Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Isn't this just the standard pmUS breakfast box that was given for redeyes? (And to your point, yes it is bad, almost as bad as the Caribbean-origin AA breakfasts)
I imagine, though I'm not really sure. I can't remember the last US red-eye I flew (if ever). I assume the Caribbean-origin AA breakfasts you're referring to are the double-catered ones which are shelf-stable and include pre-packaged cinnamon rolls, a Dole fruit cup, etc. If yes, agreed, those are terrible.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:08 am

Isn't this just the standard pmUS breakfast box that was given for redeyes? (And to your point, yes it is bad, almost as bad as the Caribbean-origin AA breakfasts)
I flew many many pmUS redeyes - it was usually cz/crackers/grapes after takeoff and pass the snack basket.

I don't ever remember getting the box.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I flew many many pmUS redeyes - it was usually cz/crackers/grapes after takeoff and pass the snack basket.

Really? AA recently "reintroduced" snack service on midcon/non-premium transcon redeyes (the small fruit/cheese or pita/hummus plates), and a continental breakfast box in addition on 2200+ mile flights. Prior to that, there was nothing on all redeyes except for LAX-MIA; SFO/LAX-JFK, and only the breakfast box on 2200+ mile flights. Even prior to that (as in, prior to 9/1), pmAA redeyes got a "supper" service (3 choices - usually a soup, salad, sandwich, or fruit/cheese large plate with ice-cream) on all transcons, and nothing on midcons but warmed nuts/cookies. pmUS had absolutely nothing (I remember flying SFO-PHL in 2011, we got NOTHING, not even a continental breakfast box).

So, where are you getting the "pmUS redeyes - usually cz/crackers/grapes"? That may be true for current US redeyes, but pmUS definitely didn't serve those on any of their redeyes.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Really? AA recently "reintroduced" snack service on midcon/non-premium transcon redeyes (the small fruit/cheese or pita/hummus plates), and a continental breakfast box in addition on 2200+ mile flights. Prior to that, there was nothing on all redeyes except for LAX-MIA; SFO/LAX-JFK. Even prior to that (as in, prior to 9/1), pmAA redeyes got a "supper" service (3 choices - usually a soup, salad, sandwich, or fruit/cheese large plate with ice-cream) on all transcons, and nothing on midcons but warmed nuts/cookies. pmUS had absolutely nothing (I remember flying SFO-PHL in 2011, we got NOTHING, not even a continental breakfast box).

So, where are you getting the "pmUS redeyes - usually cz/crackers/grapes"? That may be true for current US redeyes, but pmUS definitely didn't serve those on any redeyes.
Yes they did. Flew SEA-CLT redeye 7+ times a year for multiple years. Almost always the same... cz/crackers/grapes after takeoff, basket later. (Occasionally not catered, in which case, basket after takeoff.)

Don't think for one minute the cz and crackers were anything great - it was two slices of cz and the prepackaged cheap crackers. And a few red grapes.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Yes they did. Flew SEA-CLT redeye 7+ times a year for multiple years. Almost always the same... cz/crackers/grapes after takeoff, basket later. (Occasionally not catered, in which case, basket after takeoff.)

Don't think for one minute the cz and crackers were anything great - it was two slices of cz and the prepackaged cheap crackers. And a few red grapes.
Were they served on a plate?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:39 am

Hmm...I definitely got one at some point. This thread seems to imply that I'm not crazy, no? I am thinking I had in fact gotten it on SEA-CLT.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Hmm...I definitely got one at some point. This thread seems to imply that I'm not crazy, no? I am thinking I had in fact gotten it on SEA-CLT.
The link given by Arlflyer implies that the transcon redeye s/he was on did have a breakfast box, but nothing about the fruit/cheese plate after departure?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:18 pm

The link given by Arlflyer implies that the transcon redeye s/he was on did have a breakfast box, but nothing about the fruit/cheese plate after departure?
I can't speak to all pmUS redeyes. I can only speak of my years on the route. Stopped flying it about 2-3 years ago.

I never got a breakfast box on that route.

I flew it so many times it is hard to think I am misremembering, but in fairness, it was 2-3 years and 400k+ miles ago.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:22 pm

I can't speak to all pmUS redeyes. I can only speak of my years on the route. Stopped flying it about 2-3 years ago.

I never got a breakfast box on that route.

I flew it so many times it is hard to think I am misremembering, but in fairness, it was 2-3 years and 400k+ miles ago.
Yeah, when I flew that route it was more recent than 3 years ago but before any service consolidation with AA. There was no cheese plate, only the snack basket a couple times while in the air (I distinctly remember it because the guy across the aisle from me spent the entire flight eating potato chips and staring directly at the back of the seat in front of him) and then they passed out these boxes right before landing. Given the dates of the thread I linked to, it sounds like that was the new standard starting in mid-2013 or so.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:42 pm

Yeah, when I flew that route it was more recent than 3 years ago but before any service consolidation with AA. There was no cheese plate, only the snack basket a couple times while in the air (I distinctly remember it because the guy across the aisle from me spent the entire flight eating potato chips and staring directly at the back of the seat in front of him) and then they passed out these boxes right before landing. Given the dates of the thread I linked to, it sounds like that was the new standard starting in mid-2013 or so.
I definitely stopped flying that route before then. Funny how what seemed to be differing stories gel when you put the dates in there.

I think we got to the bottom of it, without name calling! A flyertalk first!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Snack service returns to short-haul flights??

DEN-DFW
AA 372
MD-80
August 17, 2015
12:56P-3:53P
1:25 flight time
Light Snack

OMG, an AA PDB sighting! Obviously a newbie as she also welcomed "our A-A Advantage members". Mixed nuts. LOL, not much mix here.

But the shocker.. would we like a light snack, cheese plate or spinach and artichoke dip plate? The cheese plate looked like the typical dessert option. But the spinach and artichoke was pretty good although I'd hate to think about the calories.

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I definitely stopped flying that route before then. Funny how what seemed to be differing stories gel when you put the dates in there.

I think we got to the bottom of it, without name calling! A flyertalk first!
I flew SFO-PHL (redeye) in November 2011, and there was nothing (no cheese plate, no prearrival continental breakfast box) at all other than drinks and a small, meager snack basket.

Add that datapoint. Perhaps the cheese plate was discontinued in pmUS redeye transcon F before 2011? Hard to believe, because April 2011 brought some pmUS F improvements across the board.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Anyone remember the dreaded "cold chicken" plate?????
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Anyone remember the dreaded "cold chicken" plate?????
No, actually. Was this a pmAA menu item? A typical snAAck service would have an entree salad with protein plated on the side (similar to today's lunch options though with a slightly larger portion size) or a wrap/sandwich choice, think chicken curry or roast beef wrap. I'm struggling to remember a cold plate option though.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by SFO777
Mixed nuts. LOL, not much mix here.
I've been thinking the exact same thing for my last couple of flights.
I think AA must have gotten a boatload of cashews on the cheap. You'll often get a few almonds, maybe a pecan if you're lucky. The pistachio though, is the most elusive nut in the bowl - maybe 1 in 4 flights you might find one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.