The seat as a bed was very comfortable and not confining. I was able to turn on the bed without having to take my feet out. Though still unlikely to fly this internationally when there are so many other better foreign options out there.
In a few years, when AA has finished retiring their non CIP 767s, this version will be doing DFW-Hawai'i or the LUS A330s. Would be a pretty decent flight to the islands but then again there are rumours UA will be installing the new J seat when they begin to reconfigure the 777s and other Hawai'i 777s for domestic use and 3-4-3 in the rear.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Stinky Potatoes

Does anyone else find that the potatoes served with Americans breakfasts smell disgusting and aren't proper potatoes for breakfast. They usually taste like paper and have weird seasoning on them. I can tell when a meal has them because the plane starts smelling nasty.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aero0729
Does anyone else find that the potatoes served with Americans breakfasts smell disgusting and aren't proper potatoes for breakfast. They usually taste like paper and have weird seasoning on them. I can tell when a meal has them because the plane starts smelling nasty.
The ones that come w/the strata aren't too bad. The ones I had yesterday ORD-PHX, all 4 pieces, w/the Quiche Florentine were very under cooked, though the quiche itself was piping hot. Biscuits weren't even luke warm.

FA doing the serving couldn't get thru the service fast enough so she could sit in the jump seat w/her full on laptop out-never seen that one before! Also 'interesting' in that while she had her wings on, had absolutely NO other ID visible-not the metal name plate I know they are supposed to wear or her dog tags.

Once breakfast was cleared, neither she or the guy working up front w/her ever came thru the cabin again unless summoned
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
The cookies and ice cream were once a great novelty in the air but the quality is now so low that regular cold plated desserts like cake would be preferable.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
food in Flagship F looks amazing
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:46 am

CLE-DFW one month ago

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 26, 2015 at 2:07 am Reason: UA meals are OT on the AA fora
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:50 am

Breakfast PDX-DFW

Lunch pasta DFW-CLE
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
The cookies and ice cream were once a great novelty in the air but the quality is now so low that regular cold plated desserts like cake would be preferable.
Say what you like about the cookies, but the ice cream on AA/US is Ben and Jerry's... few people would consider that to be low quality ice cream.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
Say what you like about the cookies, but the ice cream on AA/US is Ben and Jerry's... few people would consider that to be low quality ice cream.
Granted, I have not looked in a while but Ben and Jerry's used/uses High Fructose Corn Syrup which is not a required ingredient for ice cream and thus lowers it on my totem pole, but I openly admit that I am a bit of an ingredient snob and find that with the exception of a few store brands which advertise that they only use Sugar all store bought ice cream uses High Fructose Corn Syrup.

As for AA, I thought that AA only used Ben and Jerry's from mainland USA based stations or where they could source it, otherwise it was whatever the local caterer was able to obtain. In my experience when the local caterer is left to obtain ingredients they tend to cheap out and I generally can tell when the local caterer didn't follow the airline spec.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Say what you like about the cookies, but the ice cream on AA/US is Ben and Jerry's... .
LOL. Sure they do. If they really served Ben & Jerry's for the sundaes, they'd be proudly stating so on the menu instead of "Tahitian vanilla ice cream".

Last edited by SFO777; Jul 26, 2015 at 6:54 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At what point does AA harmonize dinner service times no doubt down to the earlier cut-off?

CLT-DEN 8:25P: Dinner
MIA-DEN 8:15P: Nothing

Fortunately, the MIA Centurion Lounge is now open, ironically and conveniently adjacent to the D15 Admirals Club.
Had an excellent dinner and couple glasses of wine prior to boarding Friday night's 8:15P MIA-DEN AA57.
This must be one sign AA would rather not see.

With no dinner service, no rush to any service by this crew. Yo, the bright screen gives you away.

Drink service at...

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 2015 at 1:04 pm Reason: Deleted unrelated photos (better suited trip report or...)
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Correction. The ice cream served on AA was B&J. Post merger it was changed to some other provider. I'm not sure if it was changed back or not.

At what point does AA harmonize dinner service times no doubt down to the earlier cut-off?

Fortunately, the MIA Centurion Lounge is now open, ironically and conveniently adjacent to the D15 Admirals Club.
Had an excellent dinner and couple glasses of wine prior to boarding Friday night's 8:15P MIA-DEN AA57.

Drink service at...
That's super random. Especially since MIA-DEN should be a longer flight. Thank goodness there's one good thing about MIA now, the CL. Makes a serviceless extended midcon flight at 8:15pm just a little more tolerable than it otherwise would be.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 2015 at 12:42 pm Reason: Remove repeated images
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

With no dinner service, no rush to any service by this crew. Yo, the bright screen gives you away.

Drink service at...
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Mr iPad/FA did not provide a PDB?

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 2015 at 12:43 pm Reason: Remove repeated images

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.